No registration required

[Q] Not rooted Note 3 returned from repair - modified, rooted, not repaired

OP dvavajiva

6th February 2014, 06:39 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

13 posts
Hi.
I have a fault with my Note 3. It restarts itself, powers off, sometimes cannot power on (freezing when first Samsung logo appears), but time to time it powers on and runs for couple of minutes. I gave it for repairs to Phones4u (UK). They kept my phone for two weeks and I received info it cannot be repaired because it has been rooted and warranty does not cover it.
First things first:
- I have never rooted my phone
- nobody else had my phone in his hands without my attention (before I gave it to Phones4u repair service)
- I was using KNOX on my phone to keep data secured, which is not possible to run KNOX if phone was rooted
- I was updating this phone with original software by auto updates
- I never used something like "Odin"" or "custom Rom"

When the fault first appeared I tried to backup my data (successful). Then I decided to make a hard boot reset. Instead of pressing Power+Home+VolumeUp I pressed by mistake Power+Home+VolumeDown which took me to download mode, as I get known.
I only remember that I have seen on screen few lines which content that info (I rewrite with the help of google search):
Current binary: Official
System Status: Official
Knox Kernel Lock: 0x0
Knox Warranty Void: 0x0
Then I did a Hard Boot Reset and next day gave it to the service for repair.

Now, when unrepaired phone came back I was able to power it on and it was running for about 3 hours (maybe because it was cold or sth) untill it froze again and I had to take off the battery to restart. I installed app "check root" which told me phone isn't rooted, but I am unable to do any updates as "your device has been modified". I cannot install and run KNOX, because "your device is not authorised to enter KNOX"
Next, download mode tells me:
Current binary: Custom
System Status: Custom
Knox Kernel Lock: 0x0
Knox Warranty Void: 0x1

So, I am sure that somebody from repair team has made some changes in my phone and will not confess he did it. Customer Service is not helping me and I understand they think I am responsible for this fault. I found some help in Phones4u store in Motherwell, where some girl tried to contact repairs and customer services to get some answers fro 40 minutes with no results. Finally she was advised to contact Samsung. She arranged a service for me. I will send my device to Samsung when I receive some secure bag to send my device in.
However, I know they are unable to repair my device if KNOX Warranty Void 0x1. But what I am going to ask them is, can they find in that phone when was changes made and how. That would help me identify who is responsible for that. Do you think Samsung is able to read from my phone that modification time and date and who is guilty?
Last edited by dvavajiva; 7th February 2014 at 05:29 AM.
6th February 2014, 06:41 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 21

457 posts
lol

Sent from my SM-N900P using xda app-developers app
6th February 2014, 07:32 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 14

255 posts
I was under the impression that tripping knox would not invalidate your warranty in the uk and that the phone would still be repaired .
6th February 2014, 07:40 PM   |  #4  
Flag Manchester
Thanks Meter: 103

716 posts
More
I also had my phone returned to me from Samsung, my phone was rooted and i played dumb saying i just downloaded an app from the play store and that's why its rooted. They where not having any of it and said i invalidated my warranty Seems Samsung are getting tough
7th February 2014, 04:40 AM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

13 posts
nch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ant78

I also had my phone returned to me from Samsung, my phone was rooted and i played dumb saying i just downloaded an app from the play store and that's why its rooted. They where not having any of it and said i invalidated my warranty Seems Samsung are getting tough

Well, that's a bit different. My phone was not rooted when I was sending to the repair, and the repair service was not Samsung official, but some Accredited Repair Centre which cooperate with Phones4U.
I am not playing dumb, I never rooted my phone or neither modified software. Some incompetent guy from this repair centre could do that. I don't know how could that happened, I'm only sure what I didn't do.
Now, is it possible to check inside the phone when was it modified? It was send to repair on 23rd January'14 and returned to me on 5th of February. If during this time phone had some changes in software that means this repair centre is responsible for doing that. Again, is it possible to read from the phone when modifications (rooting, changing software from original to custom) have been done? Can Samsung repairs check that?
7th February 2014, 04:48 AM   |  #6  
Flag York
Thanks Meter: 1,507

3,698 posts
Donate to Me
More
Haven't I read this before on Phones4U forum?

Argue with them, don't take no for an answer.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
7th February 2014, 05:19 AM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member

13 posts
Yes, you have. I am trying to get any explanation from Phones4U Customer Service in this matter.
I hope Samsungs service is going to help me.
Nobody knows is there any record of date and time of software change in this phone? I want to be sure before I send it to Samsung repairs...
7th February 2014, 05:38 AM   |  #8  
Flag Bendigo
Thanks Meter: 238

536 posts
Donate to Me
More
I don't know if they can tell or not but you should insist they can - there should be certain files on there with a given date/time stamp. I can't imagine them implementing something like Knox without a log to track changes. Tell them to check the dates, give them the ones you have up above and insist they check to see when it was modded.

Does the UK have a forum like forums.whirlpool.net.au or maybe www.productreview.com.au? Many companies have reps that browse those sites to address concerns of customers, because they know such sites can have a dramatic effect on sales if the company gets slammed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Journyman16 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th February 2014, 05:39 AM   |  #9  
Flag York
Thanks Meter: 1,507

3,698 posts
Donate to Me
More
Under UK Law, we deal with the retailer not the manufacturer. You have to take the argument up with P4U and not Samsung, as P4U use their own Service Centres. - Find the EU Directive, throw it at them, watch P4U shat themselves. Always go in knowing your rights or they'll pawn you off.
The Following User Says Thank You to radicalisto For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th February 2014, 06:15 AM   |  #10  
OP Junior Member

13 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by radicalisto

Under UK Law, we deal with the retailer not the manufacturer. You have to take the argument up with P4U and not Samsung, as P4U use their own Service Centres. - Find the EU Directive, throw it at them, watch P4U shat themselves. Always go in knowing your rights or they'll pawn you off.

Even in UK we deal with the retailer, Samsung has repaired my friends SM-N9505 who had the same problem (rebooting loop). If I know that I would contact directly Samsung than Phones4U Accredited Repair Centre (they don't know how to fix N9005, so the best way is to put KNOX Warranty Void 0x1 to avoid unwanted job).

By the way, I found the company cooperating with Phones4U, it is Anovo

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread