Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,779,531 Members 51,117 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

About to make the jump to custom rom

Tip us?
 
ermacwins
Old
#1  
ermacwins's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 673
Posts: 3,792
Join Date: Aug 2009

 
DONATE TO ME
Default About to make the jump to custom rom

So got the gpad and have the urge to flash a custom rom, namely PA rom.

1. Will I be missing any good features from the stock rom? Only thing I can think of now is the remote but no much of a deal breaker.

2. And what is the best way to root?

3. When rooting, does it wipe the device?

Thanks
LG Nexus 4: AOSPAL 4.0 [BETA6] 20140222
Samsung Galaxy SII: AOSP NeatROM v2.8
LG G PAD 8.3: Paranoid Android 4.1 Beta 2
iPad 2


http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...8#post44803298
 
katsika
Old
#2  
katsika's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 52
Posts: 200
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Athens
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermacwins View Post
So got the gpad and have the urge to flash a custom rom, namely PA rom.

1. Will I be missing any good features from the stock rom? Only thing I can think of now is the remote but no much of a deal breaker.

2. And what is the best way to root?

3. When rooting, does it wipe the device?

Thanks
1 you ll be missing the lg apps, lg launcher and some widgets like accuweather's. There is a custom rom that is lg stock based named malladus but it is not updated often i think. Also there is a thread about the lg apps here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2594416, they re being taken from g2's forums and they say that they can be used in gpad but i havent tried them to see if they re working indeed.

2 there are 2 ways for root, kingo root app and dailingrin's method ( http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2553192 ), i strongly recommend you to use dailingrin's as kingoroot is suspected for stealing data from your tablet. Dailingrin's method is clean and uses adb commands.

3 no it doesnt wipe your device, neither installing a custom recovery does, unless you perform a factory reset
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to katsika For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
ermacwins
Old
#3  
ermacwins's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 673
Posts: 3,792
Join Date: Aug 2009

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by katsika View Post
1 you ll be missing the lg apps, lg launcher and some widgets like accuweather's. There is a custom rom that is lg stock based named malladus but it is not updated often i think. Also there is a thread about the lg apps here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2594416, they re being taken from g2's forums and they say that they can be used in gpad but i havent tried them to see if they re working indeed.

2 there are 2 ways for root, kingo root app and dailingrin's method ( http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2553192 ), i strongly recommend you to use dailingrin's as kingoroot is suspected for stealing data from your tablet. Dailingrin's method is clean and uses adb commands.

3 no it doesnt wipe your device, neither installing a custom recovery does, unless you perform a factory reset
Thanks for the prompt reply. Are you using a custom rom?
LG Nexus 4: AOSPAL 4.0 [BETA6] 20140222
Samsung Galaxy SII: AOSP NeatROM v2.8
LG G PAD 8.3: Paranoid Android 4.1 Beta 2
iPad 2


http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...8#post44803298
 
dcaplinger76
Old
#4  
dcaplinger76's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 208
Posts: 1,180
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Oklahoma City
I am, but I am using the LRS G Pad rom that is stock based. If you want to stay like stock then go with that one. If you want a Kit Kat rom there are plenty in the development section that work nicely.

Sent from my SM-N900P using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
 
caudex
Old
#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 28
Posts: 233
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermacwins View Post
So got the gpad and have the urge to flash a custom rom, namely PA rom.

3. When rooting, does it wipe the device?

Thanks
Rooting doesn't wipe the device.
However if you are thinking of going to a non-stock based rom then you are best to full wipe the device.
 
katsika
Old
#6  
katsika's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 52
Posts: 200
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Athens
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermacwins View Post
Thanks for the prompt reply. Are you using a custom rom?
i have cm 11, dont know if it's the best but it's the most popular rom. Gpad became faster in speed with more free ram available and less battery consumption than in stock. Although it is in nightly release state it is quite stable. Only issue that bothers me is that sometimes when i open my tablet it gets like frozen and i cant unlock it. The only way is to hard reset it by holding the power button down and then it boots normally after the reset.
The Following User Says Thank You to katsika For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
RandomChance
Old
#7  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 14
Join Date: Jan 2014
I've flashed Mahdi, CM11, Paranoid Android, and Carbon so far. Of those only Mahdi and CM11 are what I would call fully functional. PA is just about there but it doesn't see the external SD card. All of them make the G Pad feel much faster and smoother than stock. You give up the LG Weather widget and the QSlide apps among other things, but almost everything you give up you can find replacements for in the app store.

I initially used dailingrin's script to root, and then a little later I installed TWRP according to the guide here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2551499 . After that I used TWRP to flash PhilZ Touch (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2588671) and started messing around with ROMs. As long as you use whichever recovery you install to make a Nandroid backup of the stock ROM before you start flashing new ROMs, you can always go back if you don't like your new ROM.

Its my impression after messing with it for several weeks now that the custom ROMs really unlock the potential of the G Pad's hardware and make using it a much better experience. And since you can always get back to stock with LG's recovery program, you really don't have anything to lose except maybe some time. Its worth the trouble, IMO.

Reference threads:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2554121
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2607333
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RandomChance For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
ermacwins
Old
#8  
ermacwins's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 673
Posts: 3,792
Join Date: Aug 2009

 
DONATE TO ME
@katsika I have latest twrp installed and flashed PA all working good. Now flashed an experimental version of PA and stuck on boot logo. I followed the steps in OP to enter recovery and at the factory reset screen. When I press up and up, nothing happens
LG Nexus 4: AOSPAL 4.0 [BETA6] 20140222
Samsung Galaxy SII: AOSP NeatROM v2.8
LG G PAD 8.3: Paranoid Android 4.1 Beta 2
iPad 2


http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...8#post44803298
 
katsika
Old
#9  
katsika's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 52
Posts: 200
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Athens
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermacwins View Post
@katsika I have latest twrp installed and flashed PA all working good. Now flashed an experimental version of PA and stuck on boot logo. I followed the steps in OP to enter recovery and at the factory reset screen. When I press up and up, nothing happens
to enter recovery this is the key combo:

- Press and hold Power Button + Volume Down
- When the LG logo shows up, release the power button only
- Now press and hold the Power and Volume Up button while keeping your hold on the Volume Down button
- When the factory reset screen appears, release your hold on all buttons
- And Select Up and Up Again
 
ermacwins
Old
#10  
ermacwins's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 673
Posts: 3,792
Join Date: Aug 2009

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by katsika View Post
to enter recovery this is the key combo:

- Press and hold Power Button + Volume Down
- When the LG logo shows up, release the power button only
- Now press and hold the Power and Volume Up button while keeping your hold on the Volume Down button
- When the factory reset screen appears, release your hold on all buttons
- And Select Up and Up Again
I've been doing exactly this, when I press up and up again, it still stays on the factory reset screen.

If I choose to do factory reset, will it wipe my nandroid and titanium backup files?
LG Nexus 4: AOSPAL 4.0 [BETA6] 20140222
Samsung Galaxy SII: AOSP NeatROM v2.8
LG G PAD 8.3: Paranoid Android 4.1 Beta 2
iPad 2


http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...8#post44803298

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes