FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] How to recover Lost Files from internal memory?

3 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By goedele, Junior Member on 16th October 2011, 01:31 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
What I lost:
The first TKD-sparringsmatches (ever) of the 7yo son of a friend of mine were succesfully filmed with my SGT 10.1v. The boy performed phenomenally: Despite being a debutant, he won 3 matches in a row and won the golden cup, abroad!

How It happened:
At home, I eagerly connected the SGT with the USB-cable to a Windows XP PC, selected the recorded media files in the DCIM/camera folder and choosed "MOVE". The transfer started, with placing the files in the "My Documents" folder on the PC. Because that wasn't my preferred destination, I canceled the transfer...
Then the disaster occured: The files disappeared !!! They no longer existed on the Tab.

Futile rescue:
I immediately started an obsessive search in Google, determined to find a solution to recover these lost files. In the meanwhile, I made sure to put nothing new in the tab's internal 16GB memory.

Now:
That happened a week ago, and I'm devastated. The only way, as far as I know now, to make a beginning in recovering the files would be to ROOT the device and install special software e.g. Hexamob, but that hasn't even been developed for Android Honeycomb.

Help:
Therefore, I can only hope to get an answer here, to help me in my moment of total desolation...
Last edited by goedele; 16th October 2011 at 08:33 PM. Reason: spell check

16th October 2011, 09:34 PM |#2  
Flag Holbęk

More
isent it possible to use a recovery tool on your pc and connect the tab with the usb cable and select the drive that way?
17th October 2011, 12:21 AM |#3  
OP Junior Member

More
Thumbs down
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalhoff

isent it possible to use a recovery tool on your pc and connect the tab with the usb cable and select the drive that way?

That would work if the internal memory would be recognized as an SD-card. But none of the appropriate 'undelete' programs that run on windows find the external flash drive
17th October 2011, 05:19 PM |#4  
Retired Senior Moderator / Resident Priest
Flag Blackpool UK
Thanks Meter: 1,583

Donate to Me
More
Questions or Problems Should Not Be Posted in the Development Forum
Please Post in the Correct Forums and Read THIS

Moving to General
17th October 2011, 06:09 PM |#5  
Louisiana
Thanks Meter: 22

More
I've successfully used software to recover missing data from a damaged sdcard. I don't remember the name of it as I'm at work and the software is on my home computer, but once I get home tonight I'll be sure to look and let you know.

EDIT: Found it! It's called PhotoRec: http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec I was able to use it and it recognized my sdcard when my computer wouldn't. Hope it works for you, good luck.
Last edited by 56789; 17th October 2011 at 06:23 PM.
17th October 2011, 07:40 PM |#6  
OP Junior Member

More
Thumbs down
Quote:
Originally Posted by varelawarfare

I've successfully used software to recover missing data from a damaged sdcard. I don't remember the name of it as I'm at work and the software is on my home computer, but once I get home tonight I'll be sure to look and let you know.

EDIT: Found it! It's called PhotoRec: (url)censored due to beginners status(/url) I was able to use it and it recognized my sdcard when my computer wouldn't. Hope it works for you, good luck.

Thanks varelawarfare but PhotoRec is just another example of software that rus under Windows and therefore doesn't recognize the internal memory of het SGT, it doesn't find the drive.
So it looks like the only way to recover the mediafiles would be an application that runs on the SGT 10.1v, inside or outside Android...
Last edited by goedele; 19th October 2011 at 12:09 PM.
27th February 2012, 06:44 AM |#7  

More
Were you ever able to find a solution?

I just did the same thing. Accidentally dragged my DCIM folder to another folder when in Windows, and it seemed to drop all of the photos/videos. I verified this by running an adb shell after.

The only 'recovery' apps don't seem to work on Honeycomb still, and none of the Windows or Linux file recovery programs will see the filesystem.

Just looking for ideas to get them back if possible at all.

Stock Honeycomb 3.1 on rooted 10.1
5th March 2014, 05:40 AM |#8  

More
I was having similar issue last time, you may follow the step by step guide that helped me last time
recover lost files from internal memory

hope this helps.
Last edited by junekaty98; 10th March 2014 at 05:21 AM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
10.1v, honeycomb, lost files, media files, recover

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)