Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,492 Members 39,554 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Just got stock Note 2 and I WANNA ROOT Without Changing to 4.3 Bootloader

Tip us?

edo101
Old
(Last edited by edo101; 28th February 2014 at 11:14 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default [Q] Just got stock Note 2 and I WANNA ROOT Without Changing to 4.3 Bootloader

Hey guys, I just joined the club. I have a stock, never been rooted Note 2 and I want all that 4.3 or 4.4 goodness with Air Command

I've read a little bit and it seems that I should never upgrade this OTA because if I did, It would install a new bootloader with KNOX.

Since I still have the 4.1.2 bootloader, any chance I can root without installing 4.3 bootloader so that I can go back to 4.1.2 stock when I want to sell the Note 2 when Note 4 comes in.

Can you guys recommend a 4.3 or 4.4 ROM that won't change my bootloader and will also give me the AirCommand function and apps (I really want Quickmemo). Oh and any ROMs that extend battery life and streamline BloatWiz is very welcome.

my battery is draining more than I like with Bloatwiz

Thanks in advance

edo101
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by edo101 View Post
Hey guys, I just joined the club. I have a stock, never been rooted Note 2 and I want all that 4.3 or 4.4 goodness with Air Command

I've read a little bit and it seems that I should never upgrade this OTA because if I did, It would install a new bootloader with KNOX.

Since I still have the 4.1.2 bootloader, any chance I can root without installing 4.3 bootloader so that I can go back to 4.1.2 stock when I want to sell the Note 2 when Note 4 comes in.

Can you guys recommend a 4.3 or 4.4 ROM that won't change my bootloader and will also give me the AirCommand function and apps (I really want Quickmemo). Oh and any ROMs that extend battery life and streamline BloatWiz is very welcome.

my battery is draining more than I like with Bloatwiz

Thanks in advance
bump

ciphercodes
Old
Thanks Meter 231
Quote:
bump
Few options.
1) Flash Mrrobinsons stock 4,3 using mobile odin pro and then flash the wifi patch or devil kernel.
2) If you do not have mobile odin pro you can flash the stock Rooted odin image which is packed with 4.1.2 bootloader from here.
3) You can basically flash any 4,4 ROM just make sure it does not come with bootloader (Most custom roms dont include), make sure to read the compatibility notes.

edo101
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciphercodes View Post
Few options.
1) Flash Mrrobinsons stock 4,3 using mobile odin pro and then flash the wifi patch or devil kernel.
2) If you do not have mobile odin pro you can flash the stock Rooted odin image which is packed with 4.1.2 bootloader from here.
3) You can basically flash any 4,4 ROM just make sure it does not come with bootloader (Most custom roms dont include), make sure to read the compatibility notes.
Do any of those come with Air Command? Do they streamline Bloatwiz? and since I will flash with the 4.1.2 bootloader intact, does that mean I can go back to 4.1.2 stock when I'm about to sell my Note 2?

ciphercodes
Old
(Last edited by ciphercodes; 1st March 2014 at 02:45 AM.)
Thanks Meter 231
Quote:
Do any of those come with Air Command? Do they streamline Bloatwiz? and since I will flash with the 4.1.2 bootloader intact, does that mean I can go back to 4.1.2 stock when I'm about to sell my Note 2?
They are stock 4.3 images and they do not come with Air command, you may try DN3 ROM but again read the OP to ensure compatibility with 4.2.1 bootloader. Yes, you can go back to 4.1.2.

edo101
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciphercodes View Post
They are stock 4.3 images and they do not come with Air command, you may try DN3 ROM but again read the OP to ensure compatibility with 4.2.1 bootloader. Yes, you can go back to 4.1.2.
Are there more aggressive battery saving ROMs that wont compromise my 4.1.2 bootlader

Coug76
Old
(Last edited by Coug76; 1st March 2014 at 05:35 AM.)
Thanks Meter 597
Quote:
Are there more aggressive battery saving ROMs that wont compromise my 4.1.2 bootlader
From my understanding only Kies, OTA, or Odin/Heimdall (PC version) will touch the bootloader. Flashing in recovery shouldn't mess with it.

4.3 roms on the 4.1.2 bootloader need either a custom kernel such as Devil Kernel or the bootloader patch flashed via PC Odin or Heimdall to allow wifi to work. The patch can be overwritten by odin flashing 4.1.2 roms etc. Once 4.3 had been kies, OTA, or Odined the 4.3 bootloader is set.

Hastily spouted for your befuddlement

edo101
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coug76 View Post
From my understanding only Kies, OTA, or Odin/Heimdall (PC version) will touch the bootloader. Flashing in recovery shouldn't mess with it.

4.3 roms on the 4.1.2 bootloader need either a custom kernel such as Devil Kernel or the bootloader patch flashed via PC Odin or Heimdall to allow wifi to work. The patch can be overwritten by odin flashing 4.1.2 roms etc. Once 4.3 had been kies, OTA, or Odined the 4.3 bootloader is set.

Hastily spouted for your befuddlement
Yeah I'm pretty confused lol. Can someone make sense of this for me. Are all 4.3 ROMs gonna knock out my wifi and require me to reinstall a patch?

Any recommendations on 4.3 or 4.4 patches that can elongate battery life without killing my 4.1.2 bootloader. I NEED to be able to sell this phone like I never rooted it

kozmo21
Old
Thanks Meter 405
Quote:
I NEED to be able to sell this phone like I never rooted it
Then put a factory image on it and be done.

edo101
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kozmo21 View Post
Then put a factory image on it and be done.
No I mean after I've rooted it. I figure whoever I might sell it would know how to access the bootloader and see that its got KNOX and has already gotten the counter