XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Notifications led not working

Tip us?

honda1979
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default Notifications led not working

After updating my htc one to 4.3, my notifications led is not working. It comes on when I plug it on charge, but doesn't work for anything else. Anyone else have this problem?

manmikey
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Same here , red only when charging, green led not working ?

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app

gtoovey
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Yep, same here, feature?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

manmikey
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Did you guys factory reset after upgrading? Its most likely that the LED will work after a factory reset, I didn't as it all worked lovely without this time and with kit Kat round the corner I will factory reset for that upgrade. Maybe some one knows what process drives the LED that we can try clearing and force closing? might help

honda1979
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by manmikey View Post
Did you guys factory reset after upgrading? Its most likely that the LED will work after a factory reset, I didn't as it all worked lovely without this time and with kit Kat round the corner I will factory reset for that upgrade. Maybe some one knows what process drives the LED that we can try clearing and force closing? might help

Yes, I actually rooted my phone, and installed 4.3 before it was even available ota, and the notification led would not work. I then went back to stock, and received the ota update, then did a factory reset, still cant get notifications to work. It seems to be affecting a minority of handsets which I find strange.

manmikey
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda1979 View Post
Yes, I actually rooted my phone, and installed 4.3 before it was even available ota, and the notification led would not work. I then went back to stock, and received the ota update, then did a factory reset, still cant get notifications to work. It seems to be affecting a minority of handsets which I find strange.

I think we may well be a minority with this problem, there's not a lot of noise on this forum the internet in general about it, it could be a combination of apps that are causing the problem, or maybe the new Do Not Disturb feature is not running properly as that shuts down the notification Led when activated.

We know a factory reset doesn't help.

Apps I have that use the notification LED other than the stock system notification are only WhatsApp and Missed Call Reminder, I am going to try uninstalling them and see if it frees the LED up, other than that I am at a loss.

nateema
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I am having the same problem after recently updating to 4.3 / 5.5 (stock Scandinavian int. unlocked version) so I will be keeping an eye on this thread and any others to see what the possible solution is.

As manmikey has said, factory reset doesn't solve it - at least a regular reset and re-install. I may reset again and set it up without importing my apps, to see if one of them is screwing it up but I don't have anything out of the ordinary which accesses the LED - only stock Messaging and Gmail. I tried LightFlow, to see if that would somehow kick it back to life and override what was causing the problem by using its testing tools, but still nothing...

So yeah, must be a combination of updates and apps which knock it out. It's not a huge issue as I still have audio notifications but it is super-handy being able to glance at my phone and see if anything has arrived. Might be fixed with 4.4, who knows...
The Following User Says Thank You to nateema For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

honda1979
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateema View Post
I am having the same problem after recently updating to 4.3 / 5.5 (stock Scandinavian int. unlocked version) so I will be keeping an eye on this thread and any others to see what the possible solution is.

As manmikey has said, factory reset doesn't solve it - at least a regular reset and re-install. I may reset again and set it up without importing my apps, to see if one of them is screwing it up but I don't have anything out of the ordinary which accesses the LED - only stock Messaging and Gmail. I tried LightFlow, to see if that would somehow kick it back to life and override what was causing the problem by using its testing tools, but still nothing...

So yeah, must be a combination of updates and apps which knock it out. It's not a huge issue as I still have audio notifications but it is super-handy being able to glance at my phone and see if anything has arrived. Might be fixed with 4.4, who knows...
Finally got to the bottom of this problem which has been bugging me for weeks. If anyone is having problems with there notification led not working, do a factory reset. During the install process after resetting, DO NOT log into your google account and let it restore your apps and settings. Lo in once pone has fully booted up and manuallyrestore apps, bit of a pain if you have loads of apps, but the light is now working normal for messages, emails etc etc as it should
The Following User Says Thank You to honda1979 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

nateema
Old
(Last edited by nateema; 10th November 2013 at 05:51 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Finally got to the bottom of this problem which has been bugging me for weeks. If anyone is having problems with there notification led not working, do a factory reset. During the install process after resetting, DO NOT log into your google account and let it restore your apps and settings. Lo in once pone has fully booted up and manuallyrestore apps, bit of a pain if you have loads of apps, but the light is now working normal for messages, emails etc etc as it should
YES! Thank you so much for this! I did the reset, without restoring using my Google account and then logged in after the set up had finished. Sent a test email from another account and *BAM* the green LED flashes away. Such a nice feeling to have it back - it feels like my phone is now complete. Strange how such a small thing can make a difference to the overall user experience.

Having to reinstall and set up my apps from scratch is a small price to pay for having everything work properly.

Thanks again

manmikey
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Quote:
No easy solution but a more info for those with this problem...

Seeing on this forum that restoring using Google back up did not cure the problem I thought I would try using HTC back up. I did a factory reset and then a restore from my HTC back up to try and get the notification lamp working. Unfortunately the Led still does not work after this so it looks like Honda1979s method is the only way

As a footnote I have now returned my HTC One (to Carphone Warehouse) for warranty repairs as the device has microphone/noise cancelling issues (another seemingly common problem of the HTC one) So I reported the LED not notifying as well, so lets see what comes back in 6 days..... I have a horrible feeling that HTC will shirk the repair and quote "moisture damage" even tho it has never been wet. watch this space