Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Question [Q] Dropbox after formatting hard drive

OP Remcotjuuh

4th May 2013, 10:38 PM   |  #1  
Remcotjuuh's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Nijverdal, the Netherlands
Thanks Meter: 60
 
397 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2012
Donate to Me
More
Hey guys,

Since Dropbox basically is a folder on my hard drive, I was wondering what would happen if I would format my hard drive and thus delete the Dropbox folder. Will everything remain intact, be deleted or downloaded again later on?

Thanks in advance.
4th May 2013, 10:54 PM   |  #2  
feysofit's Avatar
Member
Flag Bucharest
Thanks Meter: 9
 
37 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2013
Donate to Me
More
It's up to the dropbox app. The app it is monitoring changes to the folder, only copy paste rename delete but formating the drive will result in sync error.
4th May 2013, 11:20 PM   |  #3  
Remcotjuuh's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Nijverdal, the Netherlands
Thanks Meter: 60
 
397 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2012
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by feysofit

It's up to the dropbox app. The app it is monitoring changes to the folder, only copy paste rename delete but formating the drive will result in sync error.

But does that mean that the files will stay in the folder and that new files won't sync properly?
4th May 2013, 11:43 PM   |  #4  
SimonTS's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Bristol
Thanks Meter: 1,559
 
4,020 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remcotjuuh

But does that mean that the files will stay in the folder and that new files won't sync properly?

No, no, no.

If you simply format the hard drive then it will be as if you apply your DropBox account to a new PC. Once you install it, it will sync perfectly and pull all your files down to the newly-formatted hard-drive absolutely fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to SimonTS For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th May 2013, 01:43 AM   |  #5  
Remcotjuuh's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Nijverdal, the Netherlands
Thanks Meter: 60
 
397 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2012
Donate to Me
More
That sounds better, thank you. And if you format the hard drive and not yet apply your account to a newly formatted one, will the files be already accessible in the browser?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app
Last edited by Remcotjuuh; 5th May 2013 at 01:45 AM.
5th May 2013, 03:51 AM   |  #6  
feysofit's Avatar
Member
Flag Bucharest
Thanks Meter: 9
 
37 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2013
Donate to Me
More
Same thing different perspective
And yes your file are accessible online in the browser or on any other device.

Regards
The Following User Says Thank You to feysofit For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th May 2013, 03:43 PM   |  #7  
mahoni444's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag saint sebastien sur loire
Thanks Meter: 20
 
213 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remcotjuuh

Hey guys,

Since Dropbox basically is a folder on my hard drive, I was wondering what would happen if I would format my hard drive and thus delete the Dropbox folder. Will everything remain intact, be deleted or downloaded again later on?

Thanks in advance.

Dropbox is a cloud you can format your pc you will always find what's in with your username dropox
28th February 2014, 06:58 AM   |  #8  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
1 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2014
Format my mac and what happen with my dropbox folder
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahoni444

Dropbox is a cloud you can format your pc you will always find what's in with your username dropox

Hello People,

I'm agree Dropbox is a cloud. Right now I want to format my Mac and I have more than 60 GB in my dropbox folder. If I format my mac (I will lost all the information), should I have to wait (a long time) the sync between my computer and my dropbox before using the files OR can I copy and paste my files in the Dropbox folders (the files just before the format) and "nothing happened"?

Thank you so much for your help guys .
28th February 2014, 09:27 AM   |  #9  
SimonTS's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Bristol
Thanks Meter: 1,559
 
4,020 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdraft2014

Hello People,

I'm agree Dropbox is a cloud. Right now I want to format my Mac and I have more than 60 GB in my dropbox folder. If I format my mac (I will lost all the information), should I have to wait (a long time) the sync between my computer and my dropbox before using the files OR can I copy and paste my files in the Dropbox folders (the files just before the format) and "nothing happened"?

Thank you so much for your help guys .

You 'should' be able to copy the files and restore them, but if anything else changes on DropBox in the meantime you may end up with some duplicated files to weed out manually.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
dropbox, format, hard drive
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes