Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,501 Members 48,907 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Unbricking LG Optimus G e975 - using LGNPST, TWRP, ADB

Tip us?

klavslund
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Post [Q] Unbricking LG Optimus G e975 - using LGNPST, TWRP, ADB

Hello everyone,

First of all I would like to thank all of you in the community for being so engaged and eager to help out when something turns out in another direction as expected. Without your help so many would be left in complete darkness.

Let's start with my conclusion first:
  • I need either a BIN file for my phone which can be installed using LGNPST, or
  • A ROM file which can be installed using TWRP from TeenyBin recovery without verification errors on zip or phone assertion, or
  • A third – and to me unknown – solution which brings me closer to an unbricked phone.

Phone facts:
LG-E975, S/N: 303KPUU181542

TWRP 2.5.0.0 installed together with LGNPST TeenyBin

From the fastboot screen

PRODUCT NAME mako
VARIANT mako 32GB
HW VERSION rev_11 (&¤)
BOOTLOADER VERSION MAKOZ10f
BASEBAND VERSION N/A
CARRIER INFO None
SERIAL NUMBER xxxxx
SIGNING production
SECURE BOOT Enabled
LOCK STATE UNLOCKED

LG KDZ file identified is: E97510D_00

Sequence of things so far
  • 1) As all my previous Android phones I use CWM for backup and testing new ROM’s I installed this on my Optimus G and rooted the device. Also upgraded CWM recovery to latest version, (not touch though)
  • 2) After that it was not possible to boot into recovery due to ‘some’ error – I therefore changed recovery to built-in TWRP. Boot to recovery now gave Secure Boot Error – certification

NOTE: I found somewhere that rooting is NOT enough you also have to unlock, (FreeGee?). Could someone please confirm or reject?
  • 3) Now I turned to “[REPAIR] TeenyBin - Softbrick Quick Fix / Bootloader Unlock [E971, E973, E975, F180*]” using LGNPST and TeenyBin. Finally something happened – I could access the TWRP built in.
  • 4) Then I used ADB to push ROM to the internal SDCARD and recovery to install. But this method failed – tried several ROMs which all gave errors initially. I discovered that the install script pointed at “e975” in(ro.product.device and ro.build.product but the phone reports “geehrc4g”

This is the output in recovery.log when trying to flash ROM

Warning: No file_contexts
script aborted: assert failed: getprop("ro.product.device") == "e975" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "e975"
assert failed: getprop("ro.product.device") == "e975" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "e975"

Following the advice of changing the script by
a. Deleting the ‘assert’ line in the script, or
b. Changing the element to what the phone reports did not help

NOTE: I have seen someone claim that you should do this without unzipping first. I cannot see how this can be done. Please confirm if you have any knowledge on this. If unzip and zip causes the problem below – then what is the solution?

Changing the product device and build leads to this in recovery.log

E:Zip signature verification failed: 1
Error flashing zip '/sdcard/thinkingbridge.zip'
Updating partition details...

To ensure working environment I tried to flash gapps which worked perfectly so connection and recovery must be functional.
  • 5) Now turning to: ”[GUIDE] How to UNBRICK your Optimus G - security error, bootloop etc”
I used the method described and downloaded the appropriate KDZ file etc. etc but flashing gives this log:

10:05:58 : Launching SW update
10:05:58 : Unpacking KDZ
10:06:05 : KDZ file extracted
10:06:13 : Files were extracted.
10:06:13 : LGMobileDL Load.
10:06:13 : Port = -1
10:06:13 : Connecting to phone
10:06:25 : Check Phone mode = 2
10:06:25 : Phone type check.......
10:06:26 : LGMobileDL.DLL Loading....
10:06:26 : _SetAuthMark Fail
10:06:26 : _SetAuthMark Ok : wAuthMark(65535)
10:06:26 : _DetachDLL Call
10:06:26 : _DetachDLL Call End
10:06:26 : ParamPhone\E97510
10:06:26 : Param : waitTime = 0
10:06:26 : Param : UsbHighSpeed = 1
10:06:26 : Param : PhoneMode = 2
10:06:26 : Param : BinVersion = E97510D_00
10:06:26 : Param : AuthMark = 65535
10:06:26 : Call fn_StartUpgrade
10:09:27 : 3GQCT : wParam = 100, lParam = 210
10:09:27 : Step : Upgrade Error error code = 210
10:09:27 : ResetStartInfo() Call
10:09:27 : _DetachDLL Call
10:09:27 : _DetachDLL Call End
10:09:27 : FreeLibrary Call
10:09:27 : FreeLibrary Call End
10:09:27 : ResetStartInfo() Call End
10:09:29 : ===FINISHED===

At the point where KDZ file is extracted the phone reverts from download mode to recovery which is probably why it fails.

Looking in the forums these problems are rather common and the suggestions are multiple. I hope to be able to get this problem solved with the help from the community and if possible condense whatever the experience and conclusions must be in a guide to help others in this situation. Thanks very much in advance.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to klavslund For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kimitza
Old
Thanks Meter 601

DONATE TO ME
Better use KDZ updater for files smaller than 1gb.for bigger files use flashtool.
Also,have you tried emergency recovery from lg mobile tool?since you are on stock,it should work.

Smart phones, dumb people!!!
Freaking Annoying Questions (aka FAQ)- LG Optimus G(Intl)
MOD STOCK ROM WITH XPOSED FRAMEWORK
I don't offer support via PM. At least,not for free. Time=money.
The Following User Says Thank You to kimitza For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

klavslund
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimitza View Post
Better use KDZ updater for files smaller than 1gb.for bigger files use flashtool.
Also,have you tried emergency recovery from lg mobile tool?since you are on stock,it should work.
Hi Kimitza,

Thanks for your reply. I did discover the 1GB issue during my quest. Unfortunately I havn't found any smaller images in the KDZ format. Also afraid of getting an image incompatible which could end up finalizing the bricking of my phone

Regarding the stock thing I did try restoring using the LG Mobile Tool - but that also ended in an error where the tool asked me to disconnect the usb cable, restart the device and reconnect after the analysis. But I am unable to boot beyond fastboot and recovery.

I have a hunch that the TeenyBin could be the key to my issues. If - which I don't know - it has put "wrong" identity, (ro.product.device and ro.build.product), into "a" system file then changing this could be the way forward to use the recovery tool.

Do you think this is possible? And if do you know where the system keeps this information?

Cheers Klavs

kimitza
Old
Thanks Meter 601

DONATE TO ME
it's in build.prop i think.
if your files are bigger,use flashtool.
https://xq55.app.box.com/s/89wvuj27cfd6jahqojoe

Smart phones, dumb people!!!
Freaking Annoying Questions (aka FAQ)- LG Optimus G(Intl)
MOD STOCK ROM WITH XPOSED FRAMEWORK
I don't offer support via PM. At least,not for free. Time=money.

madbadmax
Old
(Last edited by madbadmax; 12th September 2013 at 10:12 PM.)
Thanks Meter 3
Hi there,

I'm stuck currently on exactly the same problem.

Actually i had my LGOG perfectly working with some CM10.1 Nightly build and yesterday i upgraded to CM10.2 Nightly (i also had to remove the first line of install script of the *.zip file, but this worked for me perfectly well in the past).
The upgrade process itself also worked fine, but when i rebooted my device the first time today, it got stuck on the CM boot screen animation.

Also Flashing the kdz file produced for me the same output (also with flashtool).

Finally i flashed another TeenyBin (the file is named "LS970_Original_TeenyBin-AA.bin" - i downloaded it the first time i unlocked my phone and I actually can't tell you where it is from) and after that flashing the kdz File worked for me (or at least, now it is installing).

Hope this helps you!

Edit:
My phone is working again (on CM10.1.3-RC2).
My Steps:
1. flash "E971.E973.E975.F180_Original_TeenyBin-AA.bin" via LGNPST
2. Boot to recovery
3. Download the zip file of the rom
4. Remove the first line of the "updater-script"
5. push the zip via adb to /sdcard
6. install the zip via recovery
7. it worked

Flashing the kdz file ended in a stuck boot-logo...

Good luck
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to madbadmax For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

nelly_85
Old
Thanks Meter 59
What's the command to push the zip to the device. I'm getting lost reading all the info online.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 4

atifsh
Old
Thanks Meter 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelly_85 View Post
What's the command to push the zip to the device. I'm getting lost reading all the info online.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 4
adb push xxx.zip /sdcard/

adb devices should show you device otherwise see if adb is setup correctly.

sirfrajput
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by klavslund View Post
Hello everyone,

First of all I would like to thank all of you in the community for being so engaged and eager to help out when something turns out in another direction as expected. Without your help so many would be left in complete darkness.

Let's start with my conclusion first:
  • I need either a BIN file for my phone which can be installed using LGNPST, or
  • A ROM file which can be installed using TWRP from TeenyBin recovery without verification errors on zip or phone assertion, or
  • A third – and to me unknown – solution which brings me closer to an unbricked phone.

Phone facts:
LG-E975, S/N: 303KPUU181542

TWRP 2.5.0.0 installed together with LGNPST TeenyBin

From the fastboot screen

PRODUCT NAME mako
VARIANT mako 32GB
HW VERSION rev_11 (&¤)
BOOTLOADER VERSION MAKOZ10f
BASEBAND VERSION N/A
CARRIER INFO None
SERIAL NUMBER xxxxx
SIGNING production
SECURE BOOT Enabled
LOCK STATE UNLOCKED

LG KDZ file identified is: E97510D_00

Sequence of things so far
  • 1) As all my previous Android phones I use CWM for backup and testing new ROM’s I installed this on my Optimus G and rooted the device. Also upgraded CWM recovery to latest version, (not touch though)
  • 2) After that it was not possible to boot into recovery due to ‘some’ error – I therefore changed recovery to built-in TWRP. Boot to recovery now gave Secure Boot Error – certification

NOTE: I found somewhere that rooting is NOT enough you also have to unlock, (FreeGee?). Could someone please confirm or reject?
  • 3) Now I turned to “[REPAIR] TeenyBin - Softbrick Quick Fix / Bootloader Unlock [E971, E973, E975, F180*]” using LGNPST and TeenyBin. Finally something happened – I could access the TWRP built in.
  • 4) Then I used ADB to push ROM to the internal SDCARD and recovery to install. But this method failed – tried several ROMs which all gave errors initially. I discovered that the install script pointed at “e975” in(ro.product.device and ro.build.product but the phone reports “geehrc4g”

This is the output in recovery.log when trying to flash ROM

Warning: No file_contexts
script aborted: assert failed: getprop("ro.product.device") == "e975" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "e975"
assert failed: getprop("ro.product.device") == "e975" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "e975"

Following the advice of changing the script by
a. Deleting the ‘assert’ line in the script, or
b. Changing the element to what the phone reports did not help

NOTE: I have seen someone claim that you should do this without unzipping first. I cannot see how this can be done. Please confirm if you have any knowledge on this. If unzip and zip causes the problem below – then what is the solution?

Changing the product device and build leads to this in recovery.log

E:Zip signature verification failed: 1
Error flashing zip '/sdcard/thinkingbridge.zip'
Updating partition details...

To ensure working environment I tried to flash gapps which worked perfectly so connection and recovery must be functional.
  • 5) Now turning to: ”[GUIDE] How to UNBRICK your Optimus G - security error, bootloop etc”
I used the method described and downloaded the appropriate KDZ file etc. etc but flashing gives this log:

10:05:58 : Launching SW update
10:05:58 : Unpacking KDZ
10:06:05 : KDZ file extracted
10:06:13 : Files were extracted.
10:06:13 : LGMobileDL Load.
10:06:13 : Port = -1
10:06:13 : Connecting to phone
10:06:25 : Check Phone mode = 2
10:06:25 : Phone type check.......
10:06:26 : LGMobileDL.DLL Loading....
10:06:26 : _SetAuthMark Fail
10:06:26 : _SetAuthMark Ok : wAuthMark(65535)
10:06:26 : _DetachDLL Call
10:06:26 : _DetachDLL Call End
10:06:26 : ParamPhone\E97510
10:06:26 : Param : waitTime = 0
10:06:26 : Param : UsbHighSpeed = 1
10:06:26 : Param : PhoneMode = 2
10:06:26 : Param : BinVersion = E97510D_00
10:06:26 : Param : AuthMark = 65535
10:06:26 : Call fn_StartUpgrade
10:09:27 : 3GQCT : wParam = 100, lParam = 210
10:09:27 : Step : Upgrade Error error code = 210
10:09:27 : ResetStartInfo() Call
10:09:27 : _DetachDLL Call
10:09:27 : _DetachDLL Call End
10:09:27 : FreeLibrary Call
10:09:27 : FreeLibrary Call End
10:09:27 : ResetStartInfo() Call End
10:09:29 : ===FINISHED===

At the point where KDZ file is extracted the phone reverts from download mode to recovery which is probably why it fails.

Looking in the forums these problems are rather common and the suggestions are multiple. I hope to be able to get this problem solved with the help from the community and if possible condense whatever the experience and conclusions must be in a guide to help others in this situation. Thanks very much in advance.
Can you kindly tell me how you ware able to start kdz upgrading process, because I am in TWRP (i.e. bootlocker unlocked + paranoid android rom + no service) and I cannot go into downloading mode :/ (in order to revert back to stock)

tabrezak
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Soft-brick

Hello everyone,
I soft bricked my phone that resulted in bootloop
I can only go to download mode. fastboot mode and recovery mode not possible
I tried to unbrick using custom rom and kdz updater but i cannot download kdz stock rom as i am new user it comes access denied.
Please help me... I need indian version stock rom for lg optimus G e975

mitushorizon
Old
(Last edited by mitushorizon; 22nd March 2014 at 07:04 AM.)
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirfrajput View Post
Can you kindly tell me how you ware able to start kdz upgrading process, because I am in TWRP (i.e. bootlocker unlocked + paranoid android rom + no service) and I cannot go into downloading mode :/ (in order to revert back to stock)
I've had the exact same problem... and I also don't know how to access Download Mode manually.
I found a way to go around the situation... and it was by flashing a Stock ROM zip file (and already Rooted!!)
It is a LG Stock ROM turned into a flashable zip file, which you can install via Recovery like any Custom ROM. It is Indian firmware version E97510e-IND-XX, but it has english language.
You can find it here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2407489

Go into Recovery, and flash the Stock ROM zip file, and the Keyboard-fix immediately after (or you be flooded with Force-Closes after reboot), also don't forget to wipe Data, Cache and Dalvik before rebooting to System, or you will be stuck with a bootloop situation.

When you get to your new LG Stock ROM system, you can either stay with this ROM (which is rooted and deodexed!), or you can change it!!
You will now be able to select "LG Software" on the USB connection type, and from there update to a newer firmware version via LG Mobile Support Tool, or to a firmware version of your choosing via KDZ Updater or Flash Tools... Flash Tools being the best method to choose, because it will not have KDZ extraction failures/issues.

See the link bellow for LG E975 firmware KDZ files...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabrezak View Post
Hello everyone,
I soft bricked my phone that resulted in bootloop
I can only go to download mode. fastboot mode and recovery mode not possible
I tried to unbrick using custom rom and kdz updater but i cannot download kdz stock rom as i am new user it comes access denied.
Please help me... I need indian version stock rom for lg optimus G e975
You will find it here!!
http://lg-phone-firmware.com/index.php?id_mod=20

The Following User Says Thank You to mitushorizon For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
e975, lgnpst, twrp, unbrick