Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,869 Members 39,651 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] multirom and linux

Tip us?

razrhackr
Old
(Last edited by razrhackr; 16th October 2013 at 02:37 AM.) Reason: answered some questions for myself
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Default [Q] multirom and linux

Hi all, I have a few questions concerning the nexus 7 flo.

I have unlocked, flashed twrp, rooted, and backed up my tablet. Now I want to flash other ROMs and Linux.
My questions are:

1. Do I need to remove twrp to install/flash multirom?
2. Will the stock kernel work with multirom?

Thanks for your help!

razrhackr
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Default update

I sent a pm to the Dev... No answer yet. Does anyone know?

Class_of_punk26
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Good question if you find out let us know

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

LSWaard
Old
Thanks Meter 7

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by razrhackr View Post
Hi all, I have a few questions concerning the nexus 7 flo.

I have unlocked, flashed twrp, rooted, and backed up my tablet. Now I want to flash other ROMs and Linux.
My questions are:

1. Do I need to remove twrp to install/flash multirom?
2. Will the stock kernel work with multirom?

Thanks for your help!
1. No. But you will need to reflash the recovery with the supplied modified recovery(.img)-file. This will overwrite your previously installed recovery with a modified version.
2. It will not work: you need to have a kernel that has been patched with the kexec-hardboot patch (I use ElementalX)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45886569

Firstly, there are videos on youtube. If you want, just search for "MultiROM installation" on youtube and watch those, big thanks to all who made them. There is also an awesome article on Linux Journal.

Note 1: Your device must not be encrypted (hint: if you don't know what it is, then it is not encrypted).

MultiROM has 3 parts you need to install:
MultiROM (multirom-YYYYMMDD-vXX-flo.zip) - download the ZIP file from second post and flash it in recovery.
Modified recovery (TWRP_multirom_flo_YYYYMMDD.img) - download the IMG file from second post and use fastboot or Flashify app to flash it.
Patched kernel - You can use either one of the stock ones in second post or third-party kernels which include the patch, you can see list in the second post. Download the ZIP file and flash it in recovery.
You current rom will not be erased by the installation.
Download links are in the second post.
MultiROM is compatible with both flo and deb.
The Following User Says Thank You to LSWaard For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

razrhackr
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Thanks! Also, do you know if it is possible to compile a kernel for flo with the rtl8187 USB drivers included, or if anyone already has.

StrangerWeather
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 4619
Hi, you only need a patched kernel for your primary rom. You can use any other kernel, including stock, for secondary roms.

Do you have details about flashing Linux on the N7 2013? I couldn't find anything much when I googled it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to StrangerWeather For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

razrhackr
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangerWeather View Post
Hi, you only need a patched kernel for your primary rom. You can use any other kernel, including stock, for secondary roms.

Do you have details about flashing Linux on the N7 2013? I couldn't find anything much when I googled it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
I'm currently trying to get the "complete Linux installer" app to work. I've gotten Ubuntu to mount and work with ssh successfully with the terminal emulator by making changes to the bootscript, but no luck so far with vnc. I think I'll have to unpack the image and change the file system to ext4, but I haven't had time. As for truly flashing Linux, I found a few success stories using a modified Ubuntu image, but they removed the stock image. I haven't heard of anyone doing it with multirom... Yet. But that's my next project.
The Following User Says Thank You to razrhackr For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

LSWaard
Old
Thanks Meter 7

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by razrhackr View Post
I'm currently trying to get the "complete Linux installer" app to work. I've gotten Ubuntu to mount and work with ssh successfully with the terminal emulator by making changes to the bootscript, but no luck so far with vnc. I think I'll have to unpack the image and change the file system to ext4, but I haven't had time. As for truly flashing Linux, I found a few success stories using a modified Ubuntu image, but they removed the stock image. I haven't heard of anyone doing it with multirom... Yet. But that's my next project.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2467059
You might want to follow this thread: in which the official LinuxOnAndroid-developer states that he is working on a fix for 4.3 host-devices.
The Following User Says Thank You to LSWaard For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

razrhackr
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Just an update... I flashed multirom successfully, and complete Linux installer now works with flo! Some images work better than others, I've had great success with the Ubuntu small image.
The Following User Says Thank You to razrhackr For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

nscxp2005
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Excellent news razrhackr!

Would you be able to link to a thread with a MultiROM image or a guide on how to do the same.

Thanks

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk
HTC Hero - Brown - Elelinux 7.1-Hero-v3.6
Xperia Play - IceCream Pureness 14.0 (TurboKernel 3.0, Recovery TWRP) OC 1.5Ghz
Acer Iconia A500 - HoneyVillain 3.2 - HV 3.7 Kernel OC 1.4Ghz