Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] Rooting Help (firewater, adb, and Rum runner)

OP Pharva

11th February 2014, 08:12 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
5 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2014
I'm trying to root my phone to install CM 10.2. I've been searching for a few hours and am getting more and more frustrated. I've read that Firewater is the easiest way to unlock the bootloader on my phone. I've downloaded Firewater, but I don't know what to do with it. Its just a file called "Firewater" with no extension. I don't know how to run it.

I've also tried RumRunner, and have had no success.

I'm not sure what ADB and Fastboot are, but I think I have some ADB stuff installed on my comp [ C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot ] and I have that path in my Environment Variables>path directory. I don't know what to do with it.

Please help me get started. Step by step instructions would be great. I saw a thread that isn't very old where someone was having root trouble w/ KitKat but they were able to run Firewater. I need help getting that started at least. Thank you.

Edit: Fastboot is Off
USB Debugging Enabled
HTC Sync (can't find it anywhere on my comp, or in the programs list ((control panel)) so I assume its not installed)
Drivers are installed on my comp.
Last edited by Pharva; 11th February 2014 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Additional Info
11th February 2014, 04:27 PM   |  #2  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
5 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2014
I've downloaded an ADB toolkit, and have it pathed. I opened the command prompt and ran "adb devices" to check. My phone showed up with no problem.

I then moved firewater to the current directory cmd was using c:\Users\MYNAME.

adb reboot
adb wait-for-device push firewater /data/local/tmp
adb shell

after this it displays:

127:shell@m7wlv:/ $

I entered "su"

/system/bin/sh: su: not found


Could anyone explain what I'm doing exactly by following these directions, and explain what I can do next to correct the problem?

Edit: su means Super User, correct? I've tried installing SuperSU, but It says that there is no SU binary installed. I haven't found out how to install the binary.
Last edited by Pharva; 11th February 2014 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Additional Info
11th February 2014, 09:32 PM   |  #3  
aer0zer0's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Cortland NY
Thanks Meter: 65
 
366 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharva

I've downloaded an ADB toolkit, and have it pathed. I opened the command prompt and ran "adb devices" to check. My phone showed up with no problem.

I then moved firewater to the current directory cmd was using c:\Users\MYNAME.

adb reboot
adb wait-for-device push firewater /data/local/tmp
adb shell

after this it displays:

127:shell@m7wlv:/ $

I entered "su"

/system/bin/sh: su: not found


Could anyone explain what I'm doing exactly by following these directions, and explain what I can do next to correct the problem?

Edit: su means Super User, correct? I've tried installing SuperSU, but It says that there is no SU binary installed. I haven't found out how to install the binary.

you need temp root... goto http://firewater-soff.com/ everything is right there. If you have kitkat from the OTA the other day, i dont believe it works on kitkat yet.
11th February 2014, 09:46 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
5 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2014
Thanks. I've read that temproot doesn't work on KitKat either. For now, it would seem that my only option is to wait, right?
11th February 2014, 10:05 PM   |  #5  
nty123's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
115 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2014
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharva

Thanks. I've read that temproot doesn't work on KitKat either. For now, it would seem that my only option is to wait, right?

Yes you are correct temp root method does not work for the newest OTA update and unfortunately there is no method for the CDMA version of the htc one so hopefully we will see a new method soon!
2nd March 2014, 01:45 AM   |  #6  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
8 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2012
S-Off not working
Quote:
Originally Posted by nty123

Yes you are correct temp root method does not work for the newest OTA update and unfortunately there is no method for the CDMA version of the htc one so hopefully we will see a new method soon!

I am having this problem also. I am trying to s-off with firewater and can't get past the SU also...it tells me SU can't be found.

Debugging enabled
Developer Mode enabled
Network band set to LTE/CDMA
No passcode or other security lock

My Fastboot and ADB are working fine. I am able to run the Temproot instructions, but it stops at SU. WHY?
2nd March 2014, 02:43 AM   |  #7  
nty123's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
115 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2014
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by payrovi2

I am having this problem also. I am trying to s-off with firewater and can't get past the SU also...it tells me SU can't be found.

Debugging enabled
Developer Mode enabled
Network band set to LTE/CDMA
No passcode or other security lock

My Fastboot and ADB are working fine. I am able to run the Temproot instructions, but it stops at SU. WHY?

just what the above post's stated, you need temp-root to, along with firewater. and if you are on the newest ota (kitkat 4.4.2) then you have no other choice but to wait. that mean's no downgrading either.
2nd March 2014, 03:22 AM   |  #8  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
8 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by nty123

just what the above post's stated, you need temp-root to, along with firewater. and if you are on the newest ota (kitkat 4.4.2) then you have no other choice but to wait. that mean's no downgrading either.

Thanks. Yes, I was able to temproot and firewater and get s-off.

I'm trying to load Cyanogenmod for my HTC One Verizon ( cm-10.2.0-RC1-m7vzw.zip ) through clockworkmod recovery 6.0.4.7

When I wiped the data/factory reset...it seemed to get stuck for >20minutes. I powered down and up...and it looked like some partial factory reset had happened.
I went ahead with the cyanogenmod zip update, through cwm recovery, and it seems to be stuck at Installing Update. Nothing is happening or moving.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for all the developer help.
2nd March 2014, 03:24 AM   |  #9  
nty123's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
115 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2014
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by payrovi2

Thanks. Yes, I was able to temproot and firewater and get s-off.

I'm trying to load Cyanogenmod for my HTC One Verizon ( cm-10.2.0-RC1-m7vzw.zip ) through clockworkmod recovery 6.0.4.7

When I wiped the data/factory reset...it seemed to get stuck for >20minutes. I powered down and up...and it looked like some partial factory reset had happened.
I went ahead with the cyanogenmod zip update, through cwm recovery, and it seems to be stuck at Installing Update. Nothing is happening or moving.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for all the developer help.

can you power off device and boot into recovery? (not sure what the problem is yet but you could try using a different recovery, twrp instead of cwm. before you try out twrp (if you do) make sure you have the latest version of cwm installed
Last edited by nty123; 2nd March 2014 at 03:29 AM.
2nd March 2014, 03:33 AM   |  #10  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
8 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by nty123

can you power off device and boot into recovery? (not sure what the problem is yet but you could try using a different recovery, twrp instead of cwm. before you try out twrp (if you do) make sure you have the latest version of cwm installed

I can boot into recovery, but can't boot the phone up.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes