FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

i9000 screen problem

6 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By romhunter, Junior Member on 26th August 2010, 10:38 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
Hi all,

Got the Galaxy S for a month, pretty happy with it. Yesterday, the brightness suddenly gone up. The worst part is the display lost the gradient scaling and it is replaced by colour bands!

Apps like the stock video player for example. Before the video is played, you can see the grey control bar at the bottom covers by a lot of colour bands. The colour of the movie is all washed out as if you were playing it in 8 bit colour mode. Where the same avi played okay before, crystal clear and colour was rich.

Same thing with the charging screen while the phone is off. You can see the colour bands on the grey area of the shadow of the green battery. Just wondering if anyone has the same problem?

Cheers!

26th August 2010, 11:26 AM |#2  

More
Factory reset :d
26th August 2010, 11:36 AM |#3  
OP Junior Member

More
Tried all that full factory wipe, data reset, flash to different rom. Nothing works
26th August 2010, 01:16 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 78

More
Then your device's probably faulty. replace it.
26th August 2010, 01:27 PM |#5  
OP Junior Member

More
Pretty certain it is. I took a screenshot of the video player and it looks fine but on the screen, you can still see those colour bands meters away.

I guess this indicates the LCD is faulty.
26th August 2010, 01:54 PM |#6  
Flag Ontario
Thanks Meter: 28

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by romhunter

I guess this indicates the LCD is faulty.

The galaxy s has no LCD its LED :P

Ive noticed when you slide down that tray from the top, when closing it mine has MANY TIMES switched to full brightness. But simply tapping the brightness button on the multi widget thingy makes it go back to how I want.
26th August 2010, 02:13 PM |#7  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by evil-doer

The galaxy s has no LCD its LED :P

Ive noticed when you slide down that tray from the top, when closing it mine has MANY TIMES switched to full brightness. But simply tapping the brightness button on the multi widget thingy makes it go back to how I want.

Thats because you can adjust the brightness by sliding your finger accross the notification bar.... doesnt work if you have auto brightness ticked...
26th August 2010, 02:19 PM |#8  
Flag Melbourne

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by talboy

Thats because you can adjust the brightness by sliding your finger accross the notification bar.... doesnt work if you have auto brightness ticked...

I have auto brightness ticked, sliding still works for me
Standard rom btw...

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App
26th August 2010, 02:59 PM |#9  

More
Hi I have the exact same problem! But I didn't notice it before now wen I saw this thread. But all the colours are just fine when I play a vid, it's just the grey controlbar that is by many stripes of different colours, looks like 8bit colour. But when the vid starts playing its just fine, because it gets transparent. Should I get this phone changed, have just had it a couple of weeks.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App
26th August 2010, 03:03 PM |#10  
OP Junior Member

More
Hi Radat,

I posted more info in the other forum including some screenshots. http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum....cfm?t=1520586

Hope yours okay. I am going to call Samsung tomorrow.
26th August 2010, 04:06 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 22

More
romhunter,

yup, saw the screenshots, looks like quantization problem i.e. that colours are using fewer bits than normal. For example, RGB screen might use 24 bits per pixel, 8 bits per r/g/b colour, the screenshots seem to suggest only 5 or 6 bits per colour.
Hopefully this is just a software glitch, though you said you already tried factory reset / wipe, could it be a loose cable wire somewhere or maybe a problem with the screen to mainboard connector?
Last edited by miki4242; 26th August 2010 at 04:08 PM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)