Audio Z1 Compact audio quality, post your impressions

OP vboechat

5th February 2014, 08:31 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

13 posts
Hello..

this is my first post and I really want to read some audio/sound quality of this device thru headphones. I read some reviews, but none discuss this very important spec. Only gsmarena, but their audio reviews seems to be suspect.

So, how do you guys like the sound quality on z1 compact? Is it any good? Got any comparsions with other phones?

Thanks
6th February 2014, 12:27 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 23

66 posts
More
Sony EQ does not work with Google Play music
Audio quality is very good Only with Sony walkman app.I surely hope this isn't an attempt to force users to use Sony walkman app for music listening, we should have the choice, right?
6th February 2014, 10:29 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 142

580 posts
More
You can also change the settings in the sound menu.

However after some tests.it looks like this only affects the Walkman apps. The sound output in speaker, headset and bluetooth is noticeably worse in anything else other than the Walkman app. That's not on sony!

Sent from my D5503 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
7th February 2014, 02:16 PM   |  #4  

580 posts
More
Why do you keep just copy and pasting random statements from websites?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GR36 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th February 2014, 08:46 PM   |  #5  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 162

243 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by GR36

Why do you keep just copy and pasting random statements from websites?

Perhaps the keys below are the only ones that work on the keyboard?
Ctrl C
Ctrl V

Hehe!

---------- Post added at 07:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:25 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by vboechat

Hello..

this is my first post and I really want to read some audio/sound quality of this device thru headphones. I read some reviews, but none discuss this very important spec. Only gsmarena, but their audio reviews seems to be suspect.

So, how do you guys like the sound quality on z1 compact? Is it any good? Got any comparsions with other phones?

Thanks

I'm pretty much delighted with my compact - fast, actually phone sized (I HATE these stupid 5" plus "phones"), and good looking!
Downsides:
1. The glass back.... why? It's completely unnecessary, and I'm sure it scratches just looking at it....
2. (some of...) The dev forum posts appear to be populated by bumptious arrogant folks who think their s#1t doesn't stink.
3. The audio is lacking - I'm an audiophile, and am really quite disappointed. The walkman app is rubbish, and the "sound effects, equaliser etc" are truly rubbish.

To get the best from the compact:
Buy PowerAmp.
Take your music collection and run it through Foobar2000 http://www.foobar2000.org/
Apply ReplayGain tags to your tracks. Check this: http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index....tle=Replaygain
Search for applying replygain using foobar2000 for some good guides
In poweramp settings, audio, ReplayGain: Set Apply Gain, By track, Set to +6dB
If you are rooted, install xposed framework and add xVolume30 module (allows 45 step volume control) - this doesn't increase volume, but gives finer control)
Make sure you have a decent pair of IEM's (for advice, feel free to PM me (actually, if you want to know more about any of the above, PM me!)

Last edited by nelvinchi; 7th February 2014 at 09:28 PM. Reason: added another downside of the Z1 compact
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nelvinchi For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th February 2014, 10:09 PM   |  #6  
Flag Ridderkerk
Thanks Meter: 4

8 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelvinchi

I'm pretty much delighted with my compact - fast, actually phone sized (I HATE these stupid 5" plus "phones"), and good looking!

So am I (and so do I). Btw good advice on the "get the best from the compact" If one would want that, its very helpful indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vboechat

this is my first post and I really want to read some audio/sound quality of this device thru headphones

As for the sound: I'm not a audiophile or whatever, and do not have much music-through-headphone-experience, but I listen music a lot, and I think it's great.
My previous phone was a Razr, which had terrible sound. In everything.
Now I have Sony phone, use the Sony music app, and have Sony headphones (the one that came with when preordered, MDR-10rc) and I just love it. But who am I
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to p2dr For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th February 2014, 09:25 AM   |  #7  

580 posts
More
I asked sony centre about the sound as well and emailed support. The guys in the shop told me that they do it purposely to sell sent blue tooth stuff.

Support told me that I had to update my device. I told them it's on the latest. So they told me it's the apps fault. Told them to stick there half arsed device and returned it.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
10th February 2014, 11:26 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 48

277 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelvinchi

Perhaps the keys below are the only ones that work on the keyboard?
Ctrl C
Ctrl V

Hehe!

---------- Post added at 07:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:25 PM ----------

Downsides:
1. The glass back.... why? It's completely unnecessary, and I'm sure it scratches just looking at it....
2. (some of...) The dev forum posts appear to be populated by bumptious arrogant folks who think their s#1t doesn't stink.
3. The audio is lacking - I'm an audiophile, and am really quite disappointed. The walkman app is rubbish, and the "sound effects, equaliser etc" are truly rubbish.

To get the best from the compact:
Buy PowerAmp.
Take your music collection and run it through Foobar2000 http://www.foobar2000.org/
Apply ReplayGain tags to your tracks. Check this: http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index....tle=Replaygain
Search for applying replygain using foobar2000 for some good guides
In poweramp settings, audio, ReplayGain: Set Apply Gain, By track, Set to +6dB
If you are rooted, install xposed framework and add xVolume30 module (allows 45 step volume control) - this doesn't increase volume, but gives finer control)
Make sure you have a decent pair of IEM's (for advice, feel free to PM me (actually, if you want to know more about any of the above, PM me!)

I actually have to disagree, I'v been using power amp on any phone I've owned pretty much. But on my Z, I'm using Walkman, the sound quality is great, a little more volume than power amp was giving. And smoother UI. Only thing I'd say I miss I being able to remove music directly from the player. But it might be different for the z1c Idk.
18th February 2014, 08:02 PM   |  #9  
Flag Staffs
Thanks Meter: 26

289 posts
I've tried a number of apps but sadly the sound quality is the same through all of them, not the best

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk
18th February 2014, 08:27 PM   |  #10  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 162

243 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos0x

I've tried a number of apps but sadly the sound quality is the same through all of them, not the best

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

I'm on a train on way home from work.... listening to (proper) Techno by my good friend Richie Hawtin: mp3 256kbps @ 44.1kHz w/ Replaygain tags, via PowerAmp, on a pair of Klipsch x10's
Freakin Sweeeeeeet!
What IEM's/headphones are you using?

*Note - if anyone wants help or advice on headgear/IEM's/headphones, audio encoding or eq setup, let me know and I'll be happy to help.....
For headgear advice, let me know your music preferences (songs, genre etc) and how much you can spend....

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread