Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,037 Members 52,426 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] KF HD 8.9 restored to 8.1.4 but can NOT get back to 8.4.6

Tip us?

Anchorman42
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] KF HD 8.9 restored to 8.1.4 but can NOT get back to 8.4.6

I have a KFHD8.9 that I have been trying for days to get back to Factory 8.4.6 with OTA enabled.
After hours of reading and searching threads, I haven't found anything that helps.

This is what I have tried:

1. Use KF_SRT_v2.1 option2 to restore the 8.1.4 system.img
2. Flash boot.img and recovery.img
fastboot -i 0x1949 flash boot boot.img
fastboot -i 0x1949 flash recovery recovery.img
3. Erase userdata and cache
4. Reboot the kindle. It comes up fine and in Device > About is shows version 8.1.4
5. Copied update-kindle-8.4.6_4620220.bin to the root of the Internal Storage
6. The Update Your Kindle button remains greyed out.

I have also used KFFirstAide option7 to restore 8.1.4 system, boot, and recovery
and then erased cache and userdata. Again, the Kindle comes up running 8.1.4 but
the Update Your Kindle button remains greyed out

I have also tried the following:
a. KFFA option 22. UnRoot The Kindle - Do This Before Sending Back To Amazon
(This seems to work because the Root Analyzer app shows the Kindle is NOT rooted)
b. KFFA option 19. Enable Amazon OTA Updates
c. Factory reset
d. The Sync button on the Kindle

I am still sitting at 8.1.4 and the Kindle will not update via Sync, nor will the
Update Your Kindle button become active so I can update via the .bin file on the SD Card.

If I ran KFFA Option41. Kindle Fire 2nd-bootloader + TWRP 2.4.4.0 for KFHD 8.9 would I
then be able to flash the 8.4.6 .bin file using TWRP? I seem to remember being able to
use TWRP to reflash the stock Amazon O/S on my original Gen1 Kindle.

I have done this a couple of times with the KFHD7 and the Update Your Kindle button always
activates and runs the .bin file with no problem. Why is the 8.9 Kindle any different?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

K6TJS
Old
Thanks Meter 1
On that version you put it in the kindle update dir. That might not be the exact name since I'm going from memory. On later versions it goes in the root dir. Sorry I just saw you post.

Sent from my KFJWA using XDA Premium HD app
The Following User Says Thank You to K6TJS For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Anchorman42
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by K6TJS View Post
On that version you put it in the kindle update dir. That might not be the exact name since I'm going from memory. On later versions it goes in the root dir. Sorry I just saw you post.

Thank you K6TJS. I can't believe the solution was that simple. And I went back and checked the instructions on the Amazon updates page and for the 8.9" Kindle and it says to put it in the "Internal Storage" (root) folder, and also says "Do not drop the file into any other folder in Internal Storage". Because of that I have spent countless hours and restored this Kindle 5 or 6 times using both KFFA and SRT.

I will be hitting the THANKS button for your help. I wish I could hit it more than once. I wonder why there are so few replies in this Forum any more. People seem to have lost interest...

Anchorman42
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
For the record, having to put the update.bin file into the kindleupdates folder changed somewhere between 8.1.4 and 8.4.6. After I updated to 8.4.6 the kindleupdates folder no longer existed. I put the 8.4.8 update.bin file into the root of Internal Storage and the Update Your Kindle button activated and ran fine.

K6TJS
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Yes and I had same problem with Amazon's instructions. Glad you got it updated.