Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,327 Members 44,909 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Xperia S dead?

Tip us?

Sliverer
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default Xperia S dead?

Hello,

My Xperia S which I bought in August 2012 doesn't boot anymore. A few weeks after I bought it, I unlocked the Bootlader and installed custom Kernels and ROMs and it worked fine all the time. I was on KA 22.1 SSpeed and Advanced Stock 17 and wanted to try something else, so I installed XZXperience 2 and the Elite V2-Kernel.

Well, after that, the phone worked fine but I noticed some heavy battery drain. Charging took waaay longer than usual (full charge about 4 hours with the plug) and the drain was immense. BetterBatteryStats showed me a Deep Sleep of 98 % while I lost about 15 % of battery life in ONE hour, that can't be somehow. The phone however worked still fine.

So I decided to flash the Advanced Stock Kernel again but the drain didn't stop, it was as before. I thought that the Battery Stats are maybe corrupted, so I let the phone discharge itself completely (didn't take long) and wanted to charge it fully. When I plugged in the charging cable, the first unusual thing was, that the red light appeared instantly upon connecting. Normally it would take a second or so. The second thing is, there was no logo, no battery symbol, just nothing but the red light when I plugged the cable in.

I slept a night and after I woke up, I disconnected the cable and wanted to start the phone, but nothing happened. Still, the only thing the phone does, is lighting red, when it's plugged in. Fastboot or Flash-Mode don't work, the computer doesn't recognize anything.

So...what to do? it appeared after I flashed the new ROM and Kernel, but I don't think it has something to do with them...the drain was also there with the Advanced Stock Kernel. Although I must say, that I often had flashing errors, often the device said something like:

format_volume make_extf4fs failed on /dev/block/mmcblk1p2

To me, it looks like the battery has a deep discharge and is dead, but I don't know, what could I probably do before sending it in? If the battery is dead the warranty should still be there, even with the unlocked bootlader, am I right?

Best regards

mharckk
Old
Thanks Meter 177
when you power on your phone what happen?

Xperia Z1 running mharckk v1
Xperia S running mharckk v2
PROUD USER OF XPERIA PHONES -_-

RISHI RAJ
Old
Thanks Meter 106
Default Re: Xperia S dead?

Ur phone boots while charging,but not charging.If this the case keep ur phone in ur hands for 10-15 min.Enter into recovery while led is pink.Flash other kernel.Else take the battery out charge it,enter into recovery flash other kernel

Sent from my Xperia S using xda premium

Sliverer
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mharckk View Post
when you power on your phone what happen?
The phone doesn't start at all, nothing happens, when I push the power button.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RISHI RAJ View Post
Ur phone boots while charging,but not charging.If this the case keep ur phone in ur hands for 10-15 min.Enter into recovery while led is pink.Flash other kernel.Else take the battery out charge it,enter into recovery flash other kernel
I can't go into recovery, because the phone does nothing, I can't start it. There's still warranty on the phone, so I'd rather not like to remove the battery...

mharckk
Old
Thanks Meter 177
ok so its no screen at all,
when u pressed power+volume up for 10 seconds does it vibrate?

Xperia Z1 running mharckk v1
Xperia S running mharckk v2
PROUD USER OF XPERIA PHONES -_-

Sliverer
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Already tried, it doesn't...even after holding for minutes.

Toledo_JAB
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 2129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliverer View Post
Already tried, it doesn't...even after holding for minutes.
You could open the phone and disconnect the battery, or let the phone sit long enough for it the battery to die.
This will reset the phone.
Only problem is how long to let the battery die, as there is no way to tell.

Once the phone resets make flashtool ready to flash just the kernel, and use a rubber band to hold the volume down button in.
With flashtool waiting and button pressed plug in to PC.
It should give red led for about 10 minutes then flash.
You can read more tips & tricks in the RECOVERY thread in my signature.

From Jaramie's LT28at

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyphur View Post
Let me be very clear on this:
IF YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT UNDERSTANDING THE JOURNEY,
THEN YOU PROBABLY SHOULDN'T BE HERE IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Sliverer
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Well, the incident happened a few weeks ago and after I charged it over night and it didn't work, I left it there for nearly two weeks and nothing has changed so far. In your post, you said, that you had to wait for 51 hours until your battery died but two weeks is quite long I think...

What do you suggest? I think, I'll send it in, if the battery is broken, the warranty should cover it.

Toledo_JAB
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 2129

Quote:
Well, the incident happened a few weeks ago and after I charged it over night and it didn't work, I left it there for nearly two weeks and nothing has changed so far. In your post, you said, that you had to wait for 51 hours until your battery died but two weeks is quite long I think...

What do you suggest? I think, I'll send it in, if the battery is broken, the warranty should cover it.
I would call Sony and get the ball rolling on a warranty claim.
Sorry for your loss, and good luck

From Jaramie's LT28at

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyphur View Post
Let me be very clear on this:
IF YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT UNDERSTANDING THE JOURNEY,
THEN YOU PROBABLY SHOULDN'T BE HERE IN THE FIRST PLACE.

stifilz
Old
Thanks Meter 371

DONATE TO ME
Quote:

Simple fix I think. This has worked for Xperia S and Xperia U. Both phone i brought as "DAMAGED". LOL. Battery is toooooo dead for the phone to detect it..... Use a wall charger to charge the battery up . I used a charger off ebay ($2 including post) that was for a Galaxy I9000 battery (old phone) and used wires and taped them to the battery..... Didn't even need to fully charge it! just like a jump start sort of thing...

Came up with the idea as at work we have to "jumpstart" car batteries to trick the charger into charging them

If you have a DC power source that puts out 4.2v at 350mA +/- 50mA then TRY IT and please let me know.

Stifilz
SONY Tablet S HC 3.2, almost BRICK
HTC One M7 -> US Dev Ed 4.4.2 KitKat

....Please Click The Thanks Button....
[ALL SONY TAB UPDATE LINKS]
[CLICK HERE FOR OLDER OTA'S]
[SONY TABLET FAQ]
....Please DONATE, Keep Files Online....