Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,556 Members 42,246 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Boot Loop 'process system is not responding'

Tip us?

jenuhferr
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Exclamation [Q] Boot Loop 'process system is not responding'

Hi,

Installed CM7 over the weekend (thank you Albert) and it's been working well except for the occasional error messages / force closes from a couple of apps.

This morning it wouldn't wake up which I dealt with when it was stock. Held the power button, didn't work. Unplugged it and did it again and it worked. This is why I try to never power this tablet off. Always a problem when I do.

Now I'm getting airpush notification that just hangs there holding everything prisoner it seems. I don't know when the boot loop started but I did all of the recommended ad remove apps (of course doing one thing per boot really quick) Did them all. Still saw the notification and then the boot loop started.

Now see "Sorry! Process system is not responding." Force close or wait. Either one results in a boot loop about a minute later I guess?

What is left to do here? Something with CWM? I'm a noob please forgive me!

Tried:
uninstalling suspect new apps
AdAway
Addon
Permissions free
Banging my fists on table repeatedly

Thanks!

Know-Fear
Old
Thanks Meter 107
Boot into CWM and go to advanced and then show log. see if you have any errors. I would personally do a partition wipe. If this works, from a running system, go to rom manager and do a fix permissions.
If I have helped you or if you like my work, Donations are always appreciated!

Galaxy Nexus (GSM) - EuroSkank Nightly Build with Trinity Kernel
Nexus One - Retired and sold
G1 - Retired and collecting dust in its box

Nook Tablet Rooted
TWPR Recovery
Cyanoboot
CM9 Internal/CM7 SD
The Following User Says Thank You to Know-Fear For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jenuhferr
Old
(Last edited by jenuhferr; 8th March 2012 at 01:49 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
The log says 'failed to open /sys/class/android_USB/android0/state: no such file or directory' twelve times. Methinks that can't be good...

I've rebooted a couple of times now and no sign of boot loop although I'm still getting that process system error. Choosing 'wait' seems to be the right answer since I'm able to write this right now.

ALSO I seem to have taken care of airpush. Found out it was the Pinterest app which I deleted. Viola!

Would I be doing a CACHE partition wipe you mean? What will I lose by doing this?

Thanks!!!

Sent from my Nook Tablet using XDA

Know-Fear
Old
Thanks Meter 107
Yes, from CWM, 4th option down. 'wipe cache partition'

You will lose only things that are stored in the cache. Similar to clearing cookies on a PC. Android will create a new cache upon next boot (which will take a little longer than normal)
If I have helped you or if you like my work, Donations are always appreciated!

Galaxy Nexus (GSM) - EuroSkank Nightly Build with Trinity Kernel
Nexus One - Retired and sold
G1 - Retired and collecting dust in its box

Nook Tablet Rooted
TWPR Recovery
Cyanoboot
CM9 Internal/CM7 SD
The Following User Says Thank You to Know-Fear For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jenuhferr
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Wiped and fixed permissions. Powered on this morning and now still have process sys error and also database read/write error for evernote (sd card issues but this alert is new) and rebooting its own. Not sure if it's a boot loop but maybe force rebooting?

Thanks for any other advice?

PS Could this be a virus?

lavero.burgos
Old
(Last edited by lavero.burgos; 8th March 2012 at 09:52 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1,308

DONATE TO ME
Might be your sdcard. Backup everything and format it with SDFormatter then copy your files back,if you keep receiving errors about sdcard you could have a faulty sdcard.

You could also backup your data with titanium backup, boot into CWM make a backup of current ROM and make a fresh install of a new ROM, there are stock, CM7 and MIUI as CWM flashable zips for easy install in CWM pick the one you need, flash it and restore your apps with titanium backup (preferably only app not app+data as you're getting databases errors).
Make a backup of your new ROM in CWM once you finish setting it up as you want for precaution. Remove your old backup.

NOTE: If you install CM7 again make sure you have latest build (Internal: Alpha12 | sdcard: Final). Also verify the md5 of the download so you know its not corrupted.

~ Veronica

Sent from my Nook Tablet using xda premium
2014 I am no longer active at XDA nor have an Android Smartphone or Tablet |

If i helped you please hit
button -
Your files everywhere! Get dropbox 2GB+250mb free: http://db.tt/9DHo4Gi

VIDEO TUTORIALS
My XDA FTP Folder ~ GDrive Folder ~ My XDA Threads
The Following User Says Thank You to lavero.burgos For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jenuhferr
Old
(Last edited by jenuhferr; 8th March 2012 at 10:11 PM.) Reason: update
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Ok TB wouldn't let me make a backup saying that I didn't have enough memory (32gb sdcard almost empty uhh). So, I manually copied the backup folder to my laptop.

I did a full format on the card using sdformatter, I downloaded the sd image, verified the checksum (good) and used software to put the image on the sd card. I put it in the nook and booted it up. Everything looks the same as before when I was expecting a completely empty reinstall I guess? Did it work? So far things seem fine... It's recognizing the sd card and I see the boot image on there, etc.

I lost some apps that I guess rely on the sd card. Can I take the file from my laptop backup and just manually stick it into the TB folder?

Thanks!

-------------------

Formatted sd card again. Laptop now showed 32gb free. Put image (Team-B-CM7SD-Alpha_final.img) and now it says image is using ~4mb and the free space is 186mb!

I used win 32 disk imager. Going to try a different one?

jenuhferr
Old
(Last edited by jenuhferr; 8th March 2012 at 08:35 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Spoke too soon. TB still won't let me backup due to insufficient storage space. Now it says that my SD card is 200mb and I only have 1mb free??? I took SD card out and put back in, no change, reboots no change. Evernote is complaining too. WTF How can a card just go bad??

Laptop is saying the same. Considering reformatting and trying again?

lavero.burgos
Old
Thanks Meter 1,308

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenuhferr View Post
Spoke too soon. TB still won't let me backup due to insufficient storage space. Now it says that my SD card is 200mb and I only have 1mb free??? I took SD card out and put back in, no change, reboots no change. Evernote is complaining too. WTF How can a card just go bad??

Laptop is saying the same. Considering reformatting and trying again?

You mentioned that you flashed CM7 sd image right? so you have to resize the last partition to the end of your sdcard. Last partiton is the one that will act as "sdcard".

~ Veronica
2014 I am no longer active at XDA nor have an Android Smartphone or Tablet |

If i helped you please hit
button -
Your files everywhere! Get dropbox 2GB+250mb free: http://db.tt/9DHo4Gi

VIDEO TUTORIALS
My XDA FTP Folder ~ GDrive Folder ~ My XDA Threads

jenuhferr
Old
(Last edited by jenuhferr; 9th March 2012 at 05:27 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Using easus partition master, resized the last partition to use unallocated space and nook said 200mb SD card anyway. I don't get it.

----------

Used different software and partition resized. This time set up started which I didn't see before. All seemed fine, started adding some apps from the market since I have no backup.

Suddenly it rebooted and bypassed/ignored the SD card and booted into the previous set up. I powered off, removed/replaced SD card then booted but same thing. I started to post HERE and it rebooted with the SD card! Then it rebooted into the previous set up without the card.

Was.thinking of doing the internal install. Does this indicate a bad SD card or problem with nook seeing it? Considering a surface scan in windows?

Tags
ads, airpush, boot loop, cm7