Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,773 Members 52,032 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Newbie questions on Flashtool

Tip us?

viral1991
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default Newbie questions on Flashtool

Having searched for this and moving through the official flashtool site, there still seems to be some confusion so here are some questions :

1. The rooting procedure for neo V ics locked bootloader instructs to flash a different kernel. So, is this possible without rooting, through flashtool?

2. Can we downgrade to stock gb from stock ics without rooting?

3. All flashtool instructions are in the X10 forums, which says that the instructions should be fine with the Neo too. So, is it okay with the Neo V too?

Regards,

Viral

Madfysh
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1495

DONATE TO ME
1. Yes,
2. Yes, but don't go below Android 2.3.3 or even 2.3.4, (only for Neo, since Neo V, is not that old)
3. Yes.

New to XDA? | Still interested in XDA? | Before you start
You need help OR wanna give feedback?
There's no stupid questions,only stupid answers,BUT,asking question that has already been answered IS stupid!
BEFORE you try anything with your phone,READ,after that,READ a bit MORE.
Always read first post,WITH UNDERSTANDING?
Stock FTF's
The Following User Says Thank You to Madfysh For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

viral1991
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Thanks a lot. So, in general, flashing stock ROMs & kernels doesn't require root. while even flashing hybrid ROMs requires root, right?

Also, have long should a typical flashing procedure take? If by chance, the USB gets disconnected mid-way & the phone gets bricked, will it be recoverable?

Thanks.

Madfysh
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1495

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by viral1991 View Post
So, in general, flashing stock ROMs & kernels doesn't require root.
Correct.

Quote:
while even flashing hybrid ROMs requires root, right?
Correct, actually it requires CWM recovery, which you can't install without root, so

Quote:
Also, have long should a typical flashing procedure take? If by chance, the USB gets disconnected mid-way & the phone gets bricked, will it be recoverable?
flashing is done in 2,3 minutes.
Please make sure that USB is in safe position. Most of the problems of failed flash can be solved by flashing it again, while some can be solved by paying someone to fix it with SETool box.
I didn't hear someone bricked it so much that not even setool box can't fix it.

anw, try not to disconnect usb
Good luck.

New to XDA? | Still interested in XDA? | Before you start
You need help OR wanna give feedback?
There's no stupid questions,only stupid answers,BUT,asking question that has already been answered IS stupid!
BEFORE you try anything with your phone,READ,after that,READ a bit MORE.
Always read first post,WITH UNDERSTANDING?
Stock FTF's
The Following User Says Thank You to Madfysh For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

lenovoOwner
Old
(Last edited by lenovoOwner; 5th March 2014 at 08:00 PM.) Reason: Wrong place to ask this question.
Thanks Meter 2
Default Selection in the Smart Phone Flash Toll

Placed this question in the Android Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting > [Ask Any Question][Newbie Friendly]

When I make the Scatter-loading I get a selection of files. Witch files are I allowed to exclude/ or do I have to include?
  • Preloader
  • MBR
  • EBR1
  • UBOOT
  • BOOTIMG
  • RECOVERY
  • SEC_RO
  • LOGO
  • EBR2
  • ANDROID
  • CHACKE
  • USRDATA
  • FAT

I wanted to flash another recovery (From another ROM for this phone (Had a Chinese boot-loader))
with MobileUncle MKT Tools.
When I like to flash another recovery do I have to flash the preloder too? or why I ended up in a bootloop?