Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,619 Members 46,331 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Galaxy Gear work on older generation phone running kitkat?

Tip us?

Dentsu
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Arrow Galaxy Gear work on older generation phone running kitkat?

I have been going through this forum trying to get my samsung galaxy S2 running 4.4.2 (CM11) to work with my galaxy gear. Tried installing gearmanager/stub but it loop at connecting to gear even though it is already paired. Can't get pass this. Anyone got this working with older generation phone want to shed some light? Don't know if you need to get your GG rooted first as it doesn't seem like you need to install any specific app on it. Is it possible to get older galaxy phone to work?

Dentsu
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Well I guess this is a long way to get a no as a answer..

Moody
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 446

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dentsu View Post
I have been going through this forum trying to get my samsung galaxy S2 running 4.4.2 (CM11) to work with my galaxy gear. Tried installing gearmanager/stub but it loop at connecting to gear even though it is already paired. Can't get pass this. Anyone got this working with older generation phone want to shed some light? Don't know if you need to get your GG rooted first as it doesn't seem like you need to install any specific app on it. Is it possible to get older galaxy phone to work?
You can't do it the Samsung way, you would need an official 4.3+ android build from samsung for that. You can, however, try it using a little project I'm working on (porting Kitkat & Google Wear to the Gear) when it's finished, so don't abandon all hope just yet .
LG Nexus 5 Red (D281) 16GB
ROM: Paranoid Android 4.2 | Recovery: PhilZ | Kernel: Franco

Retired Devices:
Apple► iPad 3 | iPad Mini | iPhone 3GS | iPhone 4s | iPhone 5 | iPhone 5S
HTC ► Desire Z | HD2 | Sensation
LGE ► Optimus 2x Speed | Nexus 4
Moto ► Milestone 2
RIM ► Curve 9300 | Bold 9700 | Torch 9800 | London Z10
Sam ► Galaxy Nexus | Galaxy S2 | Galaxy TXT | Galaxy Note 3 | Galaxy Gear
Sony► w200i | w910i | Xperia Mini Pro | Xperia U | Xperia Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialNoob
"I can't wipe it clean.
I put it in the dishwasher but it is still smudged."
The Following User Says Thank You to Moody For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

android01
Old
Thanks Meter 77
I got it working on a galaxy nexus. Put stub into system / app and install stub from there. Then take gearmanager.apk and change its extension to .zip extract all the apps from the zip and install them all. Then install gear manager and reboot the phone. It'll work
If your phone isnt rooted, you cant write to the system folder.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to android01 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

hobbiwan
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dentsu View Post
I have been going through this forum trying to get my samsung galaxy S2 running 4.4.2 (CM11) to work with my galaxy gear. Tried installing gearmanager/stub but it loop at connecting to gear even though it is already paired.
Does not work either on my Galaxy S2 running CyanFox 2.0.2 (CM 11, Android 4.4.2).

Can't run Gear Manager from XDA.

I ended up installing NULL on the Gear, so I have an Android device up and running.

Tried ATN Manager as well, but no luck in receiving notifications on the watch.

---------- Post added at 01:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody View Post
You can, however, try it using a little project I'm working on (porting Kitkat & Google Wear to the Gear) when it's finished, so don't abandon all hope just yet .
I am not giving up !

Keep us updated on your project !

Thanks

mr pnut
Old
Thanks Meter 370

DONATE TO ME
Latest Smartphones work with Samsung Gear

The smart phone list shows maybe more than what would be first thought, the compatible Galaxy smartphones are shown below.

Samsung Galaxy S5Samsung Galaxy Note 3 NeoSamsung Galaxy Note 3Samsung Galaxy S4Samsung Galaxy S4 MiniSamsung Galaxy S4 ActiveSamsung Galaxy S4 ZoomSamsung Galaxy Note IISamsung Galaxy S3Samsung Galaxy Grand 2Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3Samsung Galaxy Mega 5.8

Sent from my LG G Flexosaurus.

Brendo
Old
Thanks Meter 506

DONATE TO ME
I have a feeling you may need a device with Bluetooth 4 le?
Samsung Galaxy S IV (i9505) | 16GB
[ROM: Stock KK 4.4.2 | XXUFNC9 | MODEM GSM/LTE: XXUEML4/XXUFMC9 | BL: PRE-KNOX | K: ADAM | RECOVERY: PhilZ]
DOMINATION | XPOSED

OTHER DEVICES:

Google Nexus 5 | 32GB
Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 (P7310) | 32Gb
[ROM: CM10.2 | CPU: 1.4ghz]
Samsung Galaxy TabPro 10.1 LTE (T525) | 16Gb

Pebble (Kickstarter)
Galaxy Gear (Null_)
Gear Live ()
Google Glass (Explorer)

--------
My Android Downloads
The Following User Says Thank You to Brendo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

crutzulee
Old
Thanks Meter 263
I am running with null rom on my Gear and AOKP KitKat on my Original Galaxy Note (same generation as the Galaxy 2, not sure which bluetooth version) with great results.. They pair nicely. I am able to make and receive calls hands free with Google Now launcher and offline voice recognition. I can send and receive texts via Tablet Talk without being tethered to the internet (not completely hands free but with excellent voice dictation- again with offline voice recognition). I receive notifications without having to do anything special (In fact, with Google Now Launcher, I can read the incoming text when I pull down my status bar..When I click on it, Tablet talk opens for me to respond).

While I have Gear Manager loaded, it seems to be useless to me for the most part. None of the Samsung apps seem to work with the exception of the dialer and the contacts on ver 1.6x. I recently tried to update to the latest version in an attempt to get the runtastic pro app working. While I got it running (the latest GM), all I really suceeded in doing was wiping my Gear and losing the samsung contacts app working. I would eliminate GM alltogether but I suspect that the phone application has some dependancy..lol..

Here's a video of my setup working for making phone calls..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY9O...ature=youtu.be

EFCLEE
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by crutzulee View Post
I am running with null rom on my Gear and AOKP KitKat on my Original Galaxy Note (same generation as the Galaxy 2, not sure which bluetooth version) with great results.. They pair nicely. I am able to make and receive calls hands free with Google Now launcher and offline voice recognition. I can send and receive texts via Tablet Talk without being tethered to the internet (not completely hands free but with excellent voice dictation- again with offline voice recognition). I receive notifications without having to do anything special (In fact, with Google Now Launcher, I can read the incoming text when I pull down my status bar..When I click on it, Tablet talk opens for me to respond).

While I have Gear Manager loaded, it seems to be useless to me for the most part. None of the Samsung apps seem to work with the exception of the dialer and the contacts on ver 1.6x. I recently tried to update to the latest version in an attempt to get the runtastic pro app working. While I got it running (the latest GM), all I really suceeded in doing was wiping my Gear and losing the samsung contacts app working. I would eliminate GM alltogether but I suspect that the phone application has some dependancy..lol..

Here's a video of my setup working for making phone calls..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY9O...ature=youtu.be
Just watched your video, I am running stock on my gear with a note 8 on official 4.2....my entire life is on hold while I wait for the update which will then allow notifications on my gear, do u recommend null rom and is it faster than stock