Github Tutorial App Shows You How to Use… Github

Github can get pretty complicated and using it can become quite daunting, especially … more

Google Glass-like Clip-On For Regular Glasses Developed by Sony

For the price of $2,000, a pair of glasses that can run apps, take pictures, … more

Micromax Takes OnePlus to Court! Android Wear Receives Lollipop – XDA TV

Android 5.0 Lollipop is available officially for the Moto 360! … more

Google Invites Selected Devs to Buy Project Tango Development Kit

Just about a month ago, the curious Project Tango development kit was … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Cool [Q] Slate 7 Extreme root,flash question

OP crazyhacker202

15th May 2014, 07:42 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
4 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2014
Hi, I am a happy owner of the HP Slate 7 Extreme which is basically the same device as you guys are using.I am still on the 4.2 Jelly bean since HP are not pushing over the air updates with our devices.I want to use the script from the development forum "[Script] [Utility] Nvidia Tegra Note 7 Kitkat Unlock BL, Restore, Recovery, & Root", I want to know if anyone has tried to use it with the Slate Extreme or if it simply should work on the Jelly Bean aswell. Thanks guys.
Last edited by crazyhacker202; 15th May 2014 at 08:11 PM.
17th May 2014, 08:23 PM   |  #2  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
4 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2014
still have freeze/hang issue..

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...2663449&page=2
Last edited by mofared; 17th May 2014 at 08:57 PM.
18th May 2014, 07:19 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
4 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofared

still have freeze/hang issue..

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...2663449&page=2

What about the 4.3+ ?
19th May 2014, 07:14 AM   |  #4  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
4 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhacker202

What about the 4.3+ ?

i have not test that yet but i believe it should work because i have tested the 4.4.2 and 4.2.2 evga ROM from here using the cwm install from sdcard method..

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2627671

The only thing that puzzles me now is i am unable to perform a system recovery from HP update.zip using cwm.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...t=6608632#N147

So right now i am stuck with 4.2.2 evga ROM all is good and functional.

I have read some post that by updating OTA fix issue in 4.4 but i have no idea on how to get the OTA update.

p/s: This is my first tablet and root attempt...

edit:

i found out that rootjunky has already released the 4.4.2 with 2.3 OTA i will give it a try and feedback later
Last edited by mofared; 19th May 2014 at 09:51 AM. Reason: 4.4.2 2.3
20th May 2014, 02:11 AM   |  #5  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
1 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofared

i have not test that yet but i believe it should work because i have tested the 4.4.2 and 4.2.2 evga ROM from here using the cwm install from sdcard method..

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2627671

The only thing that puzzles me now is i am unable to perform a system recovery from HP update.zip using cwm.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...t=6608632#N147

So right now i am stuck with 4.2.2 evga ROM all is good and functional.

I have read some post that by updating OTA fix issue in 4.4 but i have no idea on how to get the OTA update.

p/s: This is my first tablet and root attempt...

edit:

i found out that rootjunky has already released the 4.4.2 with 2.3 OTA i will give it a try and feedback later

First, nope, you'll still get freezing. I've tried all the ROMs.

Second, If you want to go back to HP's recovery, do the following:
  1. Create a copy of update.zip and navigate to META-INF\com\google\android and open up updater-script
  2. Delete the first three lines.
  3. Transfer your new update.zip to your device and flash. Allow it to re-write the recovery partition.
  4. NOTE THAT YOUR DEVICE WILL NOT ADVANCE PAST THE BOOT ANIMATION. THIS IS NORMAL.
  5. Copy the original update.zip to a SD card and insert it into the device.
  6. Now go to the HP recovery partition that now exists on your device and follow HP's restore instructions.
  7. You're done, the stock 4.2.2 that came with your device is now installed.

Had to figure this out the hard way after I lost my original backup.

To the original poster, you can get it to work, but you need to make modifications to the script's fastboot commands (they will require "fastboot -i 0x03F0" before they will do anything) and you will need to setup your machine for ADB with the Slate 7 Extreme. It won't work out of the box, you can find support for that here: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Android...s/td-p/2574571
27th May 2014, 03:45 PM   |  #6  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
1 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2013
There was an individual who has received the 4.4.2 update from HP on his Slate Extreme over at the HP forums. I believe he stated he received 20 units donated directly from HP and was wondering why only 1 of them received the update. I believe the reason stated is that he most likely received a non-retail unit by accident. Not sure if he ever dumped the ROM or even knows how. I don't know either otherwise I'd try to contact him to get him to do so.
13th July 2014, 06:32 AM   |  #7  
Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
33 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2007
More
Re-write recovery partition?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo_Leader

First, nope, you'll still get freezing. I've tried all the ROMs.

