Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,368 Members 52,187 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Any reason to get an AT&T Note 3 over T-Mobile?

Tip us?

Fallon
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 41
Default Any reason to get an AT&T Note 3 over T-Mobile?

I'm thinking about picking up a used Note 3 to use on my AT&T account. Is there any reason to get an AT&T branded note over T-Mobile branded?

I can SIM unlock the T-Mobile, but would have to deal with locked bootloaders with AT&T. All the supported bands are there using the T-Mobile on AT&T, right?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
Asus Transformer 16GB
CyanogenMod 10 derivative

Now retired:
Samsung Captivate - CyanogenMod 9

MattMJB0188
Old
Thanks Meter 164
I used the T-Mobile Note 3 for a while. I unlocked it using Chanfire's app. When using my AT&T sim card in it, I found the LTE to be horrible, despite supporting band 17 (700mhz) In places where I had average LTE on the iPhone, the TMO N3 would be on H+ or have the worst LTE signal. This was frustrating. I took it back. It was fun to flash roms and kernels though.

I got an awesome deal on a new AT&T note 3 where I couldn't pass it up haha. At first I noticed my AT&T LTE signal was not as good as it should be. I then created a thread about it. I cleared the cache in my phone and did a full factory reset. Now my LTE seems fine. Constantly sitting on -93db on my desk where my iPhone gets the same.

I'm pretty happy now with my AT&T Note 3. Rooting was so easy and gives me everything a custom rom would.

bormasina
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Yep, the LTE (band 17) on my N900T is horrible. My neighbor has N900A and we compared them side by side (with punching *#0011# and monitoring signal on both devices) and my N900T was always showing signal that was ~15db lower than the N900A. Gonna sell it. Will wait for Xperia Z2.

done12many2
Old
Thanks Meter 54
I agree completely with Matt and bormasina.

I just sold my N900T and bought a N900A and have noticed a dramatic improving, specifically in LTE bandwidth.

Hands down, the AT&T version performs better on an AT&T network. Go figure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

LG G3 (D850) Metallic Black

Samsung Galaxy S5 (SM-G900A) Charcoal Black

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (SM-N900A) Classic White

MattMJB0188
Old
Thanks Meter 164
Yeah. Is it a coincidence that the ATT version perms better on the network it designed for? I'm sure ATT optimizes their signals in their phones for the proper frequencies.

I'm actually sitting in a place where my N900T would sit on a -105dbm signal and right now my N900A has been locked on a solid -89dbm. Night and day difference.

Go with the At&T version. The T-Mobile version is fine though if your on their network. But AWS still does suck in general when it comes to signal strength.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Naddict
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 13651
please continue this here...http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2466099
Every time you don't use search, a kitten, bunny, baby turtle, and fuzzy Harp Seal are killed.

Read the Rules! -- Search Before You Post! -- Learn about XDA -- Need A Moderators Help? -- Get the Most out of XDA! -- Curious about GPL?
THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe