Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,583 Members 40,120 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] What's the best way to remove all data?

Tip us?

Eddie Hicks
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 23

DONATE TO ME
Default [Q] What's the best way to remove all data?

My Rezound is unlocked, rooted, stock rom and S-on. I want to sell it but first I want to remove all of my data and get it as close to factory as I can. From what I can gather the only way to get it back completely stock is to be S-off but that process seems a little much for me to try. Which of these 3 options is best for what I'm trying to do? A factory reset in the bootloader, a complete wipe of everything in TWRP or factory reset on the phone's settings? Thanks

acejavelin
Old
Thanks Meter 418

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Hicks View Post
My Rezound is unlocked, rooted, stock rom and S-on. I want to sell it but first I want to remove all of my data and get it as close to factory as I can. From what I can gather the only way to get it back completely stock is to be S-off but that process seems a little much for me to try. Which of these 3 options is best for what I'm trying to do? A factory reset in the bootloader, a complete wipe of everything in TWRP or factory reset on the phone's settings? Thanks
Without RUUing, which requires S-OFF, and assuming you have the correct firmware/radios, the best bet I have found is a total wipe in TWRP (everything, including internal but not external SD), then install http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2260154, it is a COMPLETELY stock 4.5.605.14 ROM with root added, after that is flashed, boot into TWRP again and wipe the external SD. It should be stock enough to sell.

If you want, you can even flash the stock recovery, but it shouldn't be necessary as long as you let the buyer know what you have done to it... I don't expect any more OTAs from VZW for this device, so it should be good to go.
Current Personal Phone: Google Nexus 4 on Cricket/Aio (Beanstalk 4.4.4 with hells-Core Kernel)
Current Work Phone: LG G2 VS980 on VZW (Official Beanstalk)
Current Tablet: iPad 4 and Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2
Other phones "in the family": HTC DNA, HTC One (M7), Motorola Moto G GPE
Previous/Retired Android Devices: HTC Aria, HTC Incredible 2, HTC Rezound, Samsung Stratosphere, Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nextbook 8P
The Following User Says Thank You to acejavelin For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Eddie Hicks
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 23

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejavelin View Post
Without RUUing, which requires S-OFF, and assuming you have the correct firmware/radios, the best bet I have found is a total wipe in TWRP (everything, including internal but not external SD), then install http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2260154, it is a COMPLETELY stock 4.5.605.14 ROM with root added, after that is flashed, boot into TWRP again and wipe the external SD. It should be stock enough to sell.
Thanks a million. That was perfect and easy. I'm thinking maybe I'll just keep it for a backup instead of selling it.