NOTE This kernel version doesn't support "All-F2FS"
This is a Kernel for Android 4.4. I made this for SlimKat so i don't know if this will work with other roms.
Some users reported working also on:
- Cyanogenmod (Reported by: buggatti)
- Carbon (Reported by: Nosterius)
- OmniROM (Reported by: SkOrPn)
What is F2FS?
F2FS (Flash-Friendly File System) is a flash file system created by Kim Jaegeuk at Samsung for the Linux operating system kernel. The motive for F2FS was to build a file system that from the start takes into account the characteristics of NAND flash memory-based storage devices (such as solid-state disks, eMMC, and SD cards), which are widely used in computer systems ranging from mobile devices to servers.
The idea was of ss2man44. F2FS helps Nexus 7 2012 where he needs: IO Speed and slowdown after long period (months?) of use. This Filesystem is used in others phone too like Moto X where he shows good performance.
I tested this myself for some weeks without problems and i'm happy.
I started from the stock Slim kernel.
There are also others features by me:
- Ported sl[aou]b from Linux 3.4
- Ported timer and workqueue from Linux 3.4
- Ported random from Linux 3.13-rc4
- Ported rwsem from Linux 3.11
- Kernel NEON Mode
- Added GPU OC (Franco way..)
- Added Toggle for FSYNC
- Revert CPU OC things (We don't need it and it was a bit dirty..)
I already said that i did this for SlimKat so my advice is to start this procedure with a working SlimKat rom or another rom that is reported to work good. (See the start of this post)
F2FS is a Filesystem so we have to Format our memory in this mode. How can we do this? We need a "special" TWRP and LegoKernel
- Download LegoKernel LegoKernel-F2FS-140228
- Download "special" TWRP recovery-F2FS-A.img
- Copy LegoKernel on Tablet
- Flash LegoKernel with your current Recovery
- Flash "special" TWRP with Fastboot
I said "FORMAT" so it's obvious that you will lose all your data (even Movies..Music..all!). Backup them on PC to restore easily at the end.
- Reboot in Recovery (To know that you are on "special" TWRP note that the BackKey is Red at the bottom-right)
- Go to Wipe menu
- Format Data (Not the simple Wipe!)
Enjoy. (Now you may want to restore your backup)
Report back how do you feel your tablet now. I have a very positive opinion about this thing!!
- 28/02/13: Add Kexec Support
Some thing you have to know:
- After the switch to F2FS you can use only kernel with F2FS Support
- Backup made with standard TWRP may not work with "special" TWRP and reverse.
How come back?
- Flash a standard TWRP
- Format Data
- Flash your previous ROM/Kernel