Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (10.1) won't shut down after the latest firmware update

OP beezerhale

2nd September 2013, 02:41 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
41 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2013
Hi. I hope this is the correct forum. My Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (10.1) won't shut down after the latest firmware update. I believe I had 4.2.1 and now I have 4.2.2. My device name is is GT-P5113. I plugged the Tab into my computer and Kies opened automatically. It said there was an update for my device so I updated.

All seems to be ok, but now when I choose to "shut down" the tablet shuts down and then cycles back on as if I had just pressed the power button to turn it back on.

I guess it could be worse - it could be refusing to turn on.

Is there a fix for this? Anybody else had this problem?

It is not rooted and I don't really want to do so.

Thanks in advance for any help!
2nd September 2013, 05:08 AM   |  #2  
mymeatb18's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 195
 
1,151 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2011
I think u could wipe cache in stock recovery I would do that and see if that fixes it. Hold down vol up and power at the same time till the device reboots into recovery. Dunno how it is on the bigger ones but on the 7" I have to keeo holding the buttons for a second longer after the samsung gtab2 logo comes on to boot in to recovery.

Remember u dont want to factory reset just wipe cache

Sent from my GT-P3113 using xda app-developers app
2nd September 2013, 02:46 PM   |  #3  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
41 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2013
wipe cache
Thank you for the reply. I tried that and got an "error". I was able to get to recovery mode and choose "wipe cache". It begins and I get an error message.



Quote:
Originally Posted by mymeatb18

I think u could wipe cache in stock recovery I would do that and see if that fixes it. Hold down vol up and power at the same time till the device reboots into recovery. Dunno how it is on the bigger ones but on the 7" I have to keeo holding the buttons for a second longer after the samsung gtab2 logo comes on to boot in to recovery.

Remember u dont want to factory reset just wipe cache

Sent from my GT-P3113 using xda app-developers app

2nd September 2013, 03:39 PM   |  #4  
mythi's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Amman
Thanks Meter: 1,802
 
1,365 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2013
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by beezerhale

Thank you for the reply. I tried that and got an "error". I was able to get to recovery mode and choose "wipe cache". It begins and I get an error message.


What type of error??
2nd September 2013, 03:44 PM   |  #5  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
41 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2013
error
It just read "error" and a image of the little android on it's back.



Quote:
Originally Posted by mythi

What type of error??

2nd September 2013, 03:47 PM   |  #6  
mythi's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Amman
Thanks Meter: 1,802
 
1,365 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2013
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by beezerhale

It just read "error" and a image of the little android on it's back.

can you take a picture of it ??
2nd September 2013, 04:33 PM   |  #7  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
41 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythi

What type of error??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythi

can you take a picture of it ??

I just uploaded 4 pics to a section of a website that I already have running.

Here is the link:


http://6thgraderocks.wix.com/galazyerror

The images show the end process of updating through Kies (I screen captured), the current tab info, the recovery screen and the error I get when I try to erase cache. Keep in mind, I am able to reboot and my tablet comes on like normal - no issues except when I try to turn it off - it comes right back on.
2nd September 2013, 07:29 PM   |  #8  
mythi's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Amman
Thanks Meter: 1,802
 
1,365 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2013
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by beezerhale

I just uploaded 4 pics to a section of a website that I already have running.

Here is the link:


http://6thgraderocks.wix.com/galazyerror

The images show the end process of updating through Kies (I screen captured), the current tab info, the recovery screen and the error I get when I try to erase cache. Keep in mind, I am able to reboot and my tablet comes on like normal - no issues except when I try to turn it off - it comes right back on.

Did you try flashing pit?? did you flash jb bootloader ?? did your device be rooted before flash ?? were you on cm/aokp/pac/slim/etc ??? if yes whic h build did you flash black hawk next kernel ?? <--- may be it what caused it ---> did you try to downgrade to 4.0.3/4.0.4/4.1.2 if yes what happened what did you flash before going to stock rom like mod and etc ???? hope you answer these questions !!

also try this

enable usb debugging
turn off your tab fully
connect tab to pc pull a logcat dsmg ksmg and post them as txt or pastbin


does your tab stuck in recovery loop like rebooting always to recovery sometimes until you compeletly shut down the tab?

if it is under warranty return it to SAMMY TO FIX IT IT IS THEIR FAULT !!

i think it is not hard ware related don't worry !!
2nd September 2013, 09:28 PM   |  #9  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
41 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2013
This tab is not rooted or tampered with at all. I have no desire to do so.




Quote:
Originally Posted by mythi

Did you try flashing pit?? did you flash jb bootloader ?? did your device be rooted before flash ?? were you on cm/aokp/pac/slim/etc ??? if yes whic h build did you flash black hawk next kernel ?? <--- may be it what caused it ---> did you try to downgrade to 4.0.3/4.0.4/4.1.2 if yes what happened what did you flash before going to stock rom like mod and etc ???? hope you answer these questions !!

also try this

enable usb debugging
turn off your tab fully
connect tab to pc pull a logcat dsmg ksmg and post them as txt or pastbin


does your tab stuck in recovery loop like rebooting always to recovery sometimes until you compeletly shut down the tab?

if it is under warranty return it to SAMMY TO FIX IT IT IS THEIR FAULT !!

i think it is not hard ware related don't worry !!

2nd September 2013, 10:21 PM   |  #10  
SebasC's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Cokato, MN
Thanks Meter: 17
 
218 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2007
More
I have the exact same problem with BOTH my Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 (Wi-Fi only) It's a software problem for sure...

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes