Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,867 Members 41,547 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Duplicate storage?

Tip us?

Ckamc
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default Duplicate storage?

So I am cleaning up my phone when I notice I have these two folders that are identical.

Main question is, which one is safe to delete without making my phone go crazy?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-02-28-13-26-46.png
Views:	508
Size:	201.0 KB
ID:	2606334  

alone-together
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckamc View Post
So I am cleaning up my phone when I notice I have these two folders that are identical.

Main question is, which one is safe to delete without making my phone go crazy?
Definitely not. Leave it alone; everyone has those folders and I assure you they do not exist twice.

Ckamc
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
What makes me scratch my head is that both folders are the exact same size with the same content so I just don't understand why my phone needs double since it shows my storage at 17GB and want to free up some more space

tdevaughn
Old
Thanks Meter 465
One is a link to the other. They are not duplicated, they are one and the same files

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

alone-together
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
What makes me scratch my head is that both folders are the exact same size with the same content so I just don't understand why my phone needs double since it shows my storage at 17GB and want to free up some more space
Alright, think about it this way. Open your file explorer and check the size of either of the folders by looking at their properties. For instance, mine both show that they add up to 10GB. I've also got about 3-4GB of space being used for backups and my system partition, and even more for apps. So my guess? Probably using at least 20GB of my storage. Keep in mind that I have a 32GB phone. Now if I go to settings > storage, it shows that I have 12GB of free space, so it all adds up. If you do the math, I couldn't possibly be using 20GB total for both of those folders, so they have to just be different paths to the same location, and yours probably is, too.

My conclusion: if you delete one of those folders, nothing good can come of it. Look elsewhere and account for your system itself (I see you are using the stock firmware, which is quite large due to LG bloatware) and the apps you use. Check Settings > Storage and see what's using so much space.

Ckamc
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Thanks for confirming everyone. I guess I need to browse my phone system with my PC to find where the real bloat is at. Yes the LG apps do take up a bit of space.

alone-together
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Thanks for confirming everyone. I guess I need to browse my phone system with my PC to find where the real bloat is at. Yes the LG apps do take up a bit of space.
You might consider finding an AOSP ROM that fits your needs if you're looking for a bit more space. They tend to be a lot smaller than stock roms. Also, try clearing your cache.

Ckamc
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by alone-together View Post
You might consider finding an AOSP ROM that fits your needs if you're looking for a bit more space. They tend to be a lot smaller than stock roms. Also, try clearing your cache.
Cant live without Knock on or even the remote app since I stopped buying batteries for my remotes

alone-together
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Cant live without Knock on or even the remote app since I stopped buying batteries for my remotes
Knock on and the remote app have been ported and work very well. Check out Mahdi ROM, it works great on my G2. You can find the ported remote app in the Themes and Apps forum. Good luck!

Sent from my g2 using Tapatalk

The Following User Says Thank You to alone-together For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]