Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,095 Members 41,084 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

F2FS Read/Write Performance using Linux Kernel 3.11+

Tip us?

SkOrPn
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 447

DONATE TO ME
Default F2FS Read/Write Performance using Linux Kernel 3.11+

Has anyone heard about the performance increases that F2FS received recently regarding the latest Linux Kernels 3.11 - 3.14? Apparently, F2FS is a serious contender when used on NAND based devices. I wonder how many years it will be before us Android users get linux kernels like this?

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...14_ssdfs&num=2

unBricked 6 times via "The SkOrPn JIG"
"The SkOrPn Motorola & Kindle Fire Factory Cable"

High Quality is never an accident.
It is always the result of excellent intention, intelligent direction, sincere effort and skillful execution.
It represents the wisest choice of many alternatives! ~ William A. Foster ~ Edited by ME!

adomol
Old
Thanks Meter 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkOrPn View Post
Has anyone heard about the performance increases that F2FS received recently regarding the latest Linux Kernels 3.11 - 3.14? Apparently, F2FS is a serious contender when used on NAND based devices. I wonder how many years it will be before us Android users get linux kernels like this?

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...14_ssdfs&num=2
Hopefully it isn't years till that happens. The difference on my N7 since I've switched to All-F2FS is very incouraging. It would be nice to make it a built in option to use for those who are willing to give this new file system a spin.

SkOrPn
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 447

DONATE TO ME
Yes it looks like it has a ways to go but man oh man it sure speedied up my device. And I agree, kinda like they did with ART. I wonder why Samsung is doing this though? I sure hope they don't plan on building the next generation file system and then turn around and try and get companies to pay license fee's for it. Lol

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

It is always the result of excellent intention, intelligent direction, sincere effort and skillful execution.
It represents the wisest choice of many alternatives! ~ William A. Foster ~ Edited by ME!

T-Keith
Old
Thanks Meter 60
The moto x already uses f2fs,and it has great performance for the hardware.

Moto X 32GB
Nexus 7 (2012)
HP printer with Zeen Tablet (2.2)
HP touchpads

SkOrPn
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 447

DONATE TO ME
Let's hope that trend spreads to other devices and spills over to other manufacturers.

Juhful
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Thumbs up Very fast!

The difference with using F2FS is quite noticeable, very pleased so far, and also I hope other developers start making more roms and kernels for this file system.

SkOrPn
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 447

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juhful View Post
The difference with using F2FS is quite noticeable, very pleased so far, and also I hope other developers start making more roms and kernels for this file system.
Me too... However, until Google adopts it, it will always be considered a MOD. I just hope a dev some where figures out how to make it an easy transition. Right now it is scaring a lot of people when they make a tiny mistake, do not realize it and then are asked for a password to access their own device... lmao

Juhful
Old
(Last edited by Juhful; 13th March 2014 at 11:12 PM.) Reason: added info
Thanks Meter 2
Thumbs up True

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkOrPn View Post
Me too... However, until Google adopts it, it will always be considered a MOD. I just hope a dev some where figures out how to make it an easy transition. Right now it is scaring a lot of people when they make a tiny mistake, do not realize it and then are asked for a password to access their own device... lmao
But I have only been using Android for about a month so if I could do this then anyone should be able too lol The big problem seems people are not FORMATTING just wiping.

The Following User Says Thank You to Juhful For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]