Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Thumbs up Easy trick to get a new S4 from T Mobile without KNOX bootloader!

OP djcmn

24th January 2014, 01:29 PM   |  #1  
djcmn's Avatar
OP Member
Flag New Hope, MN
Thanks Meter: 22
 
59 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2012
More
If you are planning on getting a new one of these at a T Mobile store, DO NOT boot it up normally, even to set up a new SIM. Tell them you want to power it up first without a SIM and then do the following:

Boot into recovery and choose factory reset, then follow by wiping the cache.

These phones have been restickered to include Android 4.3 and KNOX, but on first start it will start updating android from the cache because it is still the original stock 4.22 without the KNOX bootloader.

I just did this yesterday because my previous one dropped and the LCD broke, so I needed a new one. I already had a SIM so instead of having them set it up, I did it myself. On first bootup with the back cover still off, I saw it updating so I immediately pulled the battery to stop it. I then booted into recovery and did the factory reset and cleaned the cache. Happiness followed when I saw it was indeed Android 4.22 with SELinux as permissive. Of course from there I immediately used ODIN to perform the CF Auto Root, update SuperSu pro and install my favorite root apps

I figured there might be a few people here who might want to know this little trick.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to djcmn For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th January 2014, 02:27 PM   |  #2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 191
 
1,051 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2009
More
good tips. Thank you
24th January 2014, 02:42 PM   |  #3  
johnny crapple's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 66
 
203 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2011
This could come in handy thanks
25th January 2014, 12:12 AM   |  #4  
ShinySide's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag IHB
Thanks Meter: 2,841
 
2,408 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2013
More
Wait.... Did it go into recovery? If not it wasn't updating.... If you're talking about the "Android is upgrading" and x of x that was your cache building....

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
25th January 2014, 01:32 AM   |  #5  
johnny crapple's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 66
 
203 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinySide

Wait.... Did it go into recovery? If not it wasn't updating.... If you're talking about the "Android is upgrading" and x of x that was your cache building....

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Good question I didn't think of that.
25th January 2014, 10:22 AM   |  #6  
djcmn's Avatar
OP Member
Flag New Hope, MN
Thanks Meter: 22
 
59 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinySide

Wait.... Did it go into recovery? If not it wasn't updating.... If you're talking about the "Android is upgrading" and x of x that was your cache building....

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

If you let that updating finish you will end up with 4.3 ( and the KNOX garbage) and it will be too late to go back to the original 4.22 without the KNOX bootloader. A friend of mine just bought one for his kid yesterday and that's what happened. This kid really wanted his new phone set up like mine is. I went back there later in the day with him and said the internet wasn't working properly and we did an exchange. I told the lady at the store we were short on time and to just pull the SIM and put it in the box with new phone and I will set it up for him later. We got back to the house and I did the factory reset and cache wipe in recovery before starting it up normally. Confirmed he now has 4.22 and SELinux permissive like I do. My friend doesn't know these phones like I do, so it is good that his son has the same Android version that I do so I can help him if there is problems, especially since many employees at the T Mobile stores are clueless and or course I was the one that rooted it and set it up.

Ha, I did not put Android Tuner by C2 on it though because of what that app can do.
Last edited by djcmn; 25th January 2014 at 10:30 AM.
26th January 2014, 05:56 PM   |  #7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 38
 
332 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by djcmn

If you let that updating finish you will end up with 4.3 ( and the KNOX garbage) and it will be too late to go back to the original 4.22 without the KNOX bootloader. A friend of mine just bought one for his kid yesterday and that's what happened. This kid really wanted his new phone set up like mine is. I went back there later in the day with him and said the internet wasn't working properly and we did an exchange. I told the lady at the store we were short on time and to just pull the SIM and put it in the box with new phone and I will set it up for him later. We got back to the house and I did the factory reset and cache wipe in recovery before starting it up normally. Confirmed he now has 4.22 and SELinux permissive like I do. My friend doesn't know these phones like I do, so it is good that his son has the same Android version that I do so I can help him if there is problems, especially since many employees at the T Mobile stores are clueless and or course I was the one that rooted it and set it up.

Ha, I did not put Android Tuner by C2 on it though because of what that app can do.

my update finished and I don't have knox...
If you booted directly into recovery without turning the phone on completely, how would you even know if it had knox or not? not all are shipping with the 4.3 update.
26th January 2014, 08:20 PM   |  #8  
djcmn's Avatar
OP Member
Flag New Hope, MN
Thanks Meter: 22
 
59 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTCMDA

my update finished and I don't have knox...
If you booted directly into recovery without turning the phone on completely, how would you even know if it had knox or not? not all are shipping with the 4.3 update.

Please reread what you just quoted me as saying. I will add that all 3 devices came from the same T Mobile store that had only the newer restickered boxes with the 4.3 update. When replacing mine I specifically asked if they had any without the update and they said they didn't because all they had was boxes with the new stickers.

The first one my friends kid got went through the update, and I saw the 4.3 version in " About Device" before we returned it, although I did not actually look for KNOX. The second one was 4.22 when I did the recovery trick which confirmed my suspicion.

The OP was about the one I replaced for myself, and I just acted on a hunch when I first booted up and saw " Android is updating" and stopped it.
28th January 2014, 07:09 AM   |  #9  
TravisAntonio's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Santo Domingo
Thanks Meter: 131
 
565 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2011
Donate to Me
More
Nice and very quick reaction time, maybe you could get dual wielding.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
29th January 2014, 04:16 AM   |  #10  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 39
 
284 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2012
....I just did this on a replacement phone and it did not work. Booted straight into recovery, wiped cache and did a factory reset with no luck as to what the OP is claiming here.

Phone still has 4.3

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes