Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,117 Members 47,522 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Way to sync my texts?

Tip us?

CJD14
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Default Way to sync my texts?

Hello,
I have a wonderful nexus 5, that is my current cellular device. And I also have a wonderful nexus 7 2013. I tend to carry both with me all the time, considering the nexus fits perfectly in my jacket pockets.

I sync there files countless ways that it's as if my nexus 7 is simply an extension of of the 5. One thing that has been bugging me is the fact hangouts does not sync conversations via text messages from my nexus 5. Which makes sense considering there is no cellular plan on the nexus 7.

But that shouldn't make this impossible.
Couldn't there be a way I can sync my text messages some way or another. I know there is countless internet texting services that are completely free. Couldn't I forward my mobile texts to one so I can respond on the 7? Even if it took another number that's fine. I could just use a text app but I haven't found one that can forward my texts from my mobile.

Maybe I could figure out a way to use a combo of features. Maybe send the push notifications to my nexus 7 from the 5 but have it allow me to respond.

Heck maybe even if I could finally get a VNC server working on my nexus 5 that would be prefect too as I could just jump to it to respond and go back to nexus 7ing.

I don't know I'm at a loss so I figured id ask the collective intelligence to maybe help spark some ideas.
Or yet maybe someone's done this before with other devices.

Just thought I'd throw it out there, as I'm sure others would appreciate being able to do this at times too.

Thanks for your time guys.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

fasthair
Old
(Last edited by fasthair; 4th March 2014 at 11:21 PM.)
Thanks Meter 10
Tapatalk will do what you want. Your N5 and N7 stay in sync over BT or Wi-Fi and is what I use. Funny enough sometimes the text shows up on the N7 first for whatever reason. Nice app.

Edit: I'm sorry I typoed that... the app is tablet talk

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...pdroid.tabtalk
The Following User Says Thank You to fasthair For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

yosmokinman
Old
Thanks Meter 11
I use Mighty Text myself. Works great.
The Following User Says Thank You to yosmokinman For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

charesa39
Old
Thanks Meter 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by yosmokinman View Post
I use Mighty Text myself. Works great.
I've been looking into this app as well. Do you have to use Mighty Text as your primary SMS app on your phone for this to work with your N7? Or would I be able to use this with Hangouts (since that's what I use for my SMS and MMS messages) on my phone?

yosmokinman
Old
Thanks Meter 11
^Pretty sure you can use whatever you want. I never used hangouts just the aosp message app.

The one you install on your phone isn't even an sms app it just links to the tablet app through your google account.

Try it out.
The Following User Says Thank You to yosmokinman For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

charesa39
Old
Thanks Meter 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by yosmokinman View Post
^Pretty sure you can use whatever you want. I never used hangouts just the aosp message app.

The one you install on your phone isn't even an sms app it just links to the tablet app through your google account.

Try it out.
Ah! I see. Thanks for the quick answer. This was the only thing giving me pause about using this app. I'll check it out tonight.

CJD14
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Kick ass guys. Thanks. Way simpler than I imagined.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app