Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,266 Members 40,450 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Tablet not detected when connected via usb at all

Tip us?

edgex
Old
(Last edited by edgex; 3rd March 2014 at 12:52 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 127
Default Tablet not detected when connected via usb at all

I connect my tablet to my two laptops, one is win 8.1 and the other osx, neither shows any sign of knowing the tablet is connected at all.

it does not prompt me to instal any drivers, i dont see it in device manager though i could be missing it. definitely doesnt show up in file explorer as a drive. have tried switching from mtp to ptp and back again. I have no dea. The same cable when connected to the charger works fine, but no sign of life on a computer.

I'm trying to root it and get CM10 on there but this is stopping me in my tracks.

edit: i also just tried an older windows xp computer, no luck their either.
Blackberry 7130c -> Blackberry 8700c -> Blackberry Curve 8310 -> Blackberry Curve 8900 -> Blackberry Curve 9300 3g -> Blackberry Bold 9700 -> Galaxy S II Skyrocket -> Nexus 4 -> Nexus 5

sbdags
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 12297

DONATE TO ME
Bad cable?

Turn in USB debugging in developer options?
ASUS Transformer TF700T/TF201/TF300T(GL)/ME301T
[ROM] CROMBi-kk TF700T Infinity
[ROM] CROMBi-kk TF300T | TF201T | ME301T
[ROM] CROMi-X TF700T Infinity
[ROM] mini-C TF700T Infinity
[ROM] CROMi-X TF300T(GL) | TF201T Prime | ME301T Smart Pad 10

ASUS Transformer TF701T
[ROM] CROMi-X TF701T
[ROM] CROMBi-kk TF701

Google Nexus 5
Rocking Stock!

Please Donate Here to support CROMi-X / CROMBi-kk Development

edgex
Old
(Last edited by edgex; 4th March 2014 at 05:35 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbdags View Post
Bad cable?

Turn in USB debugging in developer options?
Tried both that I own. And it charges fine. Also tried connection the keyboard dock and then the cable to that. Out of ideas.

USB debugging has been enabled and disabled multiple times. Multiple reboots. I'm going to try rolling back the firmware from .10 to .8
Blackberry 7130c -> Blackberry 8700c -> Blackberry Curve 8310 -> Blackberry Curve 8900 -> Blackberry Curve 9300 3g -> Blackberry Bold 9700 -> Galaxy S II Skyrocket -> Nexus 4 -> Nexus 5

_that
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2316
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgex View Post
I'm trying to root it and get CM10 on there but this is stopping me in my tracks.
You don't need to root it to install a custom ROM, you need to unlock the bootloader.

edgex
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by _that View Post
You don't need to root it to install a custom ROM, you need to unlock the bootloader.
Well its successfully unlocked. But I'm like 99% sure I need root for goo manager to install twrp. Or USB to work to install twrp via fastboot.... No?

_that
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2316
Quote:
Well its successfully unlocked. But I'm like 99% sure I need root for goo manager to install twrp. Or USB to work to install twrp via fastboot.... No?
I wouldn't start installing custom anything without working fastboot and adb access.

- Make sure the contacts of the connector and cable are clean.
- Do the equivalent of "lsusb" under OSX to check if the tablet is detected.
- Try different USB ports.

edgex
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by _that View Post
I wouldn't start installing custom anything without working fastboot and adb access.

- Make sure the contacts of the connector and cable are clean.
- Do the equivalent of "lsusb" under OSX to check if the tablet is detected.
- Try different USB ports.
Have tried five ports accross three computers on three operating systems. Two usb cables, and the use of the dock should have bypassed any dirty connections. I can try Ubuntu live boot tomorrow if it comes to that.

edgex
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 127
Sent it off to get fixed, they verified they had the same problem, waited weeks for a replacement part, they replaced it and sent it back. And its doing the samn damn thing. So done with this tablet.

LetMeKnow
Old
Thanks Meter 563
Quote:
Sent it off to get fixed, they verified they had the same problem, waited weeks for a replacement part, they replaced it and sent it back. And its doing the samn damn thing. So done with this tablet.
Did you freeze or disable your system apps by any chance?

edgex
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetMeKnow View Post
Did you freeze or disable your system apps by any chance?
No, and I would think a factory reset which I've done multiple times would have undone that even if I had on accident some way.