[Q] No Root on Kitkat (slimkat) + Unlock?

Search This thread

utsmaster18

Nov 25, 2010
I don't know how this happen but it was previously on JB (slimbean) and I flashed Slimkat. It said it couldn't installation had failed a couple of times, so I did a factory reset and stuff and wiped the phone completely and tried again. The phone flashed correctly this time and I was able to boot into Kitkat, everything was working fine.

But when I tried to install Greenify etc. I found out that I had lost root. I'm not sure how this happened because obviously I was previously rooted otherwise none of this could have worked. I tried flashing another kernel (Mackay) nothing changed. I tried installing SuperSU etc. nothing.

Any ideas why? I just want to be rooted so that I can use the Galaxy S Unlock app to unlock the phone which is my main concern (need it for new sim). If there is any other method to unlock the phone without having to root it would be fine as well as long as I can unlock the phone.

Any ideas?

Thanks

joedom1

Dec 30, 2013
Madrid
Samsung Galaxy S III I9300
I don't know how this happen but it was previously on JB (slimbean) and I flashed Slimkat. It said it couldn't installation had failed a couple of times, so I did a factory reset and stuff and wiped the phone completely and tried again. The phone flashed correctly this time and I was able to boot into Kitkat, everything was working fine.

But when I tried to install Greenify etc. I found out that I had lost root. I'm not sure how this happened because obviously I was previously rooted otherwise none of this could have worked. I tried flashing another kernel (Mackay) nothing changed. I tried installing SuperSU etc. nothing.

Any ideas why? I just want to be rooted so that I can use the Galaxy S Unlock app to unlock the phone which is my main concern (need it for new sim). If there is any other method to unlock the phone without having to root it would be fine as well as long as I can unlock the phone.

Any ideas?

Thanks

When you flash most of these KitKat ROMs it seems you lose the superuser facility in so doing. Go to Settings>About Phone>Build number .... and press it like 7 times until it says you have developer options. Then go to Developer options and allow root access to apps or apps and ADB depending on your preference.
Then try Galaxy S unlock.
If the unlock doesnt work (and I know some people who say it hasnt) go back to GB 2.3.6 stock, root it with cf-root as usual, and then try unlock there. Then move back up to your kitkat after its unlocked.
Incidentally when moving up to Kitkat be sure to flash fist Cyanogenmod ROM, CM10.2 (or above) to get the new CWM recovery and the correct partition so that the rom works well.
Let us know

utsmaster18

Nov 25, 2010
Thanks for the response. What I did was flashed semaphore for KitKat using Odin. That did the trick for giving root. Used galaxsim unlock and everything succeeded except for one thing (network lock) but I think that may have been due to there being no Sim in the phone currently.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Stallione

Dec 9, 2012
Colombo
Root permission

Go to Settings>About Phone>Build number .... and press it like 7 times until it says you have developer options. Then go to Developer options and allow root access to apps or apps and ADB depending on your preference.

Thanks man!! I was also worried abt this. Installed SlimKat on my GT-N7000, everything worked ok (still testing) until I wanted root access, I installed SuperSU but it didnt get any response, I even reinstalled the CWM, which screwed my firmware (had to reinstall that too! :silly: )

After pressing "build number" as u said repeatedly, I got the developer options enabled, where I activated root permission. Then SuperSU installed n updated with proper root permission! :good:

joedom1

Dec 30, 2013
Madrid
Samsung Galaxy S III I9300
Thanks man!! I was also worried abt this. Installed SlimKat on my GT-N7000, everything worked ok (still testing) until I wanted root access, I installed SuperSU but it didnt get any response, I even reinstalled the CWM, which screwed my firmware (had to reinstall that too! :silly: )

After pressing "build number" as u said repeatedly, I got the developer options enabled, where I activated root permission. Then SuperSU installed n updated with proper root permission! :good:

Pleasure mate, not the first time its happened,