Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,223 Members 52,914 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Ask noob(newb) questions here.

Tip us?

Drewmungus
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 55
Default Ask noob(newb) questions here.

I've noticed there's alot of new people here. I figured I'd give you guys a place to ask questions that might be common knowledge to the more experienced people here.

So ask away.....
Samsung Galaxy Nexus(Prime!)CDMA/LTE:CM9
HTC EVO 3D: CM7
B&N Nook Tablet:Waiting for CM7/9
HTC EVO 4G:CM7
HTC G1:CM7
HTC Hero(CDMA):CM7
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Drewmungus For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tritrung
Old
Thanks Meter 0
There is just 1GB on the NT for users to contain their own data, right? So, if I got a microSD, can I expand my own data storage?

And after rooted, can I install the apk or download games/apps on the Android market?

P/S: Sorry, my English it not good.

ms2003
Old
Thanks Meter 18
i'm also a new guy. but i can help answer some simple questions to reduce senior guys' work load. if not correct, please point out.

to tritrung's questions, here's my answer:
default 1G data's usage just like TF card, you can store your files on TF card and the 1G internal storage, and it will be 2 folders, not one.
12G storage is used to install apks, which almost no limit for applications.

even if you don't rooted, you can install most programs, but if you want use google market, you need to root the device
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ms2003 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tritrung
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms2003 View Post
i'm also a new guy. but i can help answer some simple questions to reduce senior guys' work load. if not correct, please point out.

to tritrung's questions, here's my answer:
default 1G data's usage just like TF card, you can store your files on TF card and the 1G internal storage, and it will be 2 folders, not one.
12G storage is used to install apks, which almost no limit for applications.

even if you don't rooted, you can install most programs, but if you want use google market, you need to root the device
Thank you very much!
By the way, have you used the Nook Tablet? Is its touchscreen sensitive?

n8w
Old
Thanks Meter 23
The screen is quite responsive...much better than the nook color.
The Following User Says Thank You to n8w For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ewbradford
Old
(Last edited by ewbradford; 26th November 2011 at 09:43 PM.) Reason: title not right for post
Thanks Meter 0
Default Advice for micro SDHC cards for Nook Color hold the same for Nook Tablet?

I have been doing research on what Micro SDHC cards are best for the NT. From the XDA forum for Nook color, the best cards going are those that are class 4 from San Disk that are 16GB in memory due to the read/write speeds for smalls block random files. (Nook color benefits tremendously from this when custom ROMs are loaded I believe). Link is here for above info:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...rn+to+love+cm7

With the hardware upgrade for the NT, does the above still hold true? Or can I now start searching for higher class micro SDHC cards (class 6 or even 10)? Planning on getting my NT in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks for your help. It is much appreciated. These XDA forums are great for finding great answers/solutions to problems. Keep up the excellent work.

Regards, Eric in San Diego, CA

Drewmungus
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 55
Yes pretty much everything in that thread still applies and is pretty sound advice. In general the higher the class the better. I have a class 10 16gb in mine. For just stuff like playing music any class is fine. When you start to get into advanced things like booting roms from sd or apps2sd is where class really starts to matter. One of the important things to remember is the class rating is the minimum speed that model should write. Like with my Sandisk 32gb class 4 alot of people were reporting write speeds around 6-8mbs/sec. Another example is the Sandisk in the thread you linked. Those are around $35 on Bens outlet or I heard newegg has them too. Good luck!
Samsung Galaxy Nexus(Prime!)CDMA/LTE:CM9
HTC EVO 3D: CM7
B&N Nook Tablet:Waiting for CM7/9
HTC EVO 4G:CM7
HTC G1:CM7
HTC Hero(CDMA):CM7
The Following User Says Thank You to Drewmungus For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mtemal
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Where do files download to by default? Ive tried to download some pictures and other files via the web browser. The notification area on thr bottom says the files have been downloaded but it wont open them. For instance, with an apk I downloaded from this forum when i click to open it it says "cannot open file".

---------- Post added at 07:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:13 AM ----------

Never mind just found it.

/mnt/media/My Files/My Downloads

n8w
Old
Thanks Meter 23
I thought i would add this (perhaps) little known tidbit...
Swiping the notification bar from right to left will serve as a back button when one does not appear to be available.

Sent from my BNTV250 using Tapatalk
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to n8w For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

skeeterpro
Old
(Last edited by skeeterpro; 27th November 2011 at 08:10 AM.)
Thanks Meter 129
OK. Lots of newer users here so let me touch on a few things that should well translate from the NC.

1. uSD classes: seems to matter little when using apps. Seldom are the speeds accurate anyway. Use reputable brands. Sandisc one of the best.
2. Never format uSD in your device. Always on your computer. Don't use Windows format. Often creates problems. Use this. Free and never failed me.
3. Root is optional for the NT right now. Certain apps require root access BUT untill a workable recovery scheme is devised I would recommend sideloading. Always unmount before removing. Yes, OTA will work and GApps will update.
4. I've not seen yet a reliable method of re-partitioning the eMMC for the NT (might have missed it if so) therefore sideloading would appear a workable plan for now.
5. If the hurdles can be overcome (and it is early yet, people) to achieve root + recovery many options will open but the NT appears pretty darn good as it is. Patience is a plus.
6. Search function and Google search is your friend. Xda is phenomenal but there are many other forums and many senior members post/read to several.
7. Research what you want to do before doing it. God knows I learned that the hard way myself!
8. An app called App2SD can help you moved apps that will function from the uSD and clear space on the eMMC.
9. Did I mention read and research?
10. One last thing...it's always good form to click "thanks" when assistance is lent.

The senior people on here once were where you are now and are happy to lend a hand. Read the Xda rules and all should be well.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."....A. Einstein
----------------------------------------------------------

Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 Civato Flexbeam 4.2.2
Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 6800/OmniROM 4.4
SGS III Stock Rooted TW/Unlocked/4.3
Dell Venue Pro 8 64GB Win8.1/ClassicShell Mod

The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to skeeterpro For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]