Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,583 Members 40,362 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Pac-Rom + Pink kernel 20140319: WiFi not working: workaround

Tip us?

matttbe
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Default Pac-Rom + Pink kernel 20140319: WiFi not working: workaround

Hello,

Sorry, I have to post this workaround here because I'm new on xda and I can't post an answer on the development forums. So if someone see that, please post a link to this thread on PAC ROM or pink kernel topic

It seems there is a new file in the modules directory which is a symbolic link named wlan.ko. As an easy workaround, simply replace this file (/system/lib/modules/wlan.ko) by this one: /system/lib/modules/pronto/pronto_wlan.ko (move this file to the parent directory and rename it). Then reboot, you should have the WiFi working now

PS: I guess it's maybe better to modify the symlink or load the correct module but it's harder to write command lines with a smartphone
The Following User Says Thank You to matttbe For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

matttbe
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
According to some people, this bug should be fixed now.

Mycroft-Dev
Old
(Last edited by Mycroft-Dev; 22nd March 2014 at 07:58 PM.) Reason: Elaboration
Thanks Meter 33
Arrow Doesn't work!

Sadly, doesn't work on PA/C-RoM.

Edit: Thought I'd elaborate a bit. There's no wlan.ko in /system/lib/modules/, so I just copied the pronto_wlan.ko, renamed it to wlan.ko, repacked it and flashed it.
Did I help you out in any way? I sure hope so! A thank-you will be much appreciated!

Current Device/s:
Moto G XT1033 16GB - LiquidSmooth ROM 3.0 Official Nightly [Daily Driver] | Micromax HD A116 - MIUI v5 | Nokia Lumia 620 (Developer Unlocked) - WP8 GDR3 Update

matttbe
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft-Dev View Post
Sadly, doesn't work on PA/C-RoM.
Did you try the latest nightly version? I no longer have this problem with the latest PAC-ROM (And I think there is a another fix for your XT1033 )

PS: You can also try to just remove the symlink: /system/lib/modules/wlan.ko
The Following User Says Thank You to matttbe For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Mycroft-Dev
Old
(Last edited by Mycroft-Dev; 22nd March 2014 at 08:18 PM.)
Thanks Meter 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by matttbe View Post
Did you try the latest nightly version? I no longer have this problem with the latest PAC-ROM (And I think there is a another fix for your XT1033 )

PS: You can also try to just remove the symlink: /system/lib/modules/wlan.ko
Well, Wi-Fi still refuses to work after removing the symlink!
D'you know any other fixes? Tried lots of stuff, meself, but that is one stubborn bug!

Cheers, mate!
Did I help you out in any way? I sure hope so! A thank-you will be much appreciated!

Current Device/s:
Moto G XT1033 16GB - LiquidSmooth ROM 3.0 Official Nightly [Daily Driver] | Micromax HD A116 - MIUI v5 | Nokia Lumia 620 (Developer Unlocked) - WP8 GDR3 Update

matttbe
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
D'you know any other fixes? Tried lots of stuff, meself, but that is one stubborn bug!
No :-/

Maybe you can try to reinstall the latest nightly version of your rom (released after March 20th -- I think it's the case for C-RoM), reboot and check if the WiFi is working. If yes, don't disable it now then reinstall the latest version of Pink kernel.
But if the WiFi is still not working, it's annoying... You can reformat /system where kernel modules are installed but I think it's automatically done when installing a rom. Maybe they are not using the latest version of the kernel?

matttbe
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Edit: Thought I'd elaborate a bit. There's no wlan.ko in /system/lib/modules/, so I just copied the pronto_wlan.ko, renamed it to wlan.ko, repacked it and flashed it.
What did you mean by saying: "repacked it and flashed it"? If you flash the ROM, it will format and reinstall /system partition (correct me if it's wrong).
When I had this bug, I replaced wlan.ko symlink file by this one: pronto/pronto_wlan.ko. Then I rebooted (or I guess you can use this command if modprobe is available but it's easier to reboot : adb shell "modprobe -r wlan && modprobe wlan").

Mycroft-Dev
Old
Thanks Meter 33
Lightbulb Clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by matttbe View Post
What did you mean by saying: "repacked it and flashed it"? If you flash the ROM, it will format and reinstall /system partition (correct me if it's wrong).
When I had this bug, I replaced wlan.ko symlink file by this one: pronto/pronto_wlan.ko. Then I rebooted (or I guess you can use this command if modprobe is available but it's easier to reboot : adb shell "modprobe -r wlan && modprobe wlan").
As in, I repacked the kernel, and then flashed it.
I'll try tweaking a bit here and there, and let you know how it goes.
And yes, I flashed the latest C-RoM.

Current Device/s: