FORUMS

AOSP 5.1 Lollipop for Nexus Q

Google Nexus Q is an intriguing device released with Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. It was abandoned by … more

XDA Picks: Best Apps of the Week (Apr 17 – 24)

Apps are at the front and center of any smartphone experience, and with over a … more

Glimpse Notifications: Easier Lockscreen Notifications

Lollipop brought a revamp to the lockscreen, taking away custom widgets but … more

What Are the Best Looking Apps on Android?

As more developers are updating their apps with Material Design elements, we’re … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

LG Optimus G Pro Screen Replacement Repair Guide

21st June 2013, 08:58 PM |#1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 773

More
Need to take apart your LG Optimus G Pro to perform a screen repair? This step-by-step tutorial demonstrates how to properly disassemble your Optimus G Pro to all you to install the following replacement parts.
  • LG Optimus G Pro Touch Screen Digitizer Replacement
  • LG Optimus G Pro LCD Screen Replacement

Recommended Repair Tools:
  • Safe Opening Pry Tool
  • Small Phillips Screwdriver
  • Adhesive Strips (Used for touch screen / screen assembly replacements)
  • Heat Gun/Hair Dryer (Used to warm and release adhesive)

Optimus G Pro Tear Down Guide:

Before you begin you must make sure to power off your device completely.

To start you will need to remove the back cover of the device as well as the battery, sim card, and Micro-SD card.
Next step you will need to remove the 14 Small Phillips Screws (#00) securing the back housing to the device.
Once those screws have been removed you can take your safe open pry tool to release the clips holding the back housing to the mid-frame. (work your way around the housing being careful not to break any of the clips)
Once the back housing has been removed you can now begin to release the 4 pop connectors and antenna cable as shown in the figure below.
You will also need to release the rear camera from the housing using your plastic pry tool (Be careful not to rip or tear the attached flex cable.)

See figure below for screw and flex cable locations.

After all the appropriate connections have been released you can now carefully remove the motherboard from the device.
Be cautious as the motherboard is slightly fastened in the housing with a small clip that could potentially damaged the small and narrow portion of the motherboard.

See below figure for reference

Now that you have safely removed the motherboard you can now begin removing the last few necessary components to start the screen removal process.

First you will need to lift up the touch screen digitizer's flex cable and remove the ear speaker (both are held with a little adhesive)
Next you can take your plastic pry tool to gently pry up the lower USB port / soft key assembly and remove it from the device.
You will now be able to begin applying heat to the screen assembly to be able to remove the LCD and touch screen digitizer.
Using your heat source on a medium setting you will want to evenly apply heat to all outer edges of the screen for 30-45 second intervals.
Be cautious not to hover over and flex ribbons that you may need to reuse for re-assembly.

See below figure for reference

Notice: This LG Optimus G Pro repair guide is for informational and learning purposes only. Perform this repair at your own risk.
Last edited by repairsuniverse; 21st June 2013 at 09:24 PM.
The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to repairsuniverse For This Useful Post: [ View ]

22nd June 2013, 04:44 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 16

More
Thanks for the great tutorial!!!!
Just hope I never have to use it ;p

Sent from my LG-F240L using xda app-developers app
22nd June 2013, 08:28 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by st1114g

Thanks for the great tutorial!!!!
Just hope I never have to use it ;p

Sent from my LG-F240L using xda app-developers app

You are very welcome!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to repairsuniverse For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th June 2013, 05:25 PM |#4  
Flag Henderson
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Do you have to completely remove the rear camera? it looks like you just popped it out of the slot in the frame? Thanks again!
24th June 2013, 05:33 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepshort

Do you have to completely remove the rear camera? it looks like you just popped it out of the slot in the frame? Thanks again!

Nope, just take your pry tool and gently lift it up from the right side. Just be careful not to tear the connector located on it's left.
24th June 2013, 05:47 PM |#6  
Flag Henderson

More
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by repairsuniverse

Nope, just take your pry tool and gently lift it up from the right side. Just be careful not to tear the connector located on it's left.

Cool Thank!
27th June 2013, 10:21 PM |#7  

More
Do you have to replace the digitizer as well? I am buying a G Pro with a cracked glass, but the digitizer and LCD still work. Is it possible to keep the digitizer intact, or will I have to replace both the glass and the digitizer? Thanks!
27th June 2013, 10:38 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiszack

Do you have to replace the digitizer as well? I am buying a G Pro with a cracked glass, but the digitizer and LCD still work. Is it possible to keep the digitizer intact, or will I have to replace both the glass and the digitizer? Thanks!

The "digitizer" and touch screen are the same. All of the keywords can be confusing at times I know. If the phone you are buying has cracked glass then you would need to replace the "touch screen digitizer" For example:

The Following User Says Thank You to repairsuniverse For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th June 2013, 06:36 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 119

Donate to Me
More
I got a question
On my screen attached what is in the yellow circle ?

On my phone is Not at the Same place of the photos and there's a hole on my case but not on the back panel of my phone
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-06-28-18-31-46.jpg
Views:	1288
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	2076748   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-06-28-18-25-15-1.jpg
Views:	1338
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	2076749  
The Following User Says Thank You to smaybe For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th June 2013, 07:14 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by smaybe

I got a question
On my screen attached what is in the yellow circle ?

On my phone is Not at the Same place of the photos and there's a hole on my case but not on the back panel of my phone

What exact model do you have? This repair guide is based off of the Optimus G Pro E980 and the circle you are referencing to is actually a water sensor. On the stock back cover this slot is not exposed.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
lg optimus g pro, optimus g pro digitizer, optimus g pro lcd screen, optimus g pro repair, optimus g pro screen replacement
Previous Thread Next Thread