FORUMS

.7 Amp vs 1.0 Amp Charger

379 posts
Thanks Meter: 61

By ricktat, Senior Member on 8th May 2012, 09:19 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
So the One X comes with a 1.0 Amp charger. The charger would not fit(too long) in the spot where I have been using my Samsung charger.

I compared the two and saw the only difference is the .7 A to 1.0 A. looked up if it was ok to use. Some even reported longer battery life with the slower charger. Makes some sense just lasts longer.

Maybe I am crazy but it seems like I get better battery life from the .7 charger.

I have went back and forth a few times....But of course not enough days to really tell.

thoughts?

8th May 2012, 09:35 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 101

More
Definitely overthinking it. It will just charge slower.
8th May 2012, 09:49 PM |#3  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 69

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by eallan

Definitely overthinking it. It will just charge slower.

Yep, what he said.

To think of it another way, you can charge your phone via a USB connection to your computer, but it's much slower. This is because USB only provides 0.5 (or maybe it's 0.2?) Amps.

However, going with an adapter that's HIGHER than 1.0A could cause damage.
8th May 2012, 09:51 PM |#4  
Detroit
Thanks Meter: 167

More
In the long run, slower charges will likely make your battery last more cycles. But on a per-cycle basis, it should not give better battery life.
8th May 2012, 10:02 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 232

More
If you run your battery down, the smaller charger (and definitely the case for PC USB because they max out at 500ma) may not be able to charge at all. In normal cases, it is fine.
8th May 2012, 10:33 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 902

More
Higher than 1a won't damage anything. .7 might not actually charge the battery 100% depending on if the phone thinks it is usb(500ma charging mode) or ac charger(wont charge properly).

Sent from my Desire HD using XDA
8th May 2012, 11:01 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by c5satellite2

Higher than 1a won't damage anything. .7 might not actually charge the battery 100% depending on if the phone thinks it is usb(500ma charging mode) or ac charger(wont charge properly).

This. The voltage is what really matters. The phone won't draw more than it can to charge. If it draws 1A while charging and you put it on a 2A charger, it will pull 1A. But if the voltages don't match up and there isn't a protection circuit for that type of problem, you could fry the electronics with a higher amperage.
The Following User Says Thank You to cc2ee For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th May 2012, 11:39 PM |#8  

More
100% on the voltage! That is the important one. .7a shouldnt be recognized as a real ac charger resulting in the phone thinking it is USB 500ma charging mode which is the same as pc, slow. If the device thinks the .7a charger is ac charging mode, the battery probably will never charge to 100%. In fact if you were at 100%, and the phone was in ac charging mode with a .7a charger, it would drain your battery! More than 1a, the phone will only draw what it is capable of. Some aftermarket chargers will still charge in USB 500ma mode because the phone won't recognize them as ac charging 1a mode. I had an old HTC charger once that did funny things to my inspire, it would open navigation every time it was plugged in(thought it was a car dock I guess). Use real OEM chargers if possible. They will charge the fastest, and you won't have issues. The real HTC chargers at 1a are much faster than the aftermarket chargers I have tried. I have a good Kensington 1a car and wall charger, and the HTC blows them away as far as speed!

Last edited by c5satellite2; 8th May 2012 at 11:46 PM.
9th May 2012, 12:08 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 232

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by c5satellite2

100% on the voltage! That is the important one. .7a shouldnt be recognized as a real ac charger resulting in the phone thinking it is USB 500ma charging mode which is the same as pc, slow. If the device thinks the .7a charger is ac charging mode, the battery probably will never charge to 100%.

Actually, AC charging mode or PC USB mode is not determined by amprage or volts (all use 5v). It is determined by how the data pins are terminated. Most non-Apple chargers terminate data pins the same way so they will be recognized as AC charger. Apple chargers are the ones that may not be recognized by the phone as AC chargers because Apple terminates data PINs different than everyone else. Regardless of the charging mode, they all can charge to 100% if they can initiate the charge.

LiIon battery charging circuitary is much more complicated than your normal AA chargers. It is regulated internally so that slightly variations of input voltage won't affect the charging. It has to internally control the charge process precisely so that it can terminate the process at the exact moment (overcharging results in explusion).
Last edited by foxbat121; 9th May 2012 at 01:10 AM.
9th May 2012, 01:05 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
Input power supply being 0.7A or 1A has no bearing on the level to which the battery is filled. Even input voltage has no bearing! The only impact to the system will be the rate at which you can charge.
9th May 2012, 01:27 AM |#11  

More
Not true. Some chargers make the device think it is a real ac charger, but do not provide enough to charge to 100%. And yes it has to do with pinout. Some ac chargers aren't recognized properly and results in USB charge mode even if they have more than 500ma available. Even if your pc provides more than the USB standard of 500ma, it will only draw 500ma and charge slowly.

Don't mess with the voltage, it WILL damage your device! The previous post should be ignored, and deleted.

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread