Lightbulb

[Q] Plz Help 4.3 down to 4.1.2. rooted tried a few

26th December 2013, 01:54 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

13 posts
So I'm by no means super knowledgable with this stuff but I've rooted a few phones, played around with CM on my old evo but for the most part I enjoy rooted stock.

I have Galaxy S3 Sprint 4.3 updated OTA from a rooted (4.1.2). When I took the OTA I lost root, no big deal I used Odin and flashed the CF auto root, it said it removed knox and I had root back. Cool!

In short 4.3 sucked, wanted to downgrade back so things like TrevE mod would work again and it wouldn't be so buggy. I tried to use odin to flash "KIES_HOME_L710VPBMD4_L710SPRBMD4_1130792_REV03_us er_low_ship.tar.md5" but it gave me the "Use Kies Recovery and error occured" message.

So I then used odin and flashed TWRP and my phone booted.

I'm back on 4.3 rooted.

I've tried picking through the forums and interwebz for answers but I get mixed messages and info on international versions and what not.

I'm tired of trying to figure it out and really could use some help downgrading back to 4.1.2

Thanks,
Brandon
26th December 2013, 02:09 PM   |  #2  
Flag Burlington, VT
Thanks Meter: 9

81 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mentorkyrom

So I'm by no means super knowledgable with this stuff but I've rooted a few phones, played around with CM on my old evo but for the most part I enjoy rooted stock.

I have Galaxy S3 Sprint 4.3 updated OTA from a rooted (4.1.2). When I took the OTA I lost root, no big deal I used Odin and flashed the CF auto root, it said it removed knox and I had root back. Cool!

In short 4.3 sucked, wanted to downgrade back so things like TrevE mod would work again and it wouldn't be so buggy. I tried to use odin to flash "KIES_HOME_L710VPBMD4_L710SPRBMD4_1130792_REV03_us er_low_ship.tar.md5" but it gave me the "Use Kies Recovery and error occured" message.

I'm back on 4.3 rooted.

I've tried picking through the forums and interwebz for answers but I get mixed messages and info on international versions and what not.

I'm tired of trying to figure it out and really could use some help downgrading back to 4.1.2

Thanks,
Brandon

The 4.3 OTA installed a locked bootloader, which will prevent you from ODIN'ing back to a previous version. you can flash any ROM you would like from recovery, you CANNOT downgrade the bootloader. As of right now, if you have knox, you are stuck with it.

You are extremely lucky that you didn't brick your phone by using odin to flash a non-4.3 tar. I wouldnt try again.

My advice is, remain rooted with a custom recovery, and find a ROM to your liking, and flash that.

I have also heard that we cannot flash custom kernels on the knox (MK3) bootloader as well, but I havent verified that.
26th December 2013, 02:24 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

13 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eletendre84

The 4.3 OTA installed a locked bootloader, which will prevent you from ODIN'ing back to a previous version. you can flash any ROM you would like from recovery, you CANNOT downgrade the bootloader. As of right now, if you have knox, you are stuck with it.

You are extremely lucky that you didn't brick your phone by using odin to flash a non-4.3 tar. I wouldnt try again.

My advice is, remain rooted with a custom recovery, and find a ROM to your liking, and flash that.

I have also heard that we cannot flash custom kernels on the knox (MK3) bootloader as well, but I havent verified that.

Thank you for the response. Is CyanogenMod an option then? If I go to CM could I flash back a stock 4.3 rom in the future?

As an added bonus question does CM allow wifi tethering?

Again thank you for the response.
26th December 2013, 05:45 PM   |  #4  
Flag Burlington, VT
Thanks Meter: 9

81 posts
More
Quote:

Thank you for the response. Is CyanogenMod an option then? If I go to CM could I flash back a stock 4.3 rom in the future?

As an added bonus question does CM allow wifi tethering?

Again thank you for the response.

CM is certainly an option. In fact, its what i am running now. CM11 12-24. Runs great. You can always odin the stock mk3 tar and go back to stock unrooted, at any time.

in order to flash cm11 you MUST be on TWRP 2.6.3.1 or CWM 6.0.4.5 or newer or the assert check will fail.

not sure on the tethering, but im pretty sure it definitely works on cm10.2 and i think it does on 11 as well, but dont quote me on that.
27th December 2013, 02:31 AM   |  #5  
Flag Longmont, Colorado
Thanks Meter: 294

395 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by eletendre84

CM is certainly an option. In fact, its what i am running now. CM11 12-24. Runs great. You can always odin the stock mk3 tar and go back to stock unrooted, at any time.

in order to flash cm11 you MUST be on TWRP 2.6.3.1 or CWM 6.0.4.5 or newer or the assert check will fail.

not sure on the tethering, but im pretty sure it definitely works on cm10.2 and i think it does on 11 as well, but dont quote me on that.

Tethering is available on CM11 just like it was on 10.2; would strongly recommend latest Philz Touch Recovery over either TWRP or CWM though. Although it is based on CWM, it has proven to be pretty much the superior recovery option for flashing any Android build number, plus it is highly customizable.

Philz Touch Recovery
28th February 2014, 01:40 AM   |  #6  

2 posts
Talking this is how to downgrade
Quote:

I'm back on 4.3 rooted.

Thanks,
Brandon

do a factory data reset then use odin auto root from computer ok...... after boot u will get a security message supersu will be unfortunately stopping this is ok..... then u will need to download the supersu.app to root of sd then manually install this will update it and now u can turn off knox and have root... then go to market and download odin mobile then flash your .tar file u want and you will be good to go 4.1.2 doesn't have knox and has a unlocked bootloader so have fun bro this method may work for other phones
28th February 2014, 03:26 AM   |  #7  
Flag Longmont, Colorado
Thanks Meter: 294

395 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuther22

do a factory data reset then use odin auto root from computer ok...... after boot u will get a security message supersu will be unfortunately stopping this is ok..... then u will need to download the supersu.app to root of sd then manually install this will update it and now u can turn off knox and have root... then go to market and download odin mobile then flash your .tar file u want and you will be good to go 4.1.2 doesn't have knox and has a unlocked bootloader so have fun bro this method may work for other phones

Do you realize that this thread hasn't been used in a couple of months? I would assume the author has no more need of advice based on the inactivity. Also, once Knox is installed, it is on the phone to stay. PERIOD. NO DOWNGRADING POSSIBLE VIA ODIN. Custom ROMs of any build are fine via custom recovery, but any attempt to change the bootloader will trigger Knox and brick the phone. Dangerous info to be posting here, especially since someone else who doesn't know better might try this.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread