FORUMS

Damaged external SD card? How can I fix it?

532 posts
Thanks Meter: 12

By sLiKK, Senior Member on 12th August 2011, 04:00 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
Couple weeks ago, I bought a 8gb external sd card for my vibrant. Its been working fine except for a couple of times when it wasn’t mountable for somereason. I had to restart the phone few times to get it to work. Yesterday, I turned my phone on and realized phone wasn’t recognizing external sd card. Instead I had a message in notification bar saying “Damaged external SD card. SD card is damaged. You may have to format sd card. ” I tried numerous times to take out the external sd card from the phone and putting it back in, with the phone being both turned off and turned on. I connected the phone to computer and it wasn’t readable and was only giving an option to reformat the sd card. Used a sd card adopter to try to read the card’s contents but with the same results.
I remember once I connected the phone to my pc and disconnected it without pressing the turn off sd card storage on the phone. This might have caused the problem.

What am I doing wrong? What is wrong with the sd card? Is there anyway I can retrieve my data stored on the card. How can it be fixed?

Thakns.

12th August 2011, 04:21 AM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Flag NY

More
I was able to fix this issue with chkdsk command in dos command prompt screen from this thread . I couldn't find the answer in vibrant forum so im posting here in the hope it will help others in the future and will work as reference.

Open command prompt on your pc.
then type chkdsk followed by drive letter followed by /r - so if your card is detected as E then do: chkdsk e: /r
hit enter.
Windows will check your card and its file system along with files folders, used and unused space.
The Following User Says Thank You to sLiKK For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th August 2011, 04:31 AM |#3  
Flag Placentia, CA
Thanks Meter: 6

More
I got this issue multiple times .... I had to format the external sd multiple times but eventually it worked but the guy above seems to know what he's talking about, try what he said out and use my way as a last resort because you will lose all things stored on the sd my way
Last edited by whatever5; 12th August 2011 at 04:34 AM.
12th August 2011, 04:34 AM |#4  
Flag virginia beach
Thanks Meter: 528

More
this is prime example of why i make backups of everything
15th August 2011, 11:52 PM |#5  
Flag Placentia, CA
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachfc3s

this is prime example of why i make backups of everything

This is part of the learning process, its a tough process or we could be prepared like you
16th August 2011, 03:48 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag NY

More
Today I got the same message as before when SD card didnt work.
"Damaged external SD card. SD card is damaged. You may have to format sd card.”

I was able to fix it again using the method described above. But im wondering why does the SD card keep giving me problems. Is there anything I could do to fix it?
16th August 2011, 05:40 PM |#7  
Flag Tucson
Thanks Meter: 77

More
Micro SD card are real sensitive. If you look at them wrong they'll take a ****. Any minor static discharge on them and they will be useless. You're just gonna have to get a new one. I know it sucks but I've been through 2 of them till purchased a Samsung one that has lasted. You're just gonna have to remember to back everything up like homie vabeachfc3s says. An old man told me once "he who doesn't have at least two backups of his files is someone who doesn't care to loose them".
21st December 2011, 05:53 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 477

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sLiKK

I was able to fix this issue with chkdsk command in dos command prompt screen from this thread . I couldn't find the answer in vibrant forum so im posting here in the hope it will help others in the future and will work as reference.

Open command prompt on your pc.
then type chkdsk followed by drive letter followed by /r - so if your card is detected as E then do: chkdsk e: /r
hit enter.
Windows will check your card and its file system along with files folders, used and unused space.

This worked to recover my SD on my AT&T Skyrocket. Thank you!

I believe I encountered the problem because I was trying to transfer too much data at once from my internal SD to the external SD (my entire Titanium Backup!).
23rd May 2013, 09:01 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
This happened to me today on my Mmx A110.
Unfortunately the SD card is not mounting either by USB cable or memory card reader.
What can I do?
23rd January 2014, 06:23 AM |#10  
Flag Citalem
Thanks Meter: 1

More
clude rrnothis
Same problem as me either... buy new sd
14th August 2015, 09:11 PM |#11  
Flag hyderabad
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Damaged external sd card a110
I have tried chkdsk <diskname>: /r

I have tried chkdsk /X /F <diskname>:

I also cleaned and activated using diskpart

but nothing is working its still giving damaged external SD card. Any solution ???

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread