XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Why won't Att let me unlock my phone

Tip us?

dcjose48
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Why won't Att let me unlock my phone

I have the att HTC one that I bought off contract at best buy around july. I've been considering unlocking the phone to test out T-Mobile. I've been requesting online from att to have the device unlock but it keeps telling me that the device currently can't be unlocked. What gives?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

mrjasenr
Old
Thanks Meter 40
Why don't you just call??

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app

59fifty1
Old
Thanks Meter 2
How long have you had service? You need to have ATT service for a minimum 6 months I believe.

dcjose48
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I have been with att since 2009. I am still under contract til Oct 2014 but that shouldn't have anything to do with it since the phone was paid in full. I thought it was six months for their gophones? At least that's what I understood from their website.

pklunavat
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Lightbulb use unlockcode247.com

hey there josť!

i hope you are well. why don't you hop on over to the good folks at http://www.unlockcode247.com/imei/1/...T-TMOBILE-HTC- ?

i have used them a few times. the unlock cost me $3.20 and about 2 hours. a few times they took longer. but it's a comin'

and then you don't have to beg for a solution, when you already paid so much for the phone.

racosta201045
Old
Thanks Meter 45
Okay well here's a quick one to bust some bubbles. I bought my HTC One via Wal-Mart on promotion in April. In June I figured to hell with At&t. With that being said I rooted the phone and got S off. Then found a mod on the Development fourm for the One that let me unlock the international menu. I bought a Net10 SIM Card at Best Buy. Cut the SIM to fit and BOOM!!!!!!!! No need for a UNlock code or any of that. Net10 gave me the apn info and from there I've been able bypass all the usual hassle.

CheesyNutz
Old
Thanks Meter 2765
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcjose48 View Post
I have been with att since 2009. I am still under contract til Oct 2014 but that shouldn't have anything to do with it since the phone was paid in full. I thought it was six months for their gophones? At least that's what I understood from their website.

Minimum 6 month before they will even consider giving you the unlock code

From my One while peeking in your window
Copy Cloud storage https://copy.com?r=cgXMEB
DropBox Cloud storage http://db.tt/UnygTbN

dcjose48
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheesyNutz View Post
Minimum 6 month before they will even consider giving you the unlock code

OK I was finally able to unlock the phone. I called Att and told them that I had purchased the phone off contract at best buy and that when I would request the unlock code via their website it wouldn't accept my request. She then tells me that if I had bought it off contract the phone should have been unlocked, which was a lie. So then she starts questioning me asking where I bought it, how much I paid etc. I then told her look I have the receipt if you don't believe me. She says well we are going to need you to fax us the receipt. While she is setting up the claim she asked why I wanted to unlock it. I told her because At&t coverage at my house sucks and I wanted to test out t-mobile since my brother gets excellent coverage on his htc one. So I faxed the receipt and next morning had the unlock code. I tried unlocking the phone only to realize that since I had converted my phone to gpe I had to reconvert back using the leaked ruu and then unlock the phone. I am happy to report that finally I was able to unlock the phone. And then I converted back to gpe. Far way better speeds and coverage on T-Mobile prepaid than on att. Well at least at my home. I'm looking testing the coverage on T-Mobile at work and school before I make my decision on fully changing carriers.

CheesyNutz
Old
Thanks Meter 2765
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcjose48 View Post
OK I was finally able to unlock the phone. I called Att and told them that I had purchased the phone off contract at best buy and that when I would request the unlock code via their website it wouldn't accept my request. She then tells me that if I had bought it off contract the phone should have been unlocked, which was a lie. So then she starts questioning me asking where I bought it, how much I paid etc. I then told her look I have the receipt if you don't believe me. She says well we are going to need you to fax us the receipt. While she is setting up the claim she asked why I wanted to unlock it. I told her because At&t coverage at my house sucks and I wanted to test out t-mobile since my brother gets excellent coverage on his htc one. So I faxed the receipt and next morning had the unlock code. I tried unlocking the phone only to realize that since I had converted my phone to gpe I had to reconvert back using the leaked ruu and then unlock the phone. I am happy to report that finally I was able to unlock the phone. And then I converted back to gpe. Far way better speeds and coverage on T-Mobile prepaid than on att. Well at least at my home. I'm looking testing the coverage on T-Mobile at work and school before I make my decision on fully changing carriers.

You got lucky most will not budge

Copy Cloud storage https://copy.com?r=cgXMEB
DropBox Cloud storage http://db.tt/UnygTbN

BlessedTalent
Old
Thanks Meter 7
I used an unlock service on line and got the unlock code. I am now using metro pcs instead of AT&T .