Ask a question

No registration required

[ROOT/BOUNTY] HP Slate 21 Pro - Android 4.3 [$250]

OP jackshiloh

7th April 2014, 08:46 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 9

20 posts
My company is looking to use the HP Slate 21 Pro as a kiosk for a web application at remote client sites. The mobile device management software we use requires the device to be rooted to enable all security features needed (remote reboot, remote wipe, etc.) A similar device has been rooted and documented on the XDA forum thread titled "[Q] looking for a way to root HP Slate 21 (research)". However, that device runs 4.2.2 and HP has posted a recovery image. The Pro version runs 4.3 and no recovery image is posted on the HP website as of today. Here are the device specifics:
  • Android Version: 4.3
  • Kernel Version: 3.4.57
  • android-build@hp.com#4
  • Tue Feb 18 15:14:20 CST 2014
  • Scalar Version: LIMH3.31
  • Build Number: JSS15J.17r20-044-23-WW

I've already unlocked the bootloader and have a Windows 7 laptop configured with the latest Android SDK and tools. Laptop also has a VirtualBox instance of Debian. I'll provide remote desktop access and assistance with reboots/etc. Project needs to be completed by April 16th, so please do not reply if you do not have the time to work on the project within that timeline. The bounty will be paid via PayPal or other mutually agreed terms. Additional work may follow this bounty (documenting process to root, building custom ROM, developing support for additional hardware peripherals). Feel free to ask any questions.
17th April 2014, 09:24 PM   |  #2  
OP Junior Member

20 posts
Bounty claimed
Thanks to XDA member theos0o for delivering a solution to root the HP Slate 21 Pro. Will post instructions and files soon.
17th April 2014, 11:10 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

20 posts
Note: The process for rooting the HP Slate 21 with Android 4.2.2 is different than the process necessary for the Slate 21 Pro with Android 4.2.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackshiloh

Thanks to XDA member theos0o for delivering a solution to root the HP Slate 21 Pro. Will post instructions and files soon.

26th April 2014, 06:37 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 0

5 posts
root
Quote:

Note: The process for rooting the HP Slate 21 with Android 4.2.2 is different than the process necessary for the Slate 21 Pro with Android 4.2.2

do you have a time frame for release of instructions?
26th April 2014, 11:21 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

20 posts
Will post tonight. PM me for the files needed
27th April 2014, 05:23 PM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member

20 posts
HP Slate 21 Pro Root Process
Instructions below....send me a PM for the files needed

1. Unlock bootloader (fastboot oem unlock) This will wipe all your data, as far as I know.
2. Flash custom recovery:
○ Boot device in bootloader mode
○ Run the following line: fastboot flash recovery ranger_cwm_recovery.img
○ Immediately after flashing is done, boot into recovery mode using the device
hardware buttons. Do not boot into android otherwise custom recovery will be
replaced by the original one.
3. When device is in CWM recovery, run:
○ adb push installsu.sh /
○ adb shell
○ In “adb shell” run:
■ mount /system
■ chmod +x installsu.sh
■ ./installsu.sh
■ sync
■ reboot
4. When device boots into Android:
○ Install SuperSU from Play Store
○ Run SuperSU
■ Update binary via “Normal” route, when asked.
■ Reboot.
5. Device should now be rooted.

NOTE: CWM recovery mode is not functional. Follow step 6 if you want a functional recovery mode, otherwise step 6 is not necessary.

6. (Optional) In case you want to revert to original HP recovery (does not affect root
functionality):
○ Enter bootloader mode
○ Run the following line: fastboot flash recovery original_recovery.img
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobleisrael1

do you have a time frame for release of instructions?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jackshiloh For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th April 2014, 07:31 PM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member

20 posts
HP Slate 21 Pro Root - Files Needed
Finally reached enough posts to include a link. Follow the link below for all the files needed. Please note this is only for the HP Slate 21 PRO running Android 4.3

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw3...it?usp=sharing
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jackshiloh For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th April 2014, 05:48 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 0

5 posts
Link
This link opens a preview html file that I cannot open. Is there something I am missing?
29th April 2014, 03:32 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 3

13 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobleisrael1

This link opens a preview html file that I cannot open. Is there something I am missing?

It opened up a Google Docs file for me. Just go to File->Download and you are good to go.

---------- Post added at 02:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 AM ----------

Quote:

Finally reached enough posts to include a link. Follow the link below for all the files needed. Please note this is only for the HP Slate 21 PRO running Android 4.3

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw3...it?usp=sharing

Thanks a lot for sharing root instructions for the Pro!

I am developing a Kiosk app as well, but I have spec'd the original Slate 21. It is giving me all sorts of USB trouble (Duplicate devices under /dev/bus/usb etc."so we may switch to the Pro. Does your Kiosk use USB devices and can you share any experiences?

It would sure be nice to have Cyanogen running on one of these two.

Thanks,
The Following User Says Thank You to janbbeck For This Useful Post: [ View ]
29th April 2014, 04:32 AM   |  #10  
OP Junior Member

20 posts
We do plan on using a secure USB card reader for credit card payments. The card reader manufacturer has an Android SDK, but we haven't dug into that part of the project yet. I've been very impressed with the Slate 21 Pro. We initially tried the ViewSonic VSD221 and were disappointed in performance. The optical touchscreen is particularly nice for kiosk use because it will work with gloves, simple stylus, etc.

We are definitely interested in getting CWM recovery running so that we can build an image and flash each device rather than having to manually configure each one. For whatever reason, the CWM recovery screen displays, but the hardware buttons on the device do not allow selection.

Quote:

Thanks a lot for sharing root instructions for the Pro!

I am developing a Kiosk app as well, but I have spec'd the original Slate 21. It is giving me all sorts of USB trouble (Duplicate devices under /dev/bus/usb etc."so we may switch to the Pro. Does your Kiosk use USB devices and can you share any experiences?

It would sure be nice to have Cyanogen running on one of these two.

Thanks,

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread