Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,023 Members 41,275 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] The Single Greatest Flaw of Nexus 7 Remedy????

Tip us?

rebecker
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 33
Default [Q] The Single Greatest Flaw of Nexus 7 Remedy????

I've had my Nexus 7 since Christmas. While I really like it, I still am VERY disappointed in it (in)ability to handle video output. Has there been ANY developments since Christmas in fixing this huge flaw? Any new hardware that will make viewing a movie from the Nexus to a TV acceptable? Any software that will improve the situation? I really am disappointed that I still have to watch videos through my Kindle (which I WAS planning to give to my daughter). I did buy a converter cord that was suggested here, but it's somewhat mediocre; odd "static" flashes, odd over-bright colors.
Samsung Galaxy S2 (i9100) :: Android 4.4.4

mdamaged
Old
Thanks Meter 840

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebecker View Post
I've had my Nexus 7 since Christmas. While I really like it, I still am VERY disappointed in it (in)ability to handle video output. Has there been ANY developments since Christmas in fixing this huge flaw? Any new hardware that will make viewing a movie from the Nexus to a TV acceptable? Any software that will improve the situation? I really am disappointed that I still have to watch videos through my Kindle (which I WAS planning to give to my daughter). I did buy a converter cord that was suggested here, but it's somewhat mediocre; odd "static" flashes, odd over-bright colors.
Chromecast with, BubbleUPnP UPnP/DLNA or AllCast or LocalCast Media 2 Chromecast.
Kenneth, what is the frequency? Set a fire for a man, and he will stay warm for a night. Set a man on fire, and he will stay warm for the rest of his life.

rebecker
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdamaged View Post
Chromecast with, BubbleUPnP UPnP/DLNA or AllCast or LocalCast Media 2 Chromecast.
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, I spend a great deal of my time in an area with extremely erratic internet. I simply can't use the internet to stream, so a hard wire is required. I bought a Patuoxun Slimport MyDP, which "works", but the quality is pretty mediocre. Static, hesitancy. I was hoping that there was some sort of new hardware that kept things smooth and consistent. My old Kindle Fire HD had a much better output quality (although not perfect). Hoping to at least match it on my Nexus.

mdamaged
Old
(Last edited by mdamaged; 1st March 2014 at 03:39 PM.)
Thanks Meter 840

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, I spend a great deal of my time in an area with extremely erratic internet. I simply can't use the internet to stream, so a hard wire is required. I bought a Patuoxun Slimport MyDP, which "works", but the quality is pretty mediocre. Static, hesitancy. I was hoping that there was some sort of new hardware that kept things smooth and consistent. My old Kindle Fire HD had a much better output quality (although not perfect). Hoping to at least match it on my Nexus.
Actually, it uses your wireless LAN bandwidth, not internet.

Yeah, those chinese dongles knock-offs are not the best deal, I have heard the best from people using the real thing: http://www.amazon.com/SlimPort%C2%AE.../dp/B009UZBLSG
Kenneth, what is the frequency? Set a fire for a man, and he will stay warm for a night. Set a man on fire, and he will stay warm for the rest of his life.

rebecker
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 33
Quote:

Yeah, those chinese dongles knock-offs are not the best deal, I have heard the best from people using the real thing: http://www.amazon.com/SlimPort%C2%AE.../dp/B009UZBLSG
Thanks again. A fairly outrageous price for a connector, don't you think. Looks like my Nexus experience will be short. I'll probably go back to my Kindle. Live and learn.

mdamaged
Old
Thanks Meter 840

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Thanks again. A fairly outrageous price for a connector, don't you think. Looks like my Nexus experience will be short. I'll probably go back to my Kindle. Live and learn.
Well, you get what you pay for.

Did you see the part about those apps not using internet? They use the local lan, they don't even need internet (other than for installing them initially/license checks).

rebecker
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 33
Quote:
Can you explain this to me? Are you saying that the connection is "local"? So, if I have a movie on my Nexus and want to "broadcast" it to my TV through Chromecast, is the signal NOT uploading and then downloading via the internet? Because I cannot use the internet where I live part time to stream; the connection is way too slow. Can you explain how "wireless LAN" is setup and how it works? And is this possible using a Roku instead of a Chromecast (I own a Roku unit).

Thanks.

mdamaged
Old
(Last edited by mdamaged; 1st March 2014 at 07:03 PM.)
Thanks Meter 840

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Can you explain this to me? Are you saying that the connection is "local"? So, if I have a movie on my Nexus and want to "broadcast" it to my TV through Chromecast, is the signal NOT uploading and then downloading via the internet? Because I cannot use the internet where I live part time to stream; the connection is way too slow. Can you explain how "wireless LAN" is setup and how it works?

Thanks.
Right, it's local, it gets the video from your device over your wireless router, to the chromecast, internet does not come into play at all.

Do you have a wireless router (aka wifi)? If so then all you do is set up the chromecast to attach to it, then have your N7 connect to the same wifi network, then your N7 can send to the chromecast directly, with the help of one of those apps.

If you do not have wifi access point or router, then you will of course have to buy one, initially you will need internet to get the apps and stuff, but once it's setup you can play movies/ pics/ music that is on your N7 directly to your chromecast on your TV.

The Following User Says Thank You to mdamaged For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

DrRuckingFetard
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Can you explain this to me? Are you saying that the connection is "local"? So, if I have a movie on my Nexus and want to "broadcast" it to my TV through Chromecast, is the signal NOT uploading and then downloading via the internet? Because I cannot use the internet where I live part time to stream; the connection is way too slow. Can you explain how "wireless LAN" is setup and how it works? And is this possible using a Roku instead of a Chromecast (I own a Roku unit).

Thanks.
if you don't have a chromecast but happen to have a PS3 or Xbox 360 you can use Skifta/Bubble UPNP to stream files from your tablet to your console to watch on tv, I use Skifta and it works flawlessly on my ps3 as mdamaged said above, no need to internet to come into play, just your local network so internet issues won't affect it

as for your Roku player, they have an app to do exactly that, stream straight to it but for some reason apparently doesn't support N7 2013, but supports the 2012 version
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...om.roku.remote
Nexus 7 2013 (Flo)- PAC ROM 4.4.4, ElementalX kernel
Nexus 5- PAC 4.4.4
HTC One X (endeavoru)- CM 11 (retired)
Sony Tablet S (retired)- stock 4.1.2

rebecker
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRuckingFetard View Post
if you don't have a chromecast but happen to have a PS3 or Xbox 360 you can use Skifta/Bubble UPNP to stream files from your tablet to your console to watch on tv, I use Skifta and it works flawlessly on my ps3 as mdamaged said above, no need to internet to come into play, just your local network so internet issues won't affect it

as for your Roku player, they have an app to do exactly that, stream straight to it but for some reason apparently doesn't support N7 2013, but supports the 2012 version
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...om.roku.remote
I downloaded the app you listed above. It now lists N7 2013 as compatible. I could get the pictures and music functions to work, but not videos. I have access to a massive legal catalog of MKV and MP4 movies. However, when I tried to play either type via the software I get a message that the movies are incompatible with the Roku. I guess my next move will be to borrow someones Chromecast and try it. Life shouldn't be this hard.