FORUMS

New Xposed for Lollipop 5.0 Update Fixes Major Bugs

Senior Recognized Developer rovo89 has patched Xposed for Lollipop 5.0 to … more

Download Sony’s new AOSP-like concept for Xperia Z3

Over in our forums, Recognized Contributor Jozinek has posted a very … more

OnePlus 2 vs Moto X Style: Which is The Better Flagship?

Two big industry names have announced their newest flagship phones within the … more

Making Your Own Xposed Modules Is Easier Than You Think

Close to the heart of XDA is the Xposed Framework by Rovo89. Most of … more

Why the 4.4.2 TouchWiz update doesn't have Tap to Pay.

189 posts
Thanks Meter: 105
 
By gakio12, Senior Member on 6th March 2014, 12:57 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
A lot of people are thinking that T-mobile is blocking Tap to Pay on the Note 3 with KitKat. However, it is reported that Tap to Pay works on the T-mobile S4.

T-mobile isn't blocking Tap to Pay; Google simply hasn't integrated the PN-547 chip into Tap to Pay yet. This is why AOSP builds still don't have Tap to Pay. NXP, within the last week, just integrated the PN-547 chip into 4.4, which means it will probably show up in Android 4.4.3.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gakio12 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
 
 
6th March 2014, 02:13 AM |#2  
0ri0n's Avatar
Senior Member
Attleboro, MA
Thanks Meter: 28
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gakio12

A lot of people are thinking that T-mobile is blocking Tap to Pay on the Note 3 with KitKat. However, it is reported that Tap to Pay works on the T-mobile S4.

T-mobile isn't blocking Tap to Pay; Google simply hasn't integrated the PN-547 chip into Tap to Pay yet. This is why AOSP builds still don't have Tap to Pay. NXP, within the last week, just integrated the PN-547 chip into 4.4, which means it will probably show up in Android 4.4.3.

Doesnt the sprint note 3 have the same nfc chip?
6th March 2014, 02:29 AM |#3  
gakio12's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 105
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ri0n

Doesnt the sprint note 3 have the same nfc chip?

I assume yes; does the sprint note 3 tap to pay function on KitKat?
6th March 2014, 02:44 AM |#4  
0ri0n's Avatar
Senior Member
Attleboro, MA
Thanks Meter: 28
 
More
Yup... so there goes that theory.
6th March 2014, 02:44 AM |#5  
Matrixk101's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Tolleson
Thanks Meter: 51
 
More
I was told in store that u need to update to a differnt kinda sim card for tap and pay I think its called a isis sim card l.

Sent from my SM-N900T using xda app-developers app
6th March 2014, 02:51 AM |#6  
parusia's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Houston
Thanks Meter: 316
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrixk101

I was told in store that u need to update to a differnt kinda sim card for tap and pay I think its called a isis sim card l.

Sent from my SM-N900T using xda app-developers app

That is to use Isis method, what the majority of people want is Google wallet method. What happen with Isis is that works only with certain Credit Cards and not with all of them, I think is only with Wells Fargo, certain chase cards, and Amex.

Sent from my SM-T210R using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
6th March 2014, 02:51 AM |#7  
0ri0n's Avatar
Senior Member
Attleboro, MA
Thanks Meter: 28
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrixk101

I was told in store that u need to update to a differnt kinda sim card for tap and pay I think its called a isis sim card l.

Sent from my SM-N900T using xda app-developers app

Thats only if you are going to use ISIS as opposed to GWallet. KitKat is supposed to utilize Host Card Emulation so no secure element or secure sim needed. Its built into android, but it seems right now that TMobile and ATT removed that function to force you to use ISIS since that is what they are backing. I could be wrong, but it doesnt make sense that the Sprint Note 3 uses the same NFC controller and can use tap n pay, but the TMobile and ATT variants cant.
6th March 2014, 03:08 AM |#8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 578
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ri0n

Doesnt the sprint note 3 have the same nfc chip?

No it does not. The Sprint variant uses a different NFC controller (NXP P65) that has both a built-in secure element and implements the FeliCa card emulation standard.

This is why Google Wallet works on it on Android 4.3 and on Android 4.4 (using the old SE-based method, not HCE) but not on any of the other variants.

I helped discover this difference. More info here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2476093

OP is correct - we need to wait for the T-Mobile variant's NFC controller to be supported by KitKat's HCE framework.
Last edited by siraltus; 6th March 2014 at 01:54 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to siraltus For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th March 2014, 04:26 AM |#9  
cmjkxa's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag San diego
Thanks Meter: 88
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by siraltus

No it does not. The Sprint variant uses a different NFC controller that has both a built-in secure element and implements the FeliCa card emulation standard.

This is why Google Wallet worked on Android 4.3 on the Sprint variant but not on any of the other variants.

I helped discover this difference. More info here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2476093

OP is correct - we need to wait for the T-Mobile variant's NFC controller to be supported by KitKat's HCE framework.

I have a question. Will the new S5 have the same NFC chip as the Note 3? This article says it willhttp://nfctimes.com/news/nxp-wins-ba...-embedded-chip. Also the S5 press release said they'd support both Isis and GW here http://www.droid-life.com/2014/02/24...g-this-spring/ I'm just trying to piece this together.
6th March 2014, 12:51 PM |#10  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 578
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjkxa

I have a question. Will the new S5 have the same NFC chip as the Note 3? This article says it willhttp://nfctimes.com/news/nxp-wins-ba...-embedded-chip. Also the S5 press release said they'd support both Isis and GW here http://www.droid-life.com/2014/02/24...g-this-spring/ I'm just trying to piece this together.

No idea, that's up to Samsung. The US variants have the NXP P544 controller, while the international variants have the Broadcom BCM20793 controller (same as used in all the Nexus devices), which is the only chip that KitKat's HCE framework currently supports - this is why phones with the Broadcom chip have Tap-and-Pay while those with the NXP chips don't yet. We need to wait for an update from Google that enables support for the P544 chip in the HCE framework.

The Sprint variant is using the NXP P65, which is a P544 combined with a secure element, which is why Wallet works on it (using the old method, not HCE).
Last edited by siraltus; 6th March 2014 at 01:54 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to siraltus For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th March 2014, 12:59 PM |#11  
tmoney239sucka's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter: 10
 
More
~Deleted~ Somehow I Miss The First Post Lol

Sent from my SM-N900T using xda app-developers app
Last edited by tmoney239sucka; 6th March 2014 at 01:45 PM.

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes