Pogo Connector Pin-out

1st December 2012, 08:27 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag Sunny San Diego
Thanks Meter: 13

33 posts
Hi. I've followed the Pogo Charger thread looking for pin-out info on the Nexus 10 pogo connector. No posts on the actual pin-out. I did learn about the 'polimeter', but I digress.

I've done some probing around and have some preliminary info on the connector to share. I used a Fluke 189 dvm and a Tektronix 2252 scope.

First order is to identify pin 1. I'm assuming that when viewing the connector with the screen up, pin 1 is on the left.

Pins 1 and 6 are ground. Zero resistance between the two.

Pin 2 is a control pin. Open circuit voltage is 1.12 V. If you pull it down with a 1.5K ohm (minimum) resistor momentarily and let it go up, the Nexus 10 powers on. (Discovering that was good for excitement ...) Once powered on, if you pull it down again, Nexus goes into clock mode. Obviously meant for a dock. Don't know if this pin does other tricks. Note that the picture of the pogo charger connector shows pin 2 missing.

No clues about pins 3-5. One is obviously +5 for charging. But I'm not ready to apply power to unknown pins yet. Seems to me that since there's a charger floating around, it would be better to wait for someone to check out its pins.

Pins 3-5 are near ground level. No pull-ups, clocks, etc.

I had no luck finding audio on any of the pins. There might be a control function that mutes the Nexus speakers and enables audio. Or it might happen when you supply charging power.

I hope that there are some brave souls out there that could help identify more pins. The charger is the most important because it might enable other pins.

Murray
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 8008Hacker For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd December 2012, 12:42 AM   |  #2  
Flag Wilmslow
Thanks Meter: 203

2,073 posts
More
Usually, with these SOCs, varying resistances between the control pin and ground can cause you to enter various modes, such as download mode on other Samsung devices, along with countless other modes, dock, speaker dock, etc.

If we could get some ultra high resolution teardown photos, I could work out the charging pins.

My pins should be here in a couple of weeks too, so I can start making my pogo charger.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
2nd December 2012, 05:07 AM   |  #3  
OP Member
Flag Sunny San Diego

33 posts
The hi-res photo is a good idea, but I don't think it's going work here. Take a look at the logic board in the teardown at

www dot powerbookmedic dot com/wordpress/2012/11/16/google-nexus-10-take-apart-first-look.

(Sorry, but the site isn't letting me insert a proper URL because I'm a new guy ...)

The dock cable connector is the one on the lower right diagonal from the SoC. Judging from the size of the passive components, it looks like the power management circuit is above the connector just to the right of the processor. Here's the problem: the top of the board has a power/ground plane that hides all of the traces from the connector.
14th December 2012, 06:18 AM   |  #4  
OP Member
Flag Sunny San Diego

33 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alias_neo

Usually, with these SOCs, varying resistances between the control pin and ground can cause you to enter various modes, such as download mode on other Samsung devices, along with countless other modes, dock, speaker dock, etc.

If we could get some ultra high resolution teardown photos, I could work out the charging pins.

My pins should be here in a couple of weeks too, so I can start making my pogo charger.

alias_neo - Any progress on the pin out or your pogo charger?
14th December 2012, 08:47 AM   |  #5  
Flag Wilmslow

2,073 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8008Hacker

alias_neo - Any progress on the pin out or your pogo charger?

Friday not, haven't been home much, working late to finish up before Christmas, so by the time I been getting home I'm collapsed.

Will probably get started and finished with it over Christmas holiday.

14th December 2012, 08:17 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 7

99 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alias_neo

Friday not, haven't been home much, working late to finish up before Christmas, so by the time I been getting home I'm collapsed.

Will probably get started and finished with it over Christmas holiday.

I'll have mine by then and I plan on ripping it apart the day I get it and figuring out the proper pins for charging...
14th December 2012, 08:22 PM   |  #7  
Flag Wilmslow

2,073 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpayne1

I'll have mine by then and I plan on ripping it apart the day I get it and figuring out the proper pins for charging...

Just as importantly, see what the ID pin is connected to (if anything?) and which two pins are connected for data (which, since it has 5 pins, I assume it does data too).
14th December 2012, 10:06 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 2

17 posts
according to this site 2 pins are for data transfer and 2 pins are for audio (left and right).
16th December 2012, 01:15 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 7

99 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGGr

according to this site 2 pins are for data transfer and 2 pins are for audio (left and right).

Apparently you haven't read anything in this thread, which completely nullifies that speculation page completely.

3 pins are already known...that leaves 3....we have 1 for power...that leaves 2....can't have data AND audio...
16th December 2012, 04:02 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 2

17 posts
I did, but I forgot about the dock pin. maybe some pins have a multi purpose of some sort.
a spec sheet from samsung would be ideal but I guess that will never happen.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread