Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] Just got stock Note 2 and I WANNA ROOT Without Changing to 4.3 Bootloader

OP edo101

28th February 2014, 05:19 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
178 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2013
Hey guys, I just joined the club. I have a stock, never been rooted Note 2 and I want all that 4.3 or 4.4 goodness with Air Command

I've read a little bit and it seems that I should never upgrade this OTA because if I did, It would install a new bootloader with KNOX.

Since I still have the 4.1.2 bootloader, any chance I can root without installing 4.3 bootloader so that I can go back to 4.1.2 stock when I want to sell the Note 2 when Note 4 comes in.

Can you guys recommend a 4.3 or 4.4 ROM that won't change my bootloader and will also give me the AirCommand function and apps (I really want Quickmemo). Oh and any ROMs that extend battery life and streamline BloatWiz is very welcome.

my battery is draining more than I like with Bloatwiz

Thanks in advance
Last edited by edo101; 1st March 2014 at 12:14 AM.
1st March 2014, 02:11 AM   |  #2  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
178 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by edo101

Hey guys, I just joined the club. I have a stock, never been rooted Note 2 and I want all that 4.3 or 4.4 goodness with Air Command

I've read a little bit and it seems that I should never upgrade this OTA because if I did, It would install a new bootloader with KNOX.

Since I still have the 4.1.2 bootloader, any chance I can root without installing 4.3 bootloader so that I can go back to 4.1.2 stock when I want to sell the Note 2 when Note 4 comes in.

Can you guys recommend a 4.3 or 4.4 ROM that won't change my bootloader and will also give me the AirCommand function and apps (I really want Quickmemo). Oh and any ROMs that extend battery life and streamline BloatWiz is very welcome.

my battery is draining more than I like with Bloatwiz

Thanks in advance

bump
1st March 2014, 02:42 AM   |  #3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 235
 
478 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by edo101

bump

Few options.
1) Flash Mrrobinsons stock 4,3 using mobile odin pro and then flash the wifi patch or devil kernel.
2) If you do not have mobile odin pro you can flash the stock Rooted odin image which is packed with 4.1.2 bootloader from here.
3) You can basically flash any 4,4 ROM just make sure it does not come with bootloader (Most custom roms dont include), make sure to read the compatibility notes.
1st March 2014, 02:49 AM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
178 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciphercodes

Few options.
1) Flash Mrrobinsons stock 4,3 using mobile odin pro and then flash the wifi patch or devil kernel.
2) If you do not have mobile odin pro you can flash the stock Rooted odin image which is packed with 4.1.2 bootloader from here.
3) You can basically flash any 4,4 ROM just make sure it does not come with bootloader (Most custom roms dont include), make sure to read the compatibility notes.

Do any of those come with Air Command? Do they streamline Bloatwiz? and since I will flash with the 4.1.2 bootloader intact, does that mean I can go back to 4.1.2 stock when I'm about to sell my Note 2?
1st March 2014, 03:22 AM   |  #5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 235
 
478 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by edo101

Do any of those come with Air Command? Do they streamline Bloatwiz? and since I will flash with the 4.1.2 bootloader intact, does that mean I can go back to 4.1.2 stock when I'm about to sell my Note 2?

They are stock 4.3 images and they do not come with Air command, you may try DN3 ROM but again read the OP to ensure compatibility with 4.2.1 bootloader. Yes, you can go back to 4.1.2.
Last edited by ciphercodes; 1st March 2014 at 03:45 AM.
1st March 2014, 04:39 AM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
178 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciphercodes

They are stock 4.3 images and they do not come with Air command, you may try DN3 ROM but again read the OP to ensure compatibility with 4.2.1 bootloader. Yes, you can go back to 4.1.2.

Are there more aggressive battery saving ROMs that wont compromise my 4.1.2 bootlader
1st March 2014, 06:32 AM   |  #7  
Coug76's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag East of Seattle
Thanks Meter: 803
 
2,049 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by edo101

Are there more aggressive battery saving ROMs that wont compromise my 4.1.2 bootlader

From my understanding only Kies, OTA, or Odin/Heimdall (PC version) will touch the bootloader. Flashing in recovery shouldn't mess with it.

4.3 roms on the 4.1.2 bootloader need either a custom kernel such as Devil Kernel or the bootloader patch flashed via PC Odin or Heimdall to allow wifi to work. The patch can be overwritten by odin flashing 4.1.2 roms etc. Once 4.3 had been kies, OTA, or Odined the 4.3 bootloader is set.

Hastily spouted for your befuddlement
Last edited by Coug76; 1st March 2014 at 06:35 AM.
1st March 2014, 05:07 PM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
178 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coug76

From my understanding only Kies, OTA, or Odin/Heimdall (PC version) will touch the bootloader. Flashing in recovery shouldn't mess with it.

4.3 roms on the 4.1.2 bootloader need either a custom kernel such as Devil Kernel or the bootloader patch flashed via PC Odin or Heimdall to allow wifi to work. The patch can be overwritten by odin flashing 4.1.2 roms etc. Once 4.3 had been kies, OTA, or Odined the 4.3 bootloader is set.

Hastily spouted for your befuddlement

Yeah I'm pretty confused lol. Can someone make sense of this for me. Are all 4.3 ROMs gonna knock out my wifi and require me to reinstall a patch?

Any recommendations on 4.3 or 4.4 patches that can elongate battery life without killing my 4.1.2 bootloader. I NEED to be able to sell this phone like I never rooted it
1st March 2014, 09:10 PM   |  #9  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 454
 
557 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by edo101

I NEED to be able to sell this phone like I never rooted it

Then put a factory image on it and be done.
1st March 2014, 09:15 PM   |  #10  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
178 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by kozmo21

Then put a factory image on it and be done.

No I mean after I've rooted it. I figure whoever I might sell it would know how to access the bootloader and see that its got KNOX and has already gotten the counter

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes