Official TWRP Recovery Lands on Micromax Canvas Magnus

With the recent release of Android One, Micromax and MediaTek released fully buildable … more

Update Overload: SuperSU Heavily Updated

There are apps and apps out there. Very few can reach the level of popularity required to stay at … more

Lollipop Leak Available for the Sprint Galaxy S5

Since the Android 5.0Lollipop’s official release not too long ago, we’ve seen … more

CPU Spy Gets an Android Lollipop Makeover

At some point in the distant past, you probably heard of CPU Spy for Android by XDARetired … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Fix for Nexus 7 2013 (flo) Touchscreen Glitches

OP RandomRanger

5th March 2014, 02:23 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
For a long time now my Nexus 7 2013 (flo) 32gb has had this annoying touchscreen glitch where it will get false readings causing it to push buttons I didn't want to press, zoom when I wanted to scroll, and generally make it unusable unless I rebooted (which on some occasions didn't fix the problem). After doing some research, I found that it seems to be a common enough problem, but there was only one thread that claims to have fixed it. Now, to be honest I didn't try his method, as frankly it looked long, complicated, and I never found the time. Yesterday the thought occurred to me that the screen may actually be picking up real interference, and that it may just simply be to sensitive, so I set about to decrease the sensitivity on the device. To decrease the sensitivity ( THIS REQUIRES ROOT) I used root explorer (you may use any file explorer that can access root files) and went to the folder "/system/usr/idc" and opened the file "touch_dev.idc" in a text editor. In this file I found the line "touch.pressure.scale = 0.0125" and changed the value from 0.0125 to 2.5. I then saved the file and rebooted. Since doing this I have not had the touchscreen glitch, and I have been using the device for a little over 24 hours now. I used to get the glitch about 3 times a day. I will continue to test this config, to see if it actually does fix the problem, but due to the nature of the problem, the only way to know if this fix works, is to use it over a long period of time. I will remove this post if the issue ever returns and I am not able to fix it using a similar method.

Notes:
* the directory is "/system/usr/idc/touch_dev.idc"
* increase the value of "touch.pressure.scale" to decrease the screen sensitivity
* make sure you have write privileges (in root explorer, don't forget to hit the R/W button before opening the .idc file in a text editor)
* don't forget to save the file
* after saving the file, reopen it to make sure the change took place, if it didn't make sure you have write privileges and actually saved it
* don't forget to reboot for the changes to apply (I'm not sure if its necessary, but am willing to bet that it is)
* this should work with other versions of the nexus 7 flo, not just the 32gb
* I am not liable for any damages caused to your device (you should know this by now)
*I have only tested this on one device, as it is the only one I have access to with this problem
* If this fix works for you, please let me know below, feedback is appreciated

* I didn't return the device, simply because I lost the receipt, and don't know if the warranty is still in place

Edit:
This does not work, after more testing issues returned. But I will continue to try different values to see if this can fix the problem.
Last edited by RandomRanger; 6th March 2014 at 01:15 AM. Reason: disproved
5th March 2014, 10:18 PM   |  #2  
Flag Skopje
Thanks Meter: 14

71 posts
More
6th March 2014, 02:57 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 15

95 posts
Don't bother adjusting any further, it's a very well known problem and has nothing to do with this, put it back to it's default and then use the fix mentioned in this forum, (the software touchscreen driver fix). It's simple, takes about 5 mins, doesn't require root and actually works. TS10 solved 99% of my problems, which were pretty severe before.
6th March 2014, 03:15 AM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member

2 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solaris81

Don't bother adjusting any further, it's a very well known problem and has nothing to do with this, put it back to it's default and then use the fix mentioned in this forum, (the software touchscreen driver fix). It's simple, takes about 5 mins, doesn't require root and actually works. TS10 solved 99% of my problems, which were pretty severe before.

Ok, yeah I'll have to do that. I posted this a bit early, as I was seeing positive results at first and got excited. Thanks.
6th March 2014, 05:15 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 148

437 posts
More
yes, there are 3 different fixes posted, ts10, ts20 and ts30.....and there are a couple of others in that thread too. I found the experiment ts18 worked best for me. ts10 was an improvement, ts20 better, and and ts30 too sensitive. after sticking with ts20 I decided to try the additional ones and so far 18 is best for me.

try the 3 main ones....and use the one that works best......if you still see little bugs in it, then try the experimental ones closest the 10 or 20 or 30 that worked best for you. I feel like I have a brand new device since running this fix on mine. You don't have to be rooted, but you do have to be unlocked.

I have a wifi 32 gb model manufactured Sept 2013
6th March 2014, 05:57 AM   |  #6  
Flag lancaster
Thanks Meter: 400

1,715 posts
Donate to Me
More
Question, I originally bought a n7 lte (deb) in November 2013. Don't know manufacture date. Had to return for hardware failure in the touchscreen and the replacement was manufactured in November 2013. So far I have not seen the same touchscreen issues I had with my original (ghost touches, touches not registering etc). Should I try to use the fix in that thread or leave well enough alone? Tia
6th March 2014, 03:47 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 148

437 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pre4speed

Question, I originally bought a n7 lte (deb) in November 2013. Don't know manufacture date. Had to return for hardware failure in the touchscreen and the replacement was manufactured in November 2013. So far I have not seen the same touchscreen issues I had with my original (ghost touches, touches not registering etc). Should I try to use the fix in that thread or leave well enough alone? Tia

Well that's really up to you. If it works fine then you don't need a fix.... But if there are glitches.... Well you know where to get a fix.
The Following User Says Thank You to 318sugarhill For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th March 2014, 05:13 PM   |  #8  
Retired Senior Moderator
Flag NSA Black Site Whiskey Tango Foxtrot One Niner
Thanks Meter: 1,348

2,461 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solaris81

Okay, but you do know there are SEVERAL different issues with the touchscreen & that thread only will fix (partially fix as everyone I know that has tried it, still has occasional issues) one of three or more issues. There is also a grounding issue, that your reference WILL NOT FIX. There are also issues with the ribbon cable placement, which was my issue & several others, which requires opening the case & either reattaching the cable or reinforcing the connection at the terminal, which fixed mine & a few others. Just saying, I wouldn't blindly state that "this fix" will solve all your issues.
6th March 2014, 07:19 PM   |  #9  
Flag Manchester
Thanks Meter: 46

125 posts
can anyone provide a flashable patch to try? Thanks
9th April 2014, 10:27 AM   |  #10  
Flag Singapore

4 posts
More
This problem is starting to annoy me really badly D:

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread