Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,971 Members 44,242 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Trouble with screen auto rotate when rooted, or rooted ROM ?

Tip us?

paulcc
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Trouble with screen auto rotate when rooted, or rooted ROM ?

Hello, I have just wasted about a day of my time on this issue.

Problem:
When I root my S4, running Kitkat, or load custom Kitkat ROM - wanamlite in my case, then the auto rotate screen feature stops working.
The problem is not in the HW - the camera app, which rotates labels on the screen based on orientation - kept working through all the trouble.

Details:
- I decided to root my S4, mainly to be able to install xposed/xprivacy and Titanium Backup
- first, I rooted the stock ROM, using the chainfire method. Worked fine
- I did not install custom recovery at this point
- removed few modules in TB
- noticed that the screen auto rotate stopped working
- restored the removed modules in TB, auto rotate still not working
- installed TWRP and Wanamlite. Screen rotation first worked, but after some time ( and my guess is after few reboots ), screen auto rotate failed again.

I was unable to fix this, so I had to go back to stock ROM ( Swiss FNB9 ), to get the phone working again.

Searching on Google, it seems that few of the Samsung devices have this problem of screen auto-rotation not working after rooting....

Before I try rooting again, is this a known problem ? Any fix with a high degree of reliability ?

Thanks for any info, Paul.

Repulsa
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1887

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulcc View Post
Hello, I have just wasted about a day of my time on this issue.

Problem:
When I root my S4, running Kitkat, or load custom Kitkat ROM - wanamlite in my case, then the auto rotate screen feature stops working.
The problem is not in the HW - the camera app, which rotates labels on the screen based on orientation - kept working through all the trouble.

Details:
- I decided to root my S4, mainly to be able to install xposed/xprivacy and Titanium Backup
- first, I rooted the stock ROM, using the chainfire method. Worked fine
- I did not install custom recovery at this point
- removed few modules in TB
- noticed that the screen auto rotate stopped working
- restored the removed modules in TB, auto rotate still not working
- installed TWRP and Wanamlite. Screen rotation first worked, but after some time ( and my guess is after few reboots ), screen auto rotate failed again.

I was unable to fix this, so I had to go back to stock ROM ( Swiss FNB9 ), to get the phone working again.

Searching on Google, it seems that few of the Samsung devices have this problem of screen auto-rotation not working after rooting....

Before I try rooting again, is this a known problem ? Any fix with a high degree of reliability ?

Thanks for any info, Paul.
download and flash libgnustl_shared.so via recovery. Or if your phone is rooted , Copy and paste to System>>lib and change permission to rw-r--r-- . Reboot . Have a nice day.

Quote:
That awkward moment when you're reading this comment and can't stop reading because you are so intrigued by it,that you keep reading,and then you realize it says nothing important.

Disclaimer "Proceed with extreme caution as i take no responsibility for any damages to your phone. Do it at your own Risk"

All 4.4.2 GT-I9505 Modem / LTE / Bootloader

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Repulsa For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jupkeyope
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repulsa View Post
download and flash libgnustl_shared.so via recovery. Or if your phone is rooted , Copy and paste to System>>lib and change permission to rw-r--r-- . Reboot . Have a nice day.
Wow, very much appreciated! This worked perfectly for my S4 with KitKat.

Today I noticed my auto screen rotation stopped. I googled around, tried many work-arounds, but none of them helped. A hard reset didn't work, a soft reset didn't work, Bluetooth/GPS/WiFi off didn't help, calibration using an app didn't work, etc.

I rooted my phone (as I had before, but because of the hard reset I had to root it again), installed Root Explorer, and put the libgnustl_shared.so file in the System/lib folder (while mounted R/W). I rebooted and BAM! Auto screen rotation was back again!

Repulsa
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1887

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by jupkeyope View Post
Wow, very much appreciated! This worked perfectly for my S4 with KitKat.

Today I noticed my auto screen rotation stopped. I googled around, tried many work-arounds, but none of them helped. A hard reset didn't work, a soft reset didn't work, Bluetooth/GPS/WiFi off didn't help, calibration using an app didn't work, etc.

I rooted my phone (as I had before, but because of the hard reset I had to root it again), installed Root Explorer, and put the libgnustl_shared.so file in the System/lib folder (while mounted R/W). I rebooted and BAM! Auto screen rotation was back again!
Glad that fixed your issue mate Have a nice day.

Quote:
That awkward moment when you're reading this comment and can't stop reading because you are so intrigued by it,that you keep reading,and then you realize it says nothing important.

Disclaimer "Proceed with extreme caution as i take no responsibility for any damages to your phone. Do it at your own Risk"

All 4.4.2 GT-I9505 Modem / LTE / Bootloader

gekkehenkie11
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
That fixed it indeed !! Thanks man ! I had problems pasting the file into that directory but the "root browser" app from the play store could paste it. Then changed permissions, rebooted and ... back is screen rotation !!! Thanks !!

---------- Post added at 04:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:58 AM ----------

BTW, so it seems the problem is that when you uninstall samsung HUB (which I indeed did), it removes that particular file. See: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=49604191

jasnievski
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
this solves the problem of the motion sensor? My s4 stopped working screen rotation and motion sensor ... stopped after uninstalled some apps by TB

jasnievski
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default sensor motion

its solve

aylanc3
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Hi, Besides hitting the THANKS button, I would like to give following information for other users:

I have PhilzTouch installed and tried to flash the zip file severel times, But everytime after wiping cache part. and dalvik I noticed that nothing changed.
So I did the copy/paste action as described and after rebooting it worked.

aghomri
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Hi All,

I had the same issue when i rooted my device, and lost the rotation and use the method described here to fix the issue.

But after reboot the phone it will keep popping the message " Unfortunately, Samsung Hub has stopped" and it won't go away or let me do anything on the phone, as soon as i hit the OK button it will popup again.

Any possible fix for that, Please !!!

Thank you all.

Roots_22
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default In English, please...

Quote:
Can someone help me with this, please... I have no idea what this means.

1) I downloaded the file

2) The instructions say to move the libgnustl_shared.so file into System>>Lib. When I download the file, libgnustl_shared.so is already in a folder called System>Lib...

3) Someone else said to FLASH via recover or something?? What does that mean? Can someone explain this in straightfoward terms? Thank you.