Nvidia and Robotics w/ Barrett Williams – XDA:DevCon 2014

Robotics continues to dominate our videos from this years XDA:DevCon 2014 in … more

Speed Up Deodexing with JoelDroid Batch Deodexer

Android 5.0 Lollipop brings many under-the-hood changes like changing the default compiler … more

Top 5 Apps for 2014 + Top Xposed Mod of 2014 – XDA TV

Its that time of year where you look back and remember the things that happened … more

NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet Gets Android 5.0.1, OTA Available

The NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet is the latest Android-powered device released by famed GPU … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] Front facing camera

OP Xernoxis

6th May 2014, 04:55 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Akershus
Thanks Meter: 23
 
161 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2012
So I finally got the phone and it is beautiful. Though when I use snapchat I mostly use my front facing camera, and it is really not that good. Is this bothering anyone else, or is it my phone? There is a lot of distortion/noise on the picture and even my S3 front facing is better. The main camera is really great though.
6th May 2014, 08:43 PM   |  #2  
Member
Thanks Meter: 7
 
96 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xernoxis

So I finally got the phone and it is beautiful. Though when I use snapchat I mostly use my front facing camera, and it is really not that good. Is this bothering anyone else, or is it my phone? There is a lot of distortion/noise on the picture and even my S3 front facing is better. The main camera is really great though.

I can confirm that on snapchat the front camera quality goes right down.

Seems better in the camera app, could be snapchat issue?
6th May 2014, 09:09 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Akershus
Thanks Meter: 23
 
161 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauliebb

I can confirm that on snapchat the front camera quality goes right down.

Seems better in the camera app, could be snapchat issue?

Yeah I tried the camera app, and while taking the picture it is exactly like on snapchat, but when you look at it after the shot is taken most of the noise is gone. Still on snapchat the noise is still there. It is a lot better in light, but terrible in medium light.
7th May 2014, 05:42 PM   |  #4  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
1 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xernoxis

Yeah I tried the camera app, and while taking the picture it is exactly like on snapchat, but when you look at it after the shot is taken most of the noise is gone. Still on snapchat the noise is still there. It is a lot better in light, but terrible in medium light.

Yeah same here. Have actually been searching around the internet these last couple of days to see if anybody else has the same issue.

Front camera is fine in the day, but when inside, even with artificial lighting (nothing major like florescent lights) it goes grainy, like blue and red pixels flying about the screen.

And yes, the picture does improve when the picture processing takes place on the camera app and on Instagram.

But unfortunately, this picture processing does not happen on Shapchat so you get very bad shots in the dark.

It's not a huge issue for me as in most cases, say good to above advantage lighting conditions. the front camera is good enough for small things like Snapchat. But when things do get dark, the image processing can improve things when taken on the camera app.

Oh and the rear camera? Well, no complaints there

I will post some shots later when it gets a bit dark here and see if you can compare

Cheers

Adam
8th May 2014, 10:22 AM   |  #5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 11
 
188 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2012
More
Same here! Its annoying that in anything but perfect natural light is goes rubbish.

I found the new "video chat" type function is pretty poor on forward facing camera too. Slightly better on skype, but still not fantastic. The people I am speaking to on iPhones, it is crystal clear, but on my side its pretty awful. Have you noticed the audio when recording a snap video is pretty poor too? This could be where I am holding it, as my fingers tend to be at the bottom of the phone, so maybe I am blocking a mic?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes