Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,480 Members 45,490 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Maximum charger amperage?

Tip us?

Yamiyanazz
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Maximum charger amperage?

Alright, so I have a mini USB car charger that is rated at 2.0A (got with GPS) and I just want to make sure the extra amperage is not going to charge my battery too quickly and then kill it in the process. All I have to go on is that my wall charger is capable of only 1.0A and the computer USB is on the level of mA. Does anybody have a car charger or know the maximum amperage possible that these phones can take?

Thanks in advance.

CrazyXbox360
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Its to Strong ! I have Crash a PDA with 1.5A
!!! Please Donate for my stolen XDA Orbit 2 !!!

FalconGrey
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I've used a 2.0a charger but noticed that the battery didn't charge right.

On that note, also noticed that a .5a or 500mA charger after about 6 months killed my battery. (burned out and won't take a full charge anymore)

Recommendation is to stick to 1.0A charging as much as possible as the Wizard's charge circuit is designed at 1.0A charging and monitoring.
T-Mobile MDA Vario 1.5.4.2WWE / Radio 1.13.10 / ExtRom Customized
AT&T Samsung Note 3 NB4 Rom

sivankls
Old
Thanks Meter 0
DOESN'T MATTER ..if u know the basic Ohms Law..its the max capacity of the charger.(or any source) the current regulating circuits will take care of the real charging current fed to the battery
Sivanand_Balan
---------------------------------
HTC Wiza 200

Current ROM:
MSD 6.5.1.7 - (Build 23085)
IPL: 3.08
SPL: 3.08
GSM:2.69.11
Previous:
*MSD 6.5.1.5 - 23075
*CR86 6.1 (2.7 CLEAN)
*X2H's WM6.1 Manilla
*CR86 6.1 (2.6 CLEAN)
*CR86 6.5 (b 21202.5.0.0 CH)
*CR86 HD 1.2 clean, 1.7 clean,1.8.1 clean,
*CR86 Touch HD 1.6.20765
*TNT.20273 prof

Service provider: Airtel & Idea (India)

tkteun
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I charge my phone on my computers USB connection all the time, all computers have a maximum of 500mA USB current.

Amps are pulled from the charger, not pushed to the phone.

Voltages are pushed to the phone, not pulled from the charger.

If the phone draws too much current from the charger, the voltage drops to a point where the maximum power (P (Watt) = U (Voltage) * I (Amps)) of the charger isn't exceeded.

According to the USB specification you need at least 200mA with 500mA recommended +5VDC.

More is never a problem, you could even use a 50A power supply without breaking your phone. Practically spoken: I wouldn't do that.
The Following User Says Thank You to tkteun For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

lostinacrowd
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default huh?

I have messed up a few devices before by putting the wrong charger on the device (2.0 amp charger on a droid eris and 1amp charger on the MOTOACTV) Is this a problem with the device's charging circuit? In general it should only pull up what it needs to charge but my devices were messed up?
I returned the first MOTOACTV after it wouldn't leave the boot screen and the second one I got acted funny on 1 amps as well. It charged fine on .75amp charger that came with the device but when I put it on my HTC Dinc charger it shot up from 10% to 20 to 30 etc. all within minutes. Hope I didn't mess this one up too.

Just trying to figure out what the deal is. My phone for sure charges faster when connected to 1amp vs .5amp (computer). This makes sense I understand because the device is able to handle 1amp, but I wonder if it would mess up with a 2amp charger.

Thanks!

n2rjt
Old
Thanks Meter 99
The last two posts of 2008 are correct. Your phone is capable of drawing more than 500 mA but less than 1000 mA. If the charger is 1A, 1.5A, 2A, or 50A, it won't make a difference to the phone's charging time or life.
Wrong voltage can be bad, but phones are designed to support USB charging, as a minimum, and 1A to 2A is always safe. As was said in 2008, the charger pushes voltage to the battery, but the battery pulls current from the charger.
My Devices, newest to oldest:
* TV box: Rikomagic MK802 IV; stock (Android 4.2.2)
* TV box: Rikomagic MK802+; Uberoid (Android 4.0.2)
* Phone: Samsung Galaxy Nexus (Maguro/GSM); stock (Android 4.3) w/ Fancy Kernel
* Tablet: Motorola Xoom; stock (Android 4.1.2)
* Phone: HTC Touch Pro 2 (Rhodium) [dead] Android 2.3
* Phone: HTC Kaiser; Android 2.2 "Fresh Froyo"
* Phone: HTC Wizard; WM6.1 Ham3r H3r7

PeetPeet
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default That's a really good way of describing it

Pushing and pulling current and voltage is a really good way of describing it.. Given that I am theoretically well within the charging parameters, how comes my phone (Galaxy mini/pop) becomes unusable when its charging (touch screen doesnt touch and screen jumps to new screen without touching?) Am I wrecking my phone?

n2rjt
Old
Thanks Meter 99
No, your charger is to blame. Maybe it isn't properly grounded. Phones with capacitive touch screens (not the Wizard! but maybe your phone) can get really weird on some chargers. I have a Nexus One with an aftermarket charger that always makes the touch screen go haywire. When I use an HTC charger, the phone has no problem. As far as I know, the damage isn't permanent, it's just that the sensors get confused. When I disconnect from the charger, turn the phone off, then turn it on, all is well.
My wizards were never bothered by chargers, no matter what kind, as long as they were mini-USB, they were the right voltage. The wizard doesn't take as much current as more modern phones, either.
My Devices, newest to oldest:
* TV box: Rikomagic MK802 IV; stock (Android 4.2.2)
* TV box: Rikomagic MK802+; Uberoid (Android 4.0.2)
* Phone: Samsung Galaxy Nexus (Maguro/GSM); stock (Android 4.3) w/ Fancy Kernel
* Tablet: Motorola Xoom; stock (Android 4.1.2)
* Phone: HTC Touch Pro 2 (Rhodium) [dead] Android 2.3
* Phone: HTC Kaiser; Android 2.2 "Fresh Froyo"
* Phone: HTC Wizard; WM6.1 Ham3r H3r7
The Following User Says Thank You to n2rjt For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

PeetPeet
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Hmm. Not properly grounded sounds very plausible. Viva mediterranean circuits. Thanks