Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,302 Members 51,653 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Stuck at boot when updating to KK

Tip us?

cvall91
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Stuck at boot when updating to KK

Hello everyone, this is my first post and pretty much a cry for help.

So I'm not new to the whole rooting scene, as I did many things on my old S3, but I'm having a bit of trouble with my note 3.

I had rooted my device about a week after I got it to remove some bloatware. Flashed some ROMs to try out but ended up back on stock firmware which removed root but didn't really care. Tried to update yesterday and got the whole "you're device has been modified" thing. So I rooted again and downloaded xposed installer and that app to fake system to not get that message. Everything seemed fine, got the update and started downloading. Once it finished downloading and tried updating, I got a failed to update message then back to home screen. Went on some forums and read Kies was working for people who had rooted phones. Tested that out and started working. Download went fine, it started updating, all was good. Said update was complete and it was restarting..... Let the fun begin.

About 10 minutes later (I waited this long because I've flashed plenty of ROMs and I know the initial boot can take forever) and it was stuck at Samsung boot logo. On the top left there was a blue message saying "Recovery Rebooting." I restarted again, same thing. Did a battery pull waited a few minutes and still nothing. Wouldn't go into recovery mode, but it did go into download mode. Assumed something was wrong with the recovery so I flashed a custom one. Finally was able to go into recovery so I did factory reset/cache and rebooted. Phone was still stuck at boot logo but this time no blue message. I then found the 4.4.2 KK md5 file online so I flashed that through Odin but same story. Ended up flashing back to stock 4.3 and that's where I'm at now.

Any ideas? Am I stuck without KK forever? The only thing I think there's left to do is go completely stock by removing the Knox counter or whatever that's currently set to 0x1 on my phone. Doing the whole "Triangle away" thing but idk if that'll make a difference.

Sorry for the really long post but I'd prefer to explain everything I've tried so far.

allenjthomsen
Old
Thanks Meter 1173

DONATE TO ME
You might have had a bad download from the odin.tar.md5 file redownload and flash again i have heard other pwople say they had to flash it 2 times for it to take and once u do the update to 4.4.2 you cannot revert back to 4.3

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Techngro
Old
Thanks Meter 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvall91 View Post
Hello everyone, this is my first post and pretty much a cry for help.

So I'm not new to the whole rooting scene, as I did many things on my old S3, but I'm having a bit of trouble with my note 3.

I had rooted my device about a week after I got it to remove some bloatware. Flashed some ROMs to try out but ended up back on stock firmware which removed root but didn't really care. Tried to update yesterday and got the whole "you're device has been modified" thing. So I rooted again and downloaded xposed installer and that app to fake system to not get that message. Everything seemed fine, got the update and started downloading. Once it finished downloading and tried updating, I got a failed to update message then back to home screen. Went on some forums and read Kies was working for people who had rooted phones. Tested that out and started working. Download went fine, it started updating, all was good. Said update was complete and it was restarting..... Let the fun begin.

About 10 minutes later (I waited this long because I've flashed plenty of ROMs and I know the initial boot can take forever) and it was stuck at Samsung boot logo. On the top left there was a blue message saying "Recovery Rebooting." I restarted again, same thing. Did a battery pull waited a few minutes and still nothing. Wouldn't go into recovery mode, but it did go into download mode. Assumed something was wrong with the recovery so I flashed a custom one. Finally was able to go into recovery so I did factory reset/cache and rebooted. Phone was still stuck at boot logo but this time no blue message. I then found the 4.4.2 KK md5 file online so I flashed that through Odin but same story. Ended up flashing back to stock 4.3 and that's where I'm at now.

Any ideas? Am I stuck without KK forever? The only thing I think there's left to do is go completely stock by removing the Knox counter or whatever that's currently set to 0x1 on my phone. Doing the whole "Triangle away" thing but idk if that'll make a difference.

Sorry for the really long post but I'd prefer to explain everything I've tried so far.
I thought rooted phones weren't allowed to update via Kies or OTA.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 SM-900T
Bought on Swappa, Blocked by T-Mobile
Given life again via Chainfire's RegionLock Away
Stock
Hyperdrive KK RLS3.1
Effortless ROM Rev 6

Kindle Fire
ROM: Back to Stock

2006: Samsung A900
2007: Original iPhone
2010: Nokia N900
2010: Moto Cliq
2011: HTC G2
2012: Galaxy S II
2012: Galaxy Note

cvall91
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenjthomsen View Post
You might have had a bad download from the odin.tar.md5 file redownload and flash again i have heard other pwople say they had to flash it 2 times for it to take and once u do the update to 4.4.2 you cannot revert back to 4.3

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
I guess I'll try to download it again and see if that works. Do you know if that's through Kies or through manually downloading it then using Odin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techngro View Post
I thought rooted phones weren't allowed to update via Kies or OTA.
Well it seemed to update for me. At least the verification process went through. I used Wanam Xposed and had the fake system status thing checked. Either way something went wrong and didn't finish the updating process and got stuck at boot logo with no recovery options.

The OTA update did not work though. I was able to get the update downloading after Wanam, but once the download finished, the update failed before trying to install. Did not try OTA again though I just went to Kies, then Odin. But all 3 methods failed.