Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,536 Members 52,866 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Holding note 10.1 2014 in portrait mode

Tip us?
 
Kimo377
Old
#1  
Kimo377's Avatar
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 53
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ismailia
Question [Q] Holding note 10.1 2014 in portrait mode

How is it possible to hold this tab in portrait mode with those stupid hardware buttons located at where my left had is supposed to grip the tab?
I think this will be a turnoff for people who intend to use the tablet mainly for reading and annotating textbook, unless there is an option to disable hardware buttons while in portrait mode or completely disable them and replace them with software buttons with orientation.
 
Kimo377
Old
#2  
Kimo377's Avatar
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 53
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ismailia
The alternative will be holding the tablet upside down with the left hand gripping the camera

btw this is the only issue holding me from buying this tab
 
fryguy18
Old
#3  
Member
Thanks Meter 7
Posts: 31
Join Date: Aug 2009
It seems like people are making a bigger issue out of this than it actually is. The long side is around 10 inches long and the buttons might take up three. I'm sure you'll be able to handle it without accidental button presses. In my opinion, having the menu button just below my thumb is a welcome feature.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to fryguy18 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
miloytyn
Old
#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 69
Posts: 112
Join Date: Oct 2011
Since the buttons are on the long side, that is the default way of holding it. Now the question is that if you are holding it with left hand, why you don't simply rotate it to other direction?
 
Kimo377
Old
#5  
Kimo377's Avatar
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 53
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ismailia
Quote:
Originally Posted by miloytyn View Post
Since the buttons are on the long side, that is the default way of holding it. Now the question is that if you are holding it with left hand, why you don't simply rotate it to other direction?
Being a right handed person i hold the tab by the left hand and write/turn pages by the right.
I'm not sure if holding the tab by the camera is a wise idea, for the risk of accidentally touching the camera lens.
 
Kimo377
Old
#6  
Kimo377's Avatar
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 53
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ismailia
Quote:
Originally Posted by fryguy18 View Post
It seems like people are making a bigger issue out of this than it actually is. The long side is around 10 inches long and the buttons might take up three. I'm sure you'll be able to handle it without accidental button presses. In my opinion, having the menu button just below my thumb is a welcome feature.
It may be only me but I'm more comfortable holding the tab from the middle of the left side.
 
miloytyn
Old
#7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 69
Posts: 112
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimo377 View Post
Being a right handed person i hold the tab by the left hand and write/turn pages by the right.
I'm not sure if holding the tab by the camera is a wise idea, for the risk of accidentally touching the camera lens.
Well I don't see why touch the lens is that bad thing, as it usually is the part of phone, for exsample, which is touching table etc. And any fingerprints can be easily wiped from the lens. But that is just me.

ps. I don't understand using covers with phones either, with tablet they are more useful.
 
Han Solo 1
Old
(Last edited by Han Solo 1; 27th September 2013 at 02:23 PM.)
#8  
Han Solo 1's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 162
Posts: 664
Join Date: Aug 2013
Yep, this is the only drawback I see. My stupid Crapple fans are going to laugh at me with their thin-bezeled, button free iPad 5's.

I don't know why the hell they had to put a hardware button on it. Hardware buttons on tablets are stupid.

EDIT:

I'll probably rotate it and hold it by the camera lens. It's not like I'll ever use a gigantic tablet to take a picture anyway. That's why I'm getting my Note 3, so I can take pictures with a gigantic phone.
 
Kimo377
Old
#9  
Kimo377's Avatar
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 53
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ismailia
Quote:
Originally Posted by miloytyn View Post
Well I don't see why touch the lens is that bad thing, as it usually is the part of phone, for exsample, which is touching table etc. And any fingerprints can be easily wiped from the lens. But that is just me.

ps. I don't understand using covers with phones either, with tablet they are more useful.
For me phone cover is more important since I drop it frequently unlike the tab
 
Kimo377
Old
#10  
Kimo377's Avatar
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 53
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ismailia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Han Solo 1 View Post
Yep, this is the only drawback I see. My stupid Crapple fans are going to laugh at me with their thin-bezeled, button free iPad 5's.

I don't know why the hell they had to put a hardware button on it. Hardware buttons on tablets are stupid.

EDIT:

I'll probably rotate it and hold it by the camera lens. It's not like I'll ever use a gigantic tablet to take a picture anyway. That's why I'm getting my Note 3, so I can take pictures with a gigantic phone.
You are right about the back camera but the front one i use frequently for video calls.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes