Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,048 Members 45,504 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Camera

Tip us?

GolfFreak
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default Camera

Apologies but the search is down. Can someone tell me how the camera is with this fella?

HomesliceOne
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quite excellent, very fast in low light and extremely fast during the day when the sun is strong.

But since it's 4mp, it has some noise issues but not bad at all. Go check this thread. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2238529

homeslice976
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2105

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomesliceOne View Post
Quite excellent, very fast in low light and extremely fast during the day when the sun is strong.

But since it's 4mp, it has some noise issues but not bad at all. Go check this thread. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2238529
I've been on the interwebz since the '90s and I've never come across another homeslice. I think I'm having an identity crisis
The Following User Says Thank You to homeslice976 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

txsizzler
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfFreak View Post
Apologies but the search is down. Can someone tell me how the camera is with this fella?
There are a lot of folks that have had problems with the camera on this model too. Google "HTC One camera focus", and you will see what I mean. Also, there are issues with many people having blue and purple graininess in low-light conditions. Supposedly, HTC is working on a "software fix" for both issues, but I am not holding my breath.
The Following User Says Thank You to txsizzler For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

noobsquared
Old
Thanks Meter 39
I have the G2 right now and I came from HTC one. I believe HTC one has a much better camera in low light. G2 over processes the pictures and night pictures are horrible. I have yet to see a phone that takes better pics than HTC one at night. I'd rather have a good night camera since most of my pics are indoors over something like G2 that is just not working for me. Wide angle lens has me kind of spoiled too.

Sent from my LG-D800 using xda app-developers app

handscreen
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by txsizzler View Post
There are a lot of folks that have had problems with the camera on this model too. Google "HTC One camera focus", and you will see what I mean. Also, there are issues with many people having blue and purple graininess in low-light conditions. Supposedly, HTC is working on a "software fix" for both issues, but I am not holding my breath.
If you're up for it run a custom ROM and never fret about manufacturer updates again. Stock software problems become non-issues.

Cubfan99
Old
Thanks Meter 65
Quite simply, the images themselves are not bad, but the lens distorts horribly. It's too wide and people look silly.

ericiidx
Old
(Last edited by ericiidx; 22nd October 2013 at 01:17 PM.)
Thanks Meter 11
Since you specifically asked about the camera... I honestly couldn't recommend this phone any less (due to the camera.) The phone itself? Excellent. Mine has minor build quality defects, but I don't foresee them to be detrimental to the livelihood of the phone over the next few years.

The camera, however, is incredibly unreliable, and not up to snuff with the standards set in smart phones over the past few years. My Galaxy S2 took marginally better photos than this camera is capable of. Good shots from this shooter are, quite literally, 1 out of 100. It only adds insult to injury that these good shots are pretty damn good. Not once have I managed to whip the phone out and point-and-shoot my way to a great shot on the first attempt, either. Here's a few examples of what I consider to be worthy shots from this camera. Each one took around 4-5 attempts to remedy focusing/white balancing/ISO issues. Finally, here's an example of a point-and-shoot situation. This pretty accurately represents the kind of photos I get from this phone in everyday usage; decent color representation, but poor white balancing, and poor detail in anything more than 5 feet away -- notice there's no distinguishable focal point -- everything is out of focus.

Barring the sub-standard photo quality, mine is useless in low light situations, due to the purple/pink discoloration of images, and poor focusing. Check out this thread about the issue -- it's pushing 300 pages of replies in just over 4 months.

On the flipside, if you give this lens the tons of natural light that it needs, you're bound to get some excellent shots. I noticed that trend pretty quickly in the photo thread linked above -- outdoor shots are mostly great, indoor shots are mostly terrible (no offense to any of you who contributed to that thread!)

If you were to say you wanted an awesome smart phone that just so happened to take pictures, I'd probably have much better things to say about the device. Since you asked about the camera, I encourage you to avoid it like the plague. It's such a disappointment to me, a guy who has had a lifelong appreciation for cameras and photography, that I began considering my other options only a month into owning the phone. I'm even curious about the Nexus 5, and no one even knows how that camera behaves yet.

eortizr
Old
Thanks Meter 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobsquared View Post
I have the G2 right now and I came from HTC one. I believe HTC one has a much better camera in low light. G2 over processes the pictures and night pictures are horrible. I have yet to see a phone that takes better pics than HTC one at night. I'd rather have a good night camera since most of my pics are indoors over something like G2 that is just not working for me. Wide angle lens has me kind of spoiled too.

Sent from my LG-D800 using xda app-developers app
If you need a good camera phone for low light (Night) situations then you need a Lumia 92x or above. They are excellent on that department.
Please hit 'Thanks' if I helped you.

mrrick
Old
Thanks Meter 1707
The camera is awesome. Just make sure you get a phone with a properly functioning sensor and you'll be blown away. Seriously.

All taken with the HTC One. All by me. I hate seeing people put blame on something when really they just don't take the time to thoroughly learn and use it properly. I mean, It's not a magic box guys, you do have to do some work and learn the settings and different modes and what works best for the situation you're in.. Cheers!

*SĄgned

---------- Post added at 05:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:50 AM ----------

*SĄgned

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mrrick For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]