Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,779,990 Members 37,585 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

nighthawk VPN

Tip us?

calc
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default nighthawk VPN

i recently upgraded my router to a netgear nighthawk, only to find out openvpn does not work with android.

I was using a netgear ddwrt before with pptp and it worked just fine... other than flashing ddwrt to my night hawk is there a way to make the openvpn work with stock firmware.??

gmag11
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default OpenVPN

Hi,

Open VPN does work in Android but not with stock software. You have to use an app like OpenVPN for Android (search for it on the Google Play). I use it to connect home through Tomato firmware on a Netgear router. Works flawlessly. You have to notice that only TUN mode is working on Android.

Regards,
gmag11

Quote:
Originally Posted by calc View Post
i recently upgraded my router to a netgear nighthawk, only to find out openvpn does not work with android.

I was using a netgear ddwrt before with pptp and it worked just fine... other than flashing ddwrt to my night hawk is there a way to make the openvpn work with stock firmware.??

calc
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Not sure what you're talking about "stock'"... but openVPN app does NOT work.

The open vpn on the nighthawk is TAP based, android only supports TUN. This is the whole purpose of my post. Perhaps i should have made that more clear. Any nighthawk owners want to chime in?

gmag11
Old
Thanks Meter 0
With "stock" I mean default Android VPN service.

It it possible to use TAP on Android but there is some (expert) work to do. It is not easy, at least I've tried several times on my SGSII with CM11 without success. The default on Android (and recommended for remote access) is TUN. With TAP routing is easier but it generates more traffic as it is a layer 2 protocol and all broadcast messages (such as ARP) will flow throug VPN.

Here in XDA you can find some info about configuring TAP. But there is not much threads because it is recommended to use TUN.

I'm using a NetGear WNR3500Lv2 router with TOMATO firmware, what is far better than NetGear firmware. You can try it. Search "Tomato by Shibby" on Google to see if you router is supported.

Regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by calc View Post
Not sure what you're talking about "stock'"... but openVPN app does NOT work.

The open vpn on the nighthawk is TAP based, android only supports TUN. This is the whole purpose of my post. Perhaps i should have made that more clear. Any nighthawk owners want to chime in?

coldsteal
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Is there a WiFi, firewall, vpn, router with tap and tun support that i can purchse.

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 07:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:34 PM ----------

I am looking for a one box solution. Need it for a few remote offices.

coldsteal
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Looking at the Cisco tv220w. Any thoughts