Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,906 Members 42,999 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Best method of blocking ads?

Tip us?

Veraster
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] Best method of blocking ads?

What is the best method of blocking ads on the RAZR i? I'm running InfiniROM which is based on JB 4.1.2.
Adblockplus was the BEST on my old Android 2.3 phone. On my RAZR i, I'm rooted and everything but it isn't functioning the way it should on my rooted device.
AdAway sort of works. My complaint is that it doesn't block 100% of the ads and when it DOES block them, there is a box saying "cannot display this webpage" in place of where the ad would be.
It this the best it gets until they compile adblockplus to work on x86 android devices or is there something I don't know about?

yekollu
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veraster View Post
What is the best method of blocking ads on the RAZR i? I'm running InfiniROM which is based on JB 4.1.2.
Adblockplus was the BEST on my old Android 2.3 phone. On my RAZR i, I'm rooted and everything but it isn't functioning the way it should on my rooted device.
AdAway sort of works. My complaint is that it doesn't block 100% of the ads and when it DOES block them, there is a box saying "cannot display this webpage" in place of where the ad would be.
It this the best it gets until they compile adblockplus to work on x86 android devices or is there something I don't know about?
or just stop watching P*rn on your phone
The Following User Says Thank You to yekollu For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

highflights
Old
Thanks Meter 7

DONATE TO ME
Try Lucky Patcher
U can edit app permittions and remove ads.
U not gonna find it in appstore just Google it.
Good luck

Sent from my XT890 using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to highflights For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

AtrX
Old
Thanks Meter 51
You can use Adblock aswell

Veraster
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by highflights View Post
Try Lucky Patcher
U can edit app permittions and remove ads.
U not gonna find it in appstore just Google it.
Good luck

Thanks. I've had Lucky Patcher all this time and I didn't know it could block ads. It replaced AdAway's ~700kb hosts file with a beefy 1.3MB hosts file. It doesn't work as well as adblock but it's the best solution so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtrX View Post
You can use Adblock aswell

Are you talking about the one on adblockplus.org? Man, I really wish that would work. It currently doesn't work on x86 androids (the root functions don't work) and it probably never will.
The adblockplus android team is too busy keeping up with the newer JB updates. They're probably not going to bother to fix their app for the couple thousand or less RAZR i users when they've got millions of other users to fix other issues for.

shaftenberg
Old
Thanks Meter 696
Why not use Adfree? Works like a charm.

arman68
Old
Thanks Meter 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veraster View Post
In adaway, enable the webserver.

Veraster
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
I took all the default hosts files from AdAway, the hosts file that Lucky Patcher provides and another anti ad hosts file that I had and merged them all into one using the Linux terminal. I also deleted the duplicate lines with the terminal. This gave me an ~8.6MB hosts file.
There are sometimes boxes that say "could not display this webpage" just like there is with Adaway and Adfree. It's just that with this hosts file, less of them actually get through. I'm happy with this solution.
If someone wants to test it, use a root file explorer, backup the original hosts file, put this in the original hosts file's place, give this new file the same permissions as the original one and then restart.
Attached Files
File Type: rar hosts.rar - [Click for QR Code] (1.56 MB, 70 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to Veraster For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

MWO137
Old
Thanks Meter 2
This post is almost a year old now, can you maybe merge the updated hosts with the newer MoAB thread file (unless its the same thing?)

Lucki_X
Old
Thanks Meter 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWO137 View Post
This post is almost a year old now, can you maybe merge the updated hosts with the newer MoAB thread file (unless its the same thing?)
Unzip and use the hosts file from this thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1916098 . It works great.