Second, If you want to go back to HP's recovery, do the following:

  1. Create a copy of update.zip and navigate to META-INF\com\google\android and open up updater-script
  2. Delete the first three lines.
  3. Transfer your new update.zip to your device and flash. Allow it to re-write the recovery partition.
  4. NOTE THAT YOUR DEVICE WILL NOT ADVANCE PAST THE BOOT ANIMATION. THIS IS NORMAL.
  5. Copy the original update.zip to a SD card and insert it into the device.
  6. Now go to the HP recovery partition that now exists on your device and follow HP's restore instructions.
  7. You're done, the stock 4.2.2 that came with your device is now installed.

Had to figure this out the hard way after I lost my original backup.

To the original poster, you can get it to work, but you need to make modifications to the script's fastboot commands (they will require "fastboot -i 0x03F0" before they will do anything) and you will need to setup your machine for ADB with the Slate 7 Extreme. It won't work out of the box, you can find support for that here: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Android...s/td-p/2574571

I did flash the modified update.zip but CWM doesn't give me the option to re-write the recovery partition. I go straight to "Install from sdcard complete". How is that re-write done?

*Update* All done - Had to select NO to questions on reboot (Replace recovery and root). Thanks so much - back to stock 4.2.2
Last edited by Belmichel; 13th July 2014 at 06:49 AM.
18th August 2014, 04:21 AM   |  #8  
justjayhere's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 212
 
672 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmichel

I did flash the modified update.zip but CWM doesn't give me the option to re-write the recovery partition. I go straight to "Install from sdcard complete". How is that re-write done?

*Update* All done - Had to select NO to questions on reboot (Replace recovery and root). Thanks so much - back to stock 4.2.2

See my HP Slate 7 Extreme Root post: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2850893
22nd October 2014, 05:25 AM   |  #9  
Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
31 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2010
What am I supposed to open updater-script with?

---------- Post added at 03:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:31 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo_Leader

First, nope, you'll still get freezing. I've tried all the ROMs.

Second, If you want to go back to HP's recovery, do the following:

  1. Create a copy of update.zip and navigate to META-INF\com\google\android and open up updater-script
  2. Delete the first three lines.
  3. Transfer your new update.zip to your device and flash. Allow it to re-write the recovery partition.
  4. NOTE THAT YOUR DEVICE WILL NOT ADVANCE PAST THE BOOT ANIMATION. THIS IS NORMAL.
  5. Copy the original update.zip to a SD card and insert it into the device.
  6. Now go to the HP recovery partition that now exists on your device and follow HP's restore instructions.
  7. You're done, the stock 4.2.2 that came with your device is now installed.

Had to figure this out the hard way after I lost my original backup.

To the original poster, you can get it to work, but you need to make modifications to the script's fastboot commands (they will require "fastboot -i 0x03F0" before they will do anything) and you will need to setup your machine for ADB with the Slate 7 Extreme. It won't work out of the box, you can find support for that here: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Android...s/td-p/2574571



---------- Post added at 04:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:47 AM ----------

I downloaded a script editor and deleted the first three lines of updater script but it still fails to flash.
Last edited by loner6996; 22nd October 2014 at 04:56 AM.
31st October 2014, 01:36 AM   |  #10  
Member
Flag New River, AZ
Thanks Meter: 10
 
42 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2010
Finally success!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo_Leader

First, nope, you'll still get freezing. I've tried all the ROMs.

Second, If you want to go back to HP's recovery, do the following:

  1. Create a copy of update.zip and navigate to META-INF\com\google\android and open up updater-script
  2. Delete the first three lines.
  3. Transfer your new update.zip to your device and flash. Allow it to re-write the recovery partition.
  4. NOTE THAT YOUR DEVICE WILL NOT ADVANCE PAST THE BOOT ANIMATION. THIS IS NORMAL.
  5. Copy the original update.zip to a SD card and insert it into the device.
  6. Now go to the HP recovery partition that now exists on your device and follow HP's restore instructions.
  7. You're done, the stock 4.2.2 that came with your device is now installed.

Had to figure this out the hard way after I lost my original backup.

To the original poster, you can get it to work, but you need to make modifications to the script's fastboot commands (they will require "fastboot -i 0x03F0" before they will do anything) and you will need to setup your machine for ADB with the Slate 7 Extreme. It won't work out of the box, you can find support for that here: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Android...s/td-p/2574571

I have the 4450 extreme and one the things that was a little different- is that I had put the update zip on the sd card prior and it did the update on its own... WEIRD but acceptable! rooted and on 4.4.2- thanks man!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes