Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,773 Members 52,037 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] How to recover photos from memory stick?

Tip us?

mining
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] How to recover photos from memory stick?

I accustomed to storing their audio or video file like photos into a mini memory stick. However, how can we recover them once lost? What can I do ? Any software like Power Data Recovery?? 3Q for your advice.

GoodDayToDie
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2678
Wait, what does this have to do with Win8? I'm confused (or maybe you are)...

Assuming "memory stick" (whatever the <REDACTED> that is) exposes itself as a standard block-storage device, you can probably use whatever recovery tools you're used to... no guarantee they'll work, though.
Win8/Windows RT projects:
List of desktop apps for hacked RT devices

WP8 projects:
Native Access WebServer and Libraries
WP8 Interop Unlocks
Storage Cleanup tool

WP7 projects:
XapHandler, Root Webserver, OEM Marketplace XAPs, Bookmarklets collection (Find On Page), Interop-unlock hacks.

Do not private message me with questions that should have been posted on the forum! Not only are you wasting your time - I'm not going to bother writing an answer to such a question for only one person - but I will probably block you from PMing me in the future as well.

cha91
Old
Thanks Meter 5
I've had a positive experience using MiniTool Power Data Recovery.
It worked wonders on a flash disk that apparently lost its data, but with this software I could recover most of them, although with very ugly file names.
There are 4 options which can be confusing but I've mostly used Digital Media Recovery and Undelete Recovery.

For non media files, the result wasn't so great but I recovered some files from an almost defective SD card.
The Following User Says Thank You to cha91 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

pHaZic
Old
Thanks Meter 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by cha91 View Post
I've had a positive experience using MiniTool Power Data Recovery
Well, what can i say but thank you so much!

Had the same problem and all the pictures of my holiday were gone.

With kind regards, Basti

cha91
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by pHaZic View Post
Well, what can i say but thank you so much!

Had the same problem and all the pictures of my holiday were gone.

With kind regards, Basti
You're welcome! I'm glad it helped.
I had the same problem a while ago so now I recommend this software
Current devices : Maxtron Diamond, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 (GT-P3110), Evercoss A7S
Old devices : HTC EVO 3D (ShooterU), Sony Live with Walkman, Samsung Galaxy Tab

Physiotherapist
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mining View Post
I accustomed to storing their audio or video file like photos into a mini memory stick. However, how can we recover them once lost? What can I do ? Any software like Power Data Recovery?? 3Q for your advice.
yup, any recovery software will do, just defrag first before recovering for best result

SixSixSevenSeven
Old
Thanks Meter 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Physiotherapist View Post
yup, any recovery software will do, just defrag first before recovering for best result
Worst result dont you mean... Recovery software relies on the fact that when deleting a file it is simply removed from the file table but the data itself is still present. Defragging will move files around and will now believe where your file previously existed is now unallocated space and will happily over-write it. For recovery software to work at its best you need to ensure as few changes are made to the file system as physically possible.

GoodDayToDie
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2678
SixSixSevenSeven is correct. Leaving aside the fact that defragging a flash storage device (like a memory stick, SD card, SSD, CompactFlash, etc.) is a terrible idea in general*, it will drastically reduce your chances of being able to recover any data at all. If you have already done a defrag, the odds are very good that your data is now unrecoverable.

* Win7 and up know not to actually defrag Flash-based storage, but what they do instead - called TRIM, and intended to optimize the storage - is almost as bad for purposes of data recovery. TRIM tells the "disk" that the physical memory cells which were storing the data of deleted files are no longer needed, which typically has the effect of zeroing the data.
Win8/Windows RT projects:
List of desktop apps for hacked RT devices

WP8 projects:
Native Access WebServer and Libraries
WP8 Interop Unlocks
Storage Cleanup tool

WP7 projects:
XapHandler, Root Webserver, OEM Marketplace XAPs, Bookmarklets collection (Find On Page), Interop-unlock hacks.

Do not private message me with questions that should have been posted on the forum! Not only are you wasting your time - I'm not going to bother writing an answer to such a question for only one person - but I will probably block you from PMing me in the future as well.