Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,276 Members 38,330 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] side loaded apps dissapear after 5 minutes

Tip us?

delboydell
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Default [Q] side loaded apps dissapear after 5 minutes

as title, I have just installed wondershare on my pc and sideloaded mx player, angry birds and a couple of other apk files. my watch and phone (s4) are both stock unrooted and running the latest gear manager and watch software.
now after about 5 minutes I get a notification on the gear that it has disconnected from the phone and the sideloaded apks have gone. they still show up on wondershare but have to be uninstalled and reinstalled to show on the gear.
The installed apps work fine after installing them, and I didnt I have this issue when I 1st played with it at Christmas on my wondershare trial , but the trail ran out and I updated things.
So is this a problem with the gear manager software? or the gear itself? or me?
Galaxy s4 .+. Parrot asteroid smart .+.Galaxy Gear

Brendo
Old
Thanks Meter 519

DONATE TO ME
Use an older version of gear manager

_____
Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 i7310
Samsung Galaxy S IV (i9505) | 16GB
[ROM: Stock KK 4.4.2 | XXUFNC9 | MODEM GSM/LTE: XXUEML4/XXUFMC9 | BL: PRE-KNOX | K: ADAM | RECOVERY: PhilZ]
DOMINATION | XPOSED

OTHER DEVICES:

Google Nexus 5 | 32GB
Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 (P7310) | 32Gb
[ROM: CM10.2 | CPU: 1.4ghz]
Samsung Galaxy TabPro 10.1 LTE (T525) | 16Gb

Pebble (Kickstarter)
Galaxy Gear (Null_)
Gear Live ()
Google Glass (Explorer)

--------
My Android Downloads

willcor
Old
(Last edited by willcor; 12th February 2014 at 09:53 AM.) Reason: add info
Thanks Meter 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by delboydell View Post
as title, I have just installed wondershare on my pc and sideloaded mx player, angry birds and a couple of other apk files. my watch and phone (s4) are both stock unrooted and running the latest gear manager and watch software.
now after about 5 minutes I get a notification on the gear that it has disconnected from the phone and the sideloaded apks have gone. they still show up on wondershare but have to be uninstalled and reinstalled to show on the gear.
The installed apps work fine after installing them, and I didnt I have this issue when I 1st played with it at Christmas on my wondershare trial , but the trail ran out and I updated things.
So is this a problem with the gear manager software? or the gear itself? or me?
hi ,
first ,it is not a Wondershare "problem "but i think its just "Sammy" that not to happy to let us sideload on Gear ??
As this issue with apps, worked 100% on previous rom and Gear Manager software untill a" few " versions" back .
yes ,i have same problem ( using rom NA6 and Gear Manager v1.6.132701 )
but it does not worry me ,as i know apps are working ..etc
i use a workaround , Thus having benefits of latest software /ROM and gear manager (unless its really buggy )
if you want to ,all you have to do is reboot Gear and if you look in 'apps 'section on your Gear ,
all your sideloaded apps should show ( before they evenually disappear from "apps " section.)
i launch each app once and close it straight away .( the reason is that it is in memory of recent use app )
if i need to launch a sideloaded app i tap screen with 2 fingers on screen , and hold to bring up all recent used apps and select relevant app ?
(No need to reinstall etc .)
also yes,
you should get it right, with previous version of Gear manager
but you would have to go back 2 ..3 versions mabe to vers .1.5......?
(but you are going to lose other" improved benefits eg. like better bluetooth stability between phone and Gear ? etc.
just an alternative suggestion if you interested

Killerheels
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Previous posters solution works however.....I have experienced the same issue tonight after the most recent upgrade to Gear software. Rebooting worked also. My fault as I wanted to restore to factory settings to remove QuickTwit from Notifications (a bug). The upgrade did offer a restore which I didn't take D'Oh!! I then did a restore via Wondershare.

I found that the approved Samsung apps like eBay for Gear and RadiOn although restored to the Gear via Wondershare had to be installed to Gear Manager by installing the apps from scratch.

Now all the apps don't disappear after 5 mins. Co-Incidence?

However, they do not appear on the list of downloaded apps, as they did with the previous version of Gear Manager.

Do also make sure the 3rd party app permissions box is ticked on the Gear Manager too.

delboydell
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by willcor View Post
hi ,
first ,it is not a Wondershare "problem "but i think its just "Sammy" that not to happy to let us sideload on Gear ??
As this issue with apps, worked 100% on previous rom and Gear Manager software untill a" few " versions" back .
yes ,i have same problem ( using rom NA6 and Gear Manager v1.6.132701 )
but it does not worry me ,as i know apps are working ..etc
i use a workaround , Thus having benefits of latest software /ROM and gear manager (unless its really buggy )
if you want to ,all you have to do is reboot Gear and if you look in 'apps 'section on your Gear ,
all your sideloaded apps should show ( before they evenually disappear from "apps " section.)
i launch each app once and close it straight away .( the reason is that it is in memory of recent use app )
if i need to launch a sideloaded app i tap screen with 2 fingers on screen , and hold to bring up all recent used apps and select relevant app ?
(No need to reinstall etc .)
also yes,
you should get it right, with previous version of Gear manager
but you would have to go back 2 ..3 versions mabe to vers .1.5......?
(but you are going to lose other" improved benefits eg. like better bluetooth stability between phone and Gear ? etc.
just an alternative suggestion if you interested
thanks for the reply, however your method does not work for me, after a reboot of the watch the sideloaded apps are not there??
looks like I am going to have to root the watch.
Galaxy s4 .+. Parrot asteroid smart .+.Galaxy Gear

Killerheels
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by delboydell View Post
thanks for the reply, however your method does not work for me, after a reboot of the watch the sideloaded apps are not there??
looks like I am going to have to root the watch.
Did you make sure the 3rd party app permissions box is ticked on the Gear Manager too?

noxo
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Going back from Gear Manager v1.6 to v1.5 fixed issue for me. There's a nice collection of Gear Managers in this page:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2593066

I hope it was just a bug in Gear Manager v1.6, and Samsung is not really trying to prevent sideloading.