1. Make sure phone is completely powered down.
2. Press and hold the Volume down button and the Power button.
3. When the LG logo is displayed release the Power button only then immediately press and hold the Power button again.
4. Release both buttons when the Factory Hard Reset screen displays.
5. Press the power button three times, like it says. Even though it says it will delete everything, it won't (I can confirm that if you are at least on v188.8.131.52).
6. After a "factory reset processing" appears, you should get the TWRP flash screen, and you are good to go.
Hope this helps someone besides currently frustrated me